Hobbies other than hunting?

I think like a lot of guys I have a fair amount of interests, but they aren't all that consistent.

My wife and I go to the gym together about 5-6 days a week. I play hockey twice a week (sep-may). We spend a lot of weekends up at our cabin year round, so we get a lot of fishing, wake boarding, tubing, swimming, snowshoeing, yard work done up there. My wife has started to show some interest in golfing, so we have gotten out to play a little bit the last few years.

This summer I am taking her backpacking for the first time, and we are going to climb Cloud Peak in the Bighorns. We will see how it goes.

I fish, backpack, hike, shoot, trap, call coyotes, etc. I started last year cutting and polishing Montana moss agates.

Attachments

• 1st agate 010.JPG
    1st agate 010.JPG
    115.1 KB · Views: 343
  • agate1.jpg
    agate1.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 408
  • agate2.jpeg
    agate2.jpeg
    84.7 KB · Views: 412
Fishing with my wife! Nothing better than seeing a big smile on her face when she catches a nice fish. Traveling has been a new one for us but I would really like to start making hunting knives.

I'm sure golf will be out of the picture after my surgery so I guess sitting in the boat it is.

Bike racing and the training pretty much block out any time that I'm not hunting. Mostly road and cyclocross these days. Cyclocross is hard because it's a fall sport and it's my favorite cycling discipline right up against hunting. Road fills the gap between turkey season and the fall.

I definitely shoot, reload, camp and fish but they are purely opportunitic.

I refuse to have video games in the house. I try to limit the tv time for the goobers. I've got a baby coming in two weeks so I tried to find something that entertains the older two and I can stay close to town. This hobby is a lot more than I thought but RC cars ain't what they used to be. These are a blast.....for all of us!!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    256 KB · Views: 360
Floating the river and fly fishing or camping most weekends. Always have the family along. The boy is a fishaholic so I always have a fishing or hunting partner. Just built a house last year and am trying to finish the basement so I guess that's my hobby now.

Probably fish as much as I hunt, all forms and for anything that swims.

Reloading/shooting, cleaning skulls.

Like to hike/camp and pick up sheds...

Attachments

• smaller.jpg
    smaller.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 377
  • may16.jpg
    may16.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 400
Last edited:
If it came down to one thing i would choose fly fishing.Otherwise my life single and now married with kid has been about bagging peaks,mountain biking,kayaking,canoeing,paddle boarding,working out,telemark skiing,cross-country skiing,....just about anything that gets me away AND is quiet.(read:non-motorized).Looking forward to finishing my recent new home and getting back to Montana fun.

Fishing, canoeing, camping, hiking, just about anything to get outside. Does training working bird dogs count as hunting? Also like to cook, especially stuff I've grown, caught, or hunted.

The wife and I salmon fish (spring and fall chinook) together often enough to have all the salmon the family can eat and we eat a lot. We love to dig clams and crab as well! We have been collecting wild mushrooms the last couple years as well. There is always something to do here on the coast that involves acquiring food.:)

Looking in at our beach from a dory boat.

We also spend a lot of time hiking with our Catahoula Cur / Husky Toco.

I like to play the guitar too but due to the fact I didn't start until well into my 30's it is frustrating. Wife is an artist in her spare time and makes a bit of money at it.

I'm not sure where to start or what counts as a hobby. I will try anything and usually enjoy it, but once I get good at something I tend to get bored and put it on the shelf. I have a detached garage that is clear full of old hobbies. I'm always excited to revive a hobby if my wife or kids want to try, but otherwise I keep looking for something new.
Never mind all the dormant hobbies, here's what I've picked up recently.
Last winter I really jumped into muzzleloading. I found a 1970's vintage muzzie that somebody put together, but never fired and didn't really quite finish. There are just a few numbers stamped on the barrel, so I don't have any idea who made it. The stock was just rough cut, so I carved and sanded it down to fit me perfectly. I made a few touch-ups to internal parts to make it more reliable. I didn't like the bullet choices for .54 cal, so I bought a pot and some molds and started pouring bullets. Figured out the right load and have it shooting accurately beyond what I can see with iron sights. I shot a moose with it in November.
While I was at it, I also bought a blackpowder shotgun. It took a bit to pattern all the different loads for the variety of game that I wanted to pursue. So far I've harvested geese (snow and Canada), turkey, pheasants, chukar, grouse, and sandhill crane with it.

This winter I came across a new idea that I had never heard before, but I was instantly intrigued. I saved the leg bones from my moose and turned them into knife blades. I made the first attempt in mid December and each one looks better than the last. I'm very excited that my daughter has taken an interest in this hobby. She's started making some for a school shop class project.

Attachments

• IMG_6185a.jpg
    IMG_6185a.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 417
  • IMG_6191a.jpg
    IMG_6191a.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 418
  • IMG_6200a.jpg
    IMG_6200a.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 422
  • IMG_6207a.jpg
    IMG_6207a.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 483
Like 1 Pointer, time and money is a factor limiting any hobbies for me. In what spare time I do have, I sometimes dabble with jujitsu, teach women's self-defense and workout for that next out-west hunting adventure. I also live within 2 miles of Lake Michigan's Little Bay De Noc and I have a boat....problem is I'm probably the worlds worst Walleye fishman. Seeing as how Randy and his wife love Walleye, maybe they can take a road trip to the U.P. and show me a few things. I'm sure "Stillkickin" wouldn't mind a visit from them!

That is amazing!
Those photos.... WOW!
I'm not sure where to start or what counts as a hobby. I will try anything and usually enjoy it, but once I get good at something I tend to get bored and put it on the shelf. I have a detached garage that is clear full of old hobbies. I'm always excited to revive a hobby if my wife or kids want to try, but otherwise I keep looking for something new.
Never mind all the dormant hobbies, here's what I've picked up recently.
Last winter I really jumped into muzzleloading. I found a 1970's vintage muzzie that somebody put together, but never fired and didn't really quite finish. There are just a few numbers stamped on the barrel, so I don't have any idea who made it. The stock was just rough cut, so I carved and sanded it down to fit me perfectly. I made a few touch-ups to internal parts to make it more reliable. I didn't like the bullet choices for .54 cal, so I bought a pot and some molds and started pouring bullets. Figured out the right load and have it shooting accurately beyond what I can see with iron sights. I shot a moose with it in November.
While I was at it, I also bought a blackpowder shotgun. It took a bit to pattern all the different loads for the variety of game that I wanted to pursue. So far I've harvested geese (snow and Canada), turkey, pheasants, chukar, grouse, and sandhill crane with it.

This winter I came across a new idea that I had never heard before, but I was instantly intrigued. I saved the leg bones from my moose and turned them into knife blades. I made the first attempt in mid December and each one looks better than the last. I'm very excited that my daughter has taken an interest in this hobby. She's started making some for a school shop class project.

Fishing when I can,rare now.
Furnituremaking is what I love doing,will again when shop is up.
Until then scouting/exploring/artifact finding/hiking/bike....ranch work!
What's a gym?

If you like to go fishing you need to get out to Quemado lake. I haven't been in 3 years but the last time I was there the musky fishing was great.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gcporteous
Back