Hold him off for a big one?

MuddyBull

Ok folks I have a 12 year old boy who, on his first attempt, drew the most coveted tag in this area. This hunt is for desert elk, good bull to cow ratio and fair chance for a 300 type bull. I have friends who have hunted/ guided in this area say to not let him shoot anything less than 340". This essentially a once in a lifetime tag with less than 5% draw odds. My original plan when putting all 3 boys in the draw was take the first decent ( 250") bull they had a chance at. I know they would all be thrilled with a bull of that caliber.
Should I worry that if Luke kills a 340" bull on this hunt that he would be "ruined" on the general area bulls he will hunt for the next and very formative years of his hunting career? Would I be cheating him out of a chance of a lifetime if I let him shoot a 250 5x5 on opening morning that he would be happy to take?

I say go for a big one and he will be hooked for life and will be able to shoot anything after that! You will also have a hunting partner for life. Go get the big one!

I say go for a big one. My little brother shot a B and C Rosevelt for his first elk, and has been hooked since. I think he is still just as excited over a raghorn as he was with the first animal. A 300 in bull is a great animal. I have hunted a lot of elk and can only say I have shot one that reaches that mark. Best of luck and congrats on the tag.

Something tells me that you have raised your kids to know that "it's not the kill, it's the hunt". They have learned or will learn how fun it is being out there and the challenge of the hunt. Let him shoot the big one. Congrats on that draw.

good luck to all
the dog

I would think the chance to harvest any legal bull would stick with him far longer than waiting for a nice 6X6 and risk missing out on such a special opportunity. If it locks him in as I hope it does, he can always work toward the big boy in later years. I got my first whitetail buck on my first outing at age 14 and was hooked; no buck fever, just adrenalin, and can still see those two bucks coming through the woods as if it happened this morning. That was 54 years ago. Bring him up right and he'll thank you later.

Your friends are full of chit. Even in the heyday of that area a true 340 class bull was hard to find. I've seen the 340 bulls from there, they either use a magic tape or should be called "could of" bulls. Could of been 340 with longer 5ths. Could of been 340 with longer mainbeams....

Forget the trophy hunting and just take your boy hunting!

Let him decide.
If he's old enough to kill an elk he's old enough to pick one out.

I agree with Randy11, if he see's one he really likes and wants to shoot it, then let him shoot it.

Thanks for the input guys. I know the boy will always be a hunter, he took a big Black Hills tom turkey last Spring with a 60 yard shot from a 22 mag. The bird just floped over and done. When I picked it up there was lung blood laying beneath it. That Bird is the family record with a 10.5" beard and over 1' spurs, very nice for Wyoming and he still beams when we talk about it.
wyo deer, I know what you mean about the area and the quality is down from the hey day. Lots of broke up racks there but I have shed hunted it, know people who have killed bulls there and feel confident it is still the best area for a young hunter to kill a big bull.
I will have a talk with the boy and see what he wants out of the hunt... I'll get back to you with his wish.

I know nothing about elk but I do know alot about taking kids hunting. You know your son better than anyone on here. Is he patient...or not. This is his hunt, not yours or your buddies. Ask him if he wants to take a few days so there will be no pressure on what to shoot or running out of time. Let him decide. I have learned that most, not all, youth want instant gratification. Let this be a hunt of a lifetime, even if it is 5 hours into the first morning. Heck, he might be a trooper and want to go for the long haul. Trust me, it drives me crazy when my son/daughter wants to leave right before "primetime", but I know that if I don`t they might not go with me again.

I'd gauge his enthusiasm and see what happens. If you think he's got a genuine full season of hunting in him, then I wouldn't let him shoot the first dink you come across. I'm not saying to make him hold out for a 340" bull, but at least get him on something that he can brag about for a while.

But if he starts to lose interest, get his crosshairs on a bull quick and be done with it.

I know a few hunters who regret "marching" the hunt right out of their kids in an effort to get them a good buck or bull. Now their adult kids could care less about hunting and the old man is packing elk out all by himself. Don't be that guy.

genesis & belly deep, Rest assured I will not pressure him, I am very carefull not to over fun any of the boys on outdoor pursuits. So far all four love everything about the hunting/fishing and give me a never ending excuse to be outside and playing. The bonus.. my loving bride totally encourages every bit of it!

Can you get an extra cow tag to let him shoot something right away? I always have an itchy trigger finger at the beginning of the season and if I can even just get a doe tag and go shoot a doe, it is easier to wait for the big one when i have the right tag.

Any solid mature six should be dead. Most of the time you can scratch 30 inches off the average of what everyone will say is a possibilty in the hunt area anyway.

Your friends are full of chit. Even in the heyday of that area a true 340 class bull was hard to find. I've seen the 340 bulls from there, they either use a magic tape or should be called "could of" bulls. Could of been 340 with longer 5ths. Could of been 340 with longer mainbeams....

I love it when the truth comes out. Lots of BS out there, and sometimes you need chest waders to get through it all.

You must not of heard about the new world record they found out in the sand dunes thats so big game and snake put a collar on it so they can keep track of it. that shits real i read about it on the internet.

All joking aside just go hunt and im sure he will tell you when he sees the one he wants and im sure you guys will have an amazing hunt together. all your boys will be hooked on hunting im sure!!

Dude... From someone that his boy killed a GREAT buck last year for his first buck I would say Hold out.... for .....what he wants. Most people can't score a 280 from a 310. My boy would have killed a 170 buck and would have been stoked. We happened to get him a better one by a few inches and it was awesome !!! Best part is I was with him and so were a couple of other great guys.

Take lots of pictures and if he killls a 3 point Raghorn dink or a 340 or comes home with nothing but memories and an unpunched tag, Post pictures and let me be the frst to PRE-congratulate him and you !!!

I'd let the boy decide what he wants.Wouldn't be a bad idea to get him out there before season just so he can see whats around.He may see one he likes alot then,and will be easier to hold off on a smaller bull
Sounds like your both going to have alot of fun either way in the area he drew

First off congrats on a great tag. Here is my 2 cents. This may be a shock everyone but I would have him hold out for a big one. It sounds like he enjoys the outdoors and more than likely has had to work a little to get/Shoot something. Hunting is not easy and showing him that a little work can be a huge reward is not a bad thing. Most of the time when I have a great tag I dont want it to end. I don't understand the guys that wait all year to go hunting then go out and shoot the first thing and go home. Look at it as an extended camping trip with the bonus of getting to shoot a big bull. If he has time to hunt let him take a morning off when time gets tough (if he wants). If you truly have a great tag it won't be a problem shooting any bull on the last day of your hunt.

Good luck and I hope he shoots a big one.

Discuss this with your son ahead of time. Make sure he understands the potential of the unit and the potential outcomes. This is his hunt, so help him make an educated decision. Does he want a trophy and is he willing to eat his tag by holding out? Or is he happy with a 280 class bull. Make sure you have a goal in mind ahead of time and don't wait until a bull is in sight to decide if you want to take him or not. Then when the shot opportunity arises you can advise him if the bull meets his goal or not. However, let him make the final decision to shoot or not - this is his hunt.

Also, are you considering getting his bull mounted? if so, do you have minimum standards for having a mount done?

My best advise is to let him spend some time scouting the unit with you if possible. Let him see first hand what the unit is capable of so that he doesn't want to shoot the first bull he sees.

Good Luck on the the hunt

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back