How do you find a place to hunt?

Do you use kill photos to your advantage?

• Total voters

Bambistew

So I was thinking about this the other day. I'm going down to MT this fall, and am in search of a new place to hunt deer, one for the entertainment of hunting new areas, and another because my old spot isn't likely to be as good as it was in the past for various reasons.

I've always had places picked out that I wanted to try, but for one reason or another never made it, and have quite a few places that I have hunted/scouted in the past for back up. I've also picked a few others completely at random based on general information about the area, harvest stats, bio input, etc, i.e. the Breaks.

If I recall we had a discussion a few years ago about how you find your hunting spots, and I think the consensus was that we all use knowledge gathered by someone else, be it biologists, friends, other hunters, magazines, internet stalking other hunters kill photos, ya know the general stuff.

The last has me a bit perplexed. Let’s say you were looking at someone’s hunting photos posted for the world to see, would you go out of your way to figure out (exactly) where those photos were taken, so you could hunt there? I'm not talking general area, I'm talking same drainage... as in sniping their honey hole.

If yes, how is this any different than your buddy taking you to his favorite spot, and then you going back without him, or asking him.

Last edited:
The last has me a bit perplexed. Let’s say you were looking at someone’s hunting photos posted for the world to see, would you go out of your way to figure out (exactly) where those photos were taken, so you could hunt there? I'm not talking general area, I'm talking same drainage... as in sniping their honey hole.

They willingly shared the information as soon as they posted a picture. That said, I don't know if I'd go out of my way to find out where it is/was. A picture is a moment in time and out of context. That 350" bull may have been killed there because of Joe Blow and his 4 wheeling buddies ran around a gate in the next drainage and pushed the elk there. Or there was a lack of snow up high causing the elk to delay their normal migration, etc. etc.

If people don't disable it, iPhone photos (maybe all cell phone cameras?) leave the exit data with coordinates :D

Let's say you, OSOK, or Stan posts a pic on an open forum...and I discern the exact location. No, I wouldn't go there without you guys saying it's ok. But Joe Public, who doesn't know you guys from Adam, why would he have any compunctions about it...and why would you expect him to?

Did David Axlerod design this poll for you?;)

They willingly shared the information as soon as they posted a picture. That said, I don't know if I'd go out of my way to find out where it is/was. A picture is a moment in time and out of context. That 350" bull may have been killed there because of Joe Blow and his 4 wheeling buddies ran around a gate in the next drainage and pushed the elk there. Or there was a lack of snow up high causing the elk to delay their normal migration, etc. etc.

I'm not talking a single occurance with one big animal, this would be more of a "stalking" exercise, looking for any and all evidence of where someone hunts via multiple internet posts they made over a few years. We all know that most big animals are killed at random times. Knowing the exact coordinates of where the Spider Bull was shot doesn't really do me much good. However knowing where Spidy's 10 little brothers where killed over the course of 5-6 years is something completly different. That spot probably produces animals on a regular basis. We all have our own little slices of heaven, and genally go to ends to protect it. If I post a picture and someone knows where its taken because they've been there, is one thing. Probing for information to figure out where that picture was taken with the full inntent of hunting it for yourself is another all together.

I can't say that its ever crossed my mind to figure out exactly where someone hunts, and then slide in and steal their spot. Frankly, I think its a pretty low life thing to do. I've seen pictures posted, that were taken within yards of spots I've taken game.

Some of us could look at most of the pictures posted on this site, and get within half a state of where they were taken by the geology and vegitation, but most probably aren't going to care much more than that. Maybe I'm alone here? Guess I've never been that desperate to find a place to hunt. :(

Last edited:
If you feel like you have to be sneaky to do it, that should answer the question.

Let's say you, OSOK, or Stan posts a pic on an open forum...and I discern the exact location. No, I wouldn't go there without you guys saying it's ok.

If someone tells me, or I figure out a location, I wont go there unless I get the OK from that person as well. Its called having some class. There are some great guys that have helped me on this forum and if they tell me about a spot, I consider it their spot even if its public and wont go there without asking them first. I would hope for the same consideration as well ;)

Going to that level is pretty extreme, and a dirtbag thing to do. One would almost think that, that much dedication to stalk one guy or group of guys could have yielded the same results through more general or classic resources. I can't imagine it is an easy task trying to locate a few sections of land based on vague references and pictures on the internet.

