Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

How important is it to you to own a Handgun?/ Tangent CAR THREAD

I’ve got several, I carry one often. There are many places down here it is unwise to go unarmed.

Wifey and I both own several, but having multiple is probably more important to her than to me. She enjoys them much more than I do, and they just aren’t as fun to me as rifles are. I have my .357 and my .44, but sold off my 1911 and several other “bottom feeders” because meh. I did shoot a friends 10 mm the other day, which got me thinking…

But to echo what’s already been said - the ability and right to own one is much more important to me.

Exactly this, Brent.
Likewise, this is exactly my stance. I have "wanted" a handgun for almost 15 years but actually purchasing one has never climbed from the bottom of the list of "wants". Just don't find them practical for really anything, especially since being a federal employee precludes being able to carry daily (not that I feel the need to carry anyway). Seems a tactical shotgun would be a far better home defense weapon.

“Paranoid” hmmmm, actually kind of take offense to that. In my job I’ve come across too many people that weren’t not prepared n they or family paid a price. There are bad people n bad situations out there that u unknowingly come around doing everyday things; getting gas n groceries, being smart, prepared, willing to protect u n those around u is not “paranoid” n as far as ur Texas card…….

Never owned one until I moved out west and now I feel naked without it in the back country. I pray I never need to use any of mine but I rather have one than not.

I’ve got several hand guns, favor the 357 revolver, 10 mil is sweet. Wife love's her 9m and .25
The extended family owns dozens of flavors . We practice together, at every oppertunity. When hunting or hiking a 357, 9m, or 10m is available.

It’s important to me. I’ve never thought to myself “I wish I didn’t have this handgun with me.” That’s been true in cities and in the backcountry. Actually that’s not true, there have been a couple of hikes up the mountain where I wondered why I brought the gun, water, clothes, and food. Those thoughts usually subsided by the time I got to the top.

I don't need one for hunting but I have a few handguns for personal defense. But I doubt I will buy any more. I enjoy shooting them but Im not what I would call a pistol guy.

I carry a handgun all day at work and do firearms instruction for the agency, primarily handgun instruction. I rarely carry a handgun off duty unless I have some specific reason or justification to do so. My wife has a handgun and a concealed carry permit for her protection when I'm not around.

I used to have all kinds of handguns and shoot competitively but it just got too expensive so I got out of it and sold nearly everything. In addition to my duty handguns (full size and compact) and my wife's concealed carry gun we only have a heritage .22lr revolver that I use on the trap line. I would like a 1911 for the collection and to inherit my grandfathers Colt Python but no plans beyond that.

I believe that handguns are important to be able to own for all Americans that want one. I also believe that all 50 states should have a universal permit but it should require in-person classes with minimum marksmanship requirements with each gun on the permit.

Last edited:
Need and want are very different things. Need? eh. want...yup. That's why I have a dozen of them
Exactly. A man only needs a 10mm. I have 3. Like my rifles tried to get as many different calibers as i could. Big ones like my .454 Casull down to .22. Mixing revolvers and semi.

I was asked and thought I would answer here and pm

The "CMA" shooting from a running horse and the " CFDA" fast draw competition --are two different clubs, although some belong and compete in both. I enjoy both but from a horse you are able to also compete with a lever action rifle which is also fun. So far my speed at "fast drawing" does not allow me to say " your my huckleberry" :(

Own 2 that I now rarely shoot, 9mm and .45, and don't need or want any more right now. I have a CC permit which I don't need any more but will maintain for out of state travel. Hardly ever carry on person because I work in IL but will have in truck or camp when traveling.

I am always kicking the idea around of trading the .45 for a new shotgun but it has the capacity that they would like to outlaw. I'm not paranoid about gun control but I would be pissed if i traded it away and then couldn't replace it if I like.

A small frame shrouded-hammer revolver is part of a basic using collection. They go along with an AR, a 22lr and matching 308 as well as a 12 gauge shotgun. If you don't need it now you should have one put away because it is one of the pieces you are most likely to need.

For civilians the tactical advantage of having a shrouded hammer revolver in your hand while concealed in a pocket and being able to fire from a pocket is well ahead of a high capacity automatic.

The downside is learning to use one. Autos are easier initially. 9mm is usually cheaper than .38. And a jframe can be a handful for some. The answer then has been a 22lr in an additional matching revolver.

All that said, if you live and travel in places where self defense is never necessary then you have tactically beaten handguns. We should all move there.

We several in the safes, 1 is carried all the time when I'm not working, mostly the 2 legged animal is more likely to attempt to harm me or you, than a 4 legged.

I was asked and thought I would answer here and pm

The "CMA" shooting from a running horse and the " CFDA" fast draw competition --are two different clubs, although some belong and compete in both. I enjoy both but from a horse you are able to also compete with a lever action rifle which is also fun. So far my speed at "fast drawing" does not allow me to say " your my huckleberry" :(

I shoot CFDA (Cowboy Fast Draw) weekly (300-600 rounds/week these days). Single action .45 LC (with wax bullets and 209 primers). Several local clubs put on monthly shoots. Good fun.
Also own a few other wheel guns and a couple autos. Carry a Shield 9mm almost constantly. Not paranoid - don't even see many people day to day. Just part of daily routine, like pocket knife.

Back