Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Hobbies other than hunting?

Hiking, camping, traveling, working. Spending as much time as I can with my family when I am not at work is all that matters to me. Any event we do together is always fun and an adventure.

If I had my choice and was single. I would be living spring/summer/fall in AK and hunting and fishing as much as possible and then winter in Appalachia.

Self bow making, arrow making, reloading, volunteer at 4h shooting sports as an instructor, fish with my kid, or any other activity she's into.

Motorcycle riding.

Attachments

• ACCE794E-2001-4315-8F4A-8E6503470648.jpeg
    ACCE794E-2001-4315-8F4A-8E6503470648.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 5
Other than the fishing, hunting, hiking, I have really gotten into Magic: The Gathering over the past year or so. Played 20 years ago in college with friends, but not since then. My wife and I play, mostly, but I have tricked a couple friends into starting up and we have a little play group that is getting going. Good times.

I’m a saltwater kayak fisherman. Spin and fly gear. I used to tie flies but I went crazy tying them back in the mid 2000’s and I have not needed to tie any in years. I would have a bit of a learning curve getting back into tying.

Since my son is a fishing nut I’m getting more into it. I grew up enjoying it, like every other kid that grows up in the sticks, I can catch catfish out of creeks and everything out of farm ponds. Learning to fish other species and larger bodies of water has been fun and frustrating at the same time.

Walleye have been my nemesis. Took the family to target walleye on a semi local lake last year. Got skunked. A buddy of mine went 2 days later running the same setups and limited out in 2 hours.

Fishing is similar to hunting with a muzzleloader or golfing. There’s times you just wanna throw all your rods and lures in the water, pull the plug on the boat and swim to shore.

All I really do is hunt and fish. I regular fish and fly fish, and I look them as slightly separate hobbies.

I got into tying flies this winter to pass the time. I'm really bad at it but its fun getting better at something as an adult.

I also do jiu-jitsu and few days a week to stay in shape. Used to do it a lot more seriously in my 20s, now its more to maintain fitness.

Very envious of you! Sure wish I could take some time and visit! I've done ALMOST everything in Alaska (well, not really...) but getting out remote like that is still on my list.
Careful what you ask for. I've tried to hire folks to come stay at the cabin for a week or so n help finish it out. 30 bucks cash n can't find anyone. Oh well I like doing that work n kinda picky.
Work for 10-12 hours n go for a snogo ride. Maybe find some moose antlers. Stock up on spruce amber.
Or sit on the deck , no sounds. Then the sounds of the local wolf pack start to be heard as they start their nightly forage. If you're really fortunate you will be able to listen in on a kill.
Or the noise that a couple lynx can make when scrapping it up is something to hear. Alley cats on steroids.
Oops, guess one of my other hobbies is daydreaming about being in the bush

Careful what you ask for. I've tried to hire folks to come stay at the cabin for a week or so n help finish it out. 30 bucks cash n can't find anyone. Oh well I like doing that work n kinda picky.
Work for 10-12 hours n go for a snogo ride. Maybe find some moose antlers. Stock up on spruce amber.
Or sit on the deck , no sounds. Then the sounds of the local wolf pack start to be heard as they start their nightly forage. If you're really fortunate you will be able to listen in on a kill.
Or the noise that a couple lynx can make when scrapping it up is something to hear. Alley cats on steroids.
Sounds like paradise to me, actually. Getting tired of the life here in Illinois. Wish I would have made it back one last time to our cabin up there before we sold it. Check still isn't in my hands, so you never know!

This thread has made me realize that i have too many pricey hobbies. I like to work and ride my atv's and motorcycle, wrench on trucks, and most recently have gotten back into modelling too. When i was young i filled all my non hunting/fishing time with modelling. Friends have recently gotten me into the warhammer 40k modelling and playing. Yikes. Drugs would be cheaper...........

My main hobbies are:

Music- I'm a singer/writer that would play around a fair amount pre-pandemic. Starting back into it now.
Nature photography
Golf
Used to spend a lot of time on the water fishing/rafting when I lived out west. Don't fish much anymore, but try and take one solo and one group trip to the Boundary Waters every summer.

I also help my daughter with her taxidermy business. I do all the heavy work. Putting these moose sheds on a faux skull was too much for her to handle. A b*tch of a job. The horns were way too big for the skull. I also do a lot of the custom woodworking. She orders most finished plaques cheaper than I could buy the wood.20200315_200821.jpg20210620_183431.jpg

I should put you in touch with my buddy down in Happy Valley. He's a fishing guide and one hell of a carpenter. AK FnG has things pretty screwed it this year.

I spent most of my workin career sitting on mountain tops basically camping out. I worked while the world played. In the winter was camped out trapping.
I maybe spent 4 months living at home in the spring. Never had a summer really off with the other half 40 years of working
We were always working. Making hay while the sun shined is the old saying.

My hobby now is totally living and loving my life taking each day as they come in retirement. Learning how to steelhead fishing, learning how to elk hunt and now onto something new rock hounding and actually figuring out what in the heck did I just pick up?

Life passes by in the blink of an eye. Be careful what you wish for, enjoy what you have and don't wish for tomorrow to come.

Hike, camp, fish, fly fish, fly tying, rugby, cooking, skiing, and just getting back into homebrew.

Really excited to get back into rugby, above everything else. But also ready to do more hiking and fishing in the mountains this year.

I added 100 apple trees to my hunting property. 32 are fenced in and growing on trellis wires. I need to spend a full or 2 days pruning this weekend. Keeps me busy all year, too busy and I question my decisions a lot these days.
How many acres are they spread acrossed how many did you plant in each dpot?

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hamms12oz
Back