That said, I've never hunted long enough in a single area to really have a "honey hole" and as a result I put in a lot of work on the internet, google maps, and calling biologists to try and find a decent area to hunt. It is tiresome and frustrating, but just like anything else, generally the one who works the hardest is most successful.

It is an interesting paradox for hunters. In general, we want to see more people hunting, and work to preserve hunting, but at the same time we hold our cards very closely which can discourage other hunters, especially those that have lost their honey hole for one reason or another.

Randy said it best on facebook the other day though. Someone asked him what WY BLM land he was on in his WY elk hunt, to which Randy replied:

We purposefully do not tell the exact units where we are hunting, unless it is a "once-in-lifetime tag." Not just this Wyoming elk hunt you are asking about, but any of our episodes. We usually give general areas, as that lets people know what general herds we are hunting and gives a group of units that are probably similar, allowing them to do their own research. For us to name a single unit would mess up the odds for those fellow hunters who have spent years researching and learning those areas. I know that is probably not the answer you wanted to hear, but that is how we do it, out of respect for our fellow public-land self-guided hunters.

I think his response is pretty much spot on, especially in regards to his show. If some guy on the internet says where he is hunting, a few guys might go there. If Randy were to say where he was, there could be thousands.

Only if its Crittergetter or Greenhorn posting up their pictures. :)

I'll certainly use data gleaned from the internet to confirm whether or not I want to hunt general localities. After that, my own scouting and experience determines which basins I want to hunt. If I can discern where a specific hunter is hunting routinely, why would I want to hunt in an area that he will be directly competing with me? Doesn't make sense to me

Never mind its got to be crittergetters that bull is a monster:D

It's funny that some will go so far out of the way to try and "steal" someone's hard earned area. There are some people that won't even share photos anymore because they know some azzwipe will be hunting them down and following them. Believe me, I thought long and hard about even sharing my photos but know I enjoy looking at other peoples photos and would expect many would like to do the same.

When we were on our way back to up to Montana and stopped in Delta for a quick bite to eat, we saw at least 20+ People take pictures of my elk without even asking. One guy said he had followed us clear from Montrose to ask which unit it came from......Seriously, WTF??

Generally speaking, if you can actually recognise an exact hillside or drainage that someone is hunting by a photo, it means you have been there before.

I know in a hopeful world, most guys would try to earn it on their own instead of trying to overcome someone elses spot, but we always know there will be bottom feeders that are always looking for a handout.........

I have recognized areas in photos posted here before, and I still hunt some of them, but that is because I hunted them already. If I ever get taken to a hunting area that someone else brought me to, and I've never been there, thats their spot, public or not. I don't go back without them, or go with anyone else.

And to add to it............A guy here killed a huge bull a few years ago, people pretty much figured it out and the place just got flooded with people. But in 20 years prior and probably 20 years after, there has not been a comparable bull taken there. People need to understand that sometimes, a big animal can pretty much show up anywhere and at any time.........Following someone that just killed the biggest bull in the area is going to mean your chasing a ghost.......

Your better off finding your own areas to hunt and working your tail off...........the reward is much better than always knowing in your mind that you "stole" someone elses hard work if they weren't willing to give it to you..........

Sounds likes too much work to try and track some one elses spot down. Its sad, but I no longer will tell any one where I hunt and wont bring anyone with me unless were really close. Had 2 really good spots get shot to shit from showing so so friends spots.

It is the human nature of the hunter to want to know where some big bull was killed. I always want to know. I always want to know how it went down as well, I don't know why, I am always curious about that. Honestly, if someone says they shot some big bull out of the window of the truck, then I don't even care where, it was stupid luck.
I often look at pictures online and yes, can probably tell within 400 miles of where it was killed, maybe. If it was killed in MT. But I still dont go out of my way to go anywhere different from where I hunt and where I feel comfortable and confident that I will get something. Even if Greenhorn and Critter gave me GPS points, I still wouldn't use the gas to get there. I may look it up on a map, because of my curiosity mentioned before, but I still wouldn't go there.
I know I have as big of bulls up here as there are anywhere in the state, mind you not in the numbers as say Bear's Paws or somewhere, not even close, but they are there, they are well hidden, and harder to get to and get a shot at than probably anywhere else in MT. But I know they are there and that is where I need to go.

Back