Caribou Gear Tarp

Hobbies other than hunting?

If you like to go fishing you need to get out to Quemado lake. I haven't been in 3 years but the last time I was there the musky fishing was great.
Yeah I know.
I was just thinking about it,seeing I was just up there the other day. A few folks out,lake is clear.
I think 2 rod set up,1 float a nightcrawler for trout and cast the bass rod with a rapala for Tigers.Wonder if one of my saltwater wireleaders will work?
Never fished for them,but have seen some BIG ones from Bluewater(nearby100mi),and Quemado.
Too busy at my ranch watching elk I guess..........

Other than hunting.

My hobbies have changed over the years, not that I don't enjoy the old hobbies, it is a matter of priorities and time. (Or lack there of!)

For me, running has been my primary hobby for the last 8 years or so. Long distances are my preference. Half marathon and longer. Helps keep me in shape to hunt backcountry.

I am selective about how often I race. I have a difficult time holding back and I have a tendency to drive myself into the ground.

(2013 May marathon was the "bad")

The good and the ugly.

Boston 2011 finish and 2014 finish to my first 50 mile race.

Attachments

• Boston 2011A.jpg
    Boston 2011A.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 338
  • BHTR 2014 Finish.jpg
    BHTR 2014 Finish.jpg
    262.5 KB · Views: 327
Walleye fishing, and flying . I got my license back in '95 and since bought a plane with three others and formed an LLC. We split hangar, maintenance, everything but fuel 4 ways, to make it affordable. One of the best decisions I've ever made. If anyone is even slightly thinking about getting into general aviation, pm me with questions -I would love to help someone go from 'thinking' to 'doing'!

Attachments

• plane.1.jpg
    plane.1.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 319
Cross country skiing in the winter - if there's snow in MT! Helping my wife tend to our little hobby farm - chickens, garden, bees, etc. Hanging with my "Little Brother" from Big Brothers Big Sisters. He LOVES to fish, so I get to fish at least once a week. I used to backpack for work in Montana, but i have trouble just hiking now. There needs to be some sort of scouting involved, or shed hunting. Summer time is full of floating (2 canoes, a raft, and an inflatable kayak) and fishing. My wife loves to flyfish, so I'm usually on the oars while she casts.
Life is good (great).

I also live within 2 miles of Lake Michigan's Little Bay De Noc and I have a boat....problem is I'm probably the worlds worst Walleye fishman. Seeing as how Randy and his wife love Walleye, maybe they can take a road trip to the U.P. and show me a few things. I'm sure "Stillkickin" wouldn't mind a visit from them!

BIg Fin keeps threatening to show up for a fishing trip, but , I think we need to invite Mrs. Fin and have her assistant drive her up here, bait her hooks, etc.

Well, let's see...I do some downhill skiing every year. Not as much as i used to as the brokenness of my body increases. I love working with wood whenever I get the chance. I have built a playhouse for the lil one, some furniture and a builtin at the house. I also love any excuse to run a saw and cut wood. If there was decent money in it I would go full time with that :) Also, I love to cook and specialize in German and Italian food from scratch :)

Fly fishing, hiking/backpacking, shed hunting, and exercise are probably my main hobbies outside of hunting. I used to shoot a lot of trap and would love to get back into it.

Yeah I know.
I was just thinking about it,seeing I was just up there the other day. A few folks out,lake is clear.
I think 2 rod set up,1 float a nightcrawler for trout and cast the bass rod with a rapala for Tigers.Wonder if one of my saltwater wireleaders will work?
Never fished for them,but have seen some BIG ones from Bluewater(nearby100mi),and Quemado.
Too busy at my ranch watching elk I guess..........

We had luck with a decent medium rod, 25 lb braided line(no wire leaders) and bucktails. We didn't catch anything huge but this setup had worked for northerns all over so we figured it would work for hybrids. I really need to get a trip together to bluewater. Some of the tigers they have been getting out of there are amazing. Better do it this year or next since game and fish has stopped stocking them

We had luck with a decent medium rod, 25 lb braided line(no wire leaders) and bucktails. We didn't catch anything huge but this setup had worked for northerns all over so we figured it would work for hybrids. I really need to get a trip together to bluewater. Some of the tigers they have been getting out of there are amazing. Better do it this year or next since game and fish has stopped stocking them
I have a bunch of bucktails and spinners I made. Another hobby...
I saw some pics of 40-50" fish out of Bluewater,smaller here @ Quemado,but Big! misprint on poundage...
The trout are dinks compared to the Sierra trout I got used to.

Last edited:
Built 3 boats including a cedar strip canoe and a driftboat. Woodworking was a passion until I bought my furniture company. I have done a lot of metal detecting and drywashing for gold. Love to salmon and bass fish so Alaska or Oregon for salmon every year. Taking the go fast bass boat to Powell for a week in May for some fishing. Keep plenty busy and try to take my grandson when he wants to go.

BIg Fin keeps threatening to show up for a fishing trip, but , I think we need to invite Mrs. Fin and have her assistant drive her up here, bait her hooks, etc.

We'll have to get that invite out to Mrs. Fin then Mark! Maybe Big Fin is a little reluctant to bring her here seeing how much she loves fishing and the fact she'd be so close to some of the best Walleye waters in the U.S. (the Great Lakes)......he probably thinks she might not want to leave and would want to turn hunttalk into fishtalk.

Fishing when I have time, but most of my time is taken up by home and ranch projects, and day to day tasks at the ranch. the wife and I like to travel when we can, and are planning another trip to Hawaii soon. the wife gardens, and is very artistic and makes a little extra money on the side with her paintings and ceramics

I live my hobby , art , furniture, objects conservation and refinishing. Plus painting, turkey call making, building flintlocks and long rides on the HD

I have a big wood furnace that takes a lot of my time between feeding it all winter and prepping for it the rest of the time.

Fishing takes over when not hunting or moving firewood.

Contract work with Game and Parks takes up some of my spring as well as assisting local ranchers with controlled burns to battle cedar trees.

Being retired, I guess that my real hobby is doing whatever hits me at the time. All of which is usually followed up by an appropriate amount of alcoholic beverages.

The last two years I've been back at school trying to earn my civil engineering degree. With a 45-50 hour work week, it's left time for little else. Taxidermy is my other main hobby, but I'm doing less and less.

lionedit_zps94ea9acc.jpg

dbear2_zpsdf2e0f51.jpg

BryceBuck.jpg

nmtaxi....I think your well past the hobby stage.
If I ever have some extra $(HAH) I'd love a mount,til then euros and great memories stay with me.
Be great to see some first hand. I get into big Chitty once in a while....

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back