MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Here's why elk ranches should be illegal in every state

280, I don't advocate shooting captive animals in an arcade, NHY came up with that vision all on his own.

The idea is, if none of dead in elk farm tested positive for CWD over a 5 year period, then they give them a health card. It doesn't meant none will get sick in the future, it just means they have been disease free for 5 years. The minute they don't test a dead one, they loose the status of disease free, it says that.

What does that madcow link you gave say about this stuff, anything new? I didn't even check if its been updated recently, has it? :confused:

Hmm. Tom - do you mean that since folks on here call ranchers who use public land to graze "welfare ranchers," that people who hunt Public Land are "welfare hunters?" Kinda interesting, when you look at it that way.

After all, a rancher pays lower fees for public land than for private, and is thus "subsidized" by the rest of our tax dollars. A public land hunter pays a fee (hunting license) lower than he would to hunt private land, and is thus also subsidized by non-hunters' tax dollars.... (After all, hunting license fees hardly cover the cost or provide maintenance for public land in most cases...)

Cali,
You might want to actually get out and hunt on public lands instead of just buying landowner tags to sit over water buckets to shoot elk.
The hunting license costs the same on public land and private land, at least in the State of Idaho.

JC, Who pays the fees for management, for the salaries, for the trucks, etc. on the 60% of Idaho that is public land?

How much of that is federal support, that's where welfare comes from, the feds., right?

I'll bet there's a budget link somewhere for all those expenses.

JC, Who pays the fees for management, for the salaries, for the trucks, etc. on the 60% of Idaho that is public land?

How much of that is federal support, that's where welfare comes from, the feds., right?

Nope, wildlife management on public land is paid for by the state, with hunter license dollars.

280, I don't advocate shooting captive animals in an arcade, NHY came up with that vision all on his own.

The idea is, if none of dead in elk farm tested positive for CWD over a 5 year period, then they give them a health card. It doesn't meant none will get sick in the future, it just means they have been disease free for 5 years. The minute they don't test a dead one, they loose the status of disease free, it says that.

What does that madcow link you gave say about this stuff, anything new? I didn't even check if its been updated recently, has it? :confused:

Tom, who do you think supplies 'arcade' targets?

Tom,
If the whitetail and muleys are interbreeding that is something that they are doing on there own....( NO HUMAN ASSISTANCE) There isn't a whole lot that we could do to stop that. There is no reason that red deer and elk should interbreed. It would be one thing if the red deer were running wild here and it just happened because there wouldn't be much that we could do about that either. However we can control that issue because they are not running wild. Why would anybody want to mess with a good thing. If its not broke dont fix it. If somebody wants to hunt red deer then go to europe or stick with the lame high fence hunts. If you call high fences hunting(NOT)
Bottom line is there should never be any cross.
As far as the CWD goes, your chances go up inside game farms for disease spreading. Animals are cooped up to close together. Wisconsin has had a bunch of cases of CWD now in the past couple of years...Guess where they came from.......GAME FARMS OUTLAW ALL OF THEM THERE IS NO SPORT INVOLVED IN IT ANYWAY

Tom, do you notice that of the 20+ people that responded to this thread, only one agrees with your point of view?

And yet Tom is still holding the 20+ people at bay with Comments like :

I think the boogey man gene is the main problem here! I'm glad it seems I don't have it yet.

Its probably the wild elk's fault that there is any crossbreeding, so they should pay, the caretakers of them.

Like where did the idea that someone would like to cross a zebra with a whitetail come from? Is that something they are working on in your part of the woods?

280, I understand you want that and I hope you would shoot any crossbreeds, so they wouldn't further breed, would you?

You against coming from and heading to the facts? Not mass hysteria, missinformation and twisted views, but the facts. That's where that post is coming from, get it?

I thought, maybe the public land hunters can't even recognize them as facts to discuss. Kind of like a welfare rancher, but they hunt off the public land for a cheap price and don't take care of it much, instead of ranch it.

A fact is more like a premise and his facts about the cow test have nothing to do with hunting or no hunting. You guys make up all kinds of stuff it seems like and get messed up.

Its easy for most people to miss a sign and speed sometime or to get back to their parking meter and its expired and they have a ticket. We don't shut down people's driving for that type of violation,

That happens in zoos a lot, but its not a zoo animal, if its in a high fence, that's not sufficient, there's a lot of difference.

People have known fences break for a long time, even before elk farms, they knew that, I bet.
Huh, not tested? Geesh, are you blind?

I pick the accurate ones to be accurate ones.
I pick the non-accurate ones to be not accurate.

If its always inconclusive, then they don't use that one. Geesh, some of the posts you people put up here.

I don't advocate shooting captive animals in an arcade

You guys really need to throw in the Towel when you've been Schooled... repetedly!! :D :D :D

Its like deja vu all over again. haha

There's some new stuff sometimes though, so we keep it up.

What does the state pay the feds. for grass eaten by elk? The welfare ranchers pay for the grass eaten by their cattle, but its a reduced rate, right, because public land is multipurpose? One of the purposes is for elk to live on it. They eat quite a bit, they're big animals.

What does the state pay the feds. for grass eaten by elk? The welfare ranchers pay for the grass eaten by their cattle, but its a reduced rate, right, because public land is multipurpose? One of the purposes is for elk to live on it. They eat quite a bit, they're big animals.
Yeah! I'd like to hear some cometary on this...

Back