Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Heads up Idaho hunters

Dang Idaho, always making things difficult.

Can you call? Legislators are usually busy, and an email, followed with a call can help bring more attention so that they contact you.

The only group I know fighting this is the Idaho Wildlife Federation, are there any others?

I'm not sure any others know about it. I haven't seen anything about it on IWF's site either. They list the Governor's tag bill but it is listed on the agenda as follows

"(To be held indefinitely; will be heard at a later date.)"

I'm definitely more concerned about S1283 especially with the speed it seems to be moving.

I'd call IWF and see if they're working on it. This should definitely get shuttered ASAP!

I just shot them an email as well as ISCAC. I already put it out to my RMEF regional director and hope he shares it with his contacts. I figure now I'll wait and see what happens.

A bit more info about this bill. If you don't know Siddoway look up Juniper Mountain Ranch. Siddoway is the owner. The website boasts over 11,000 high fenced acres for hunting elk and bison.

Not to mention that the area he has fenced is really critical mule deer and elk winter range. Its really agrivating when you look at an ownership map and see the sections of state and blm he fenced in as well. Plus he owns plenty of other acreage that he gets landowner permits for. Idaho politics is awesome!

Not to mention that the area he has fenced is really critical mule deer and elk winter range. Its really agrivating when you look at an ownership map and see the sections of state and blm he fenced in as well. Plus he owns plenty of other acreage that he gets landowner permits for. Idaho politics is awesome!

And these are the committees he is on-

Chair of Agricultural Affairs
On Local Government and Taxation
On Resource and Environment

Wow you have definitely got a better response than I have. I'm afraid I live in the "you wouldn't vote for me anyway" part of district 25. I would be surprised to get so much as a simple acknowledgement that my email was received by my local senator.

Update- Just checked my gmail and here is Senator Werks comments-

Senator Elliot Werk [email protected]
4:03 PM (22 hours ago)

Larry: Thanks for taking the time to write to and speak with me. It was nice to touch base after a few years. We are in complete agreement about these bills, the constitutional amendment, and the importance of maintaining outdoor activities for the people – not the wealthy. I will continue to remain vigilant against these attempts to hijack the system for the benefit of the few. I invite you and Judy to come and speak with your three legislators at our weekly office hours every Thursday from 7:00 - 8:30 PM in the Borah High School Career Center. You are also invited to our next public forum this Thursday, February 9th at 7:00 PM in the library at Bishop Kelly High School.Thanks againElliot

While I oppose S1282 & 1283 and have voiced my concrens to my legislators.
HO457 needs support. It's a concept I proposed ~ year ago to the ID Fish and Game Comission. It's got legs and hopefully will become a reality. In a nut shell it would allow a parent who has drawn a controlled hunt tag to assign it to a kid 15 years or less. It has raised a few questions related to policing and implementation that have been largely addressed. The concept was born as a result of a good friend drawing a unit 38 turkey tag and his 10 year old daughter failing to draw. He wanted in the worst way to have a mechanism in place to allow his daughter to be able to hunt in this sought after hunt.
So while communicating opposition to the senate bills please voice your support of HO 457.
Thanks
WD

While I oppose S1282 & 1283 and have voiced my concrens to my legislators.
HO457 needs support. It's a concept I proposed ~ year ago to the ID Fish and Game Comission. It's got legs and hopefully will become a reality. In a nut shell it would allow a parent who has drawn a controlled hunt tag to assign it to a kid 15 years or less. It has raised a few questions related to policing and implementation that have been largely addressed. The concept was born as a result of a good friend drawing a unit 38 turkey tag and his 10 year old daughter failing to draw. He wanted in the worst way to have a mechanism in place to allow his daughter to be able to hunt in this sought after hunt.
So while communicating opposition to the senate bills please voice your support of HO 457.
Thanks
WD

While I'm sure good intentions were the reasoning for it, I can only imagine the amount of non hunting parents and grandparents that will be applying for tags simply as extra chances for kids.

While I'm sure good intentions were the reasoning for it, I can only imagine the amount of non hunting parents and grandparents that will be applying for tags simply as extra chances for kids.

IDFG will hope to see a small increase in revenue because of this.

All I know is wildlife management in Idaho is in dire need of a new politics free direction.

Last edited:

You know what Tone, if it brings more mentored youth hunters into the fold, I'm all for it.
WD

You know what Tone, if it brings more mentored youth hunters into the fold, I'm all for it.
WD

Got to go with Wally Dog on this one. Not all the new ideas are bad. I think the 3 day fishing license added to a NR hunting license is also a good idea.

Here is how HO457 would change things
2. No person shall:
(B) Transfer any fishing, hunting, or trapping license to any other person or for any person to make use of such license issued to any other person

New Text

with the exception of a parent or grandparent designating any controlled hunt tag or controlled hunt permit to a minor child or grandchild as prescribed by rules of the commission. A controlled hunt tag or controlled hunt permit can be designated only to a minor child with a valid hunting license or one who is participating in a mentored hunting program as prescribed by rules of the commission. A controlled hunt tag or controlled hunt permit designated to a minor child cannot be sold.

The law states a minor child which is anyone under 18 not 15 as stated above. Is it possible that draw odds may go down, Yes. Will that in turn increase funding to ID F&G, Yes. Will it possibly increase the number of youth hunters, Yes. Is that a good trade, Yes.

The fact is F&G needs more money to operate. If they can make more money by increasing the number of youth hunters without necessarily increasing the number of hunters in general I see that as a win win. I think they should add a provision to cover the cost of the tag change however. As it stands now the cost would be absorbed by F&G and may take up any additional revenue acquired by the additional app. fees.

I did get a reply from one of the emails I sent to the committee about S1283

"Thanks Travis, I’ll keep your remarks in mind when it’s time to vote on this matter. Lee Heider"

Can't complain about that considering he isn't even from my district.

I did get a reply from one of the emails I sent to the committee about S1283

"Thanks Travis, I’ll keep your remarks in mind when it’s time to vote on this matter. Lee Heider"

Can't complain about that considering he isn't even from my district.

I think that is reply #1 in the senator/congressman's "Handbook of Canned Answers" folder that is handed out to them in their freshman orientation packet. :D

I agree. It will drastically increase draw odds for the premium units. I'm not a fan of it.

Maybe because my kids aren't of hunting age yet, but the amount of youth hunts and special dispensation for them are getting close to being too much. IMO, recruitment and retention of the next generation doesn't have as much to do with tag availability/price as it does with what's going on at home.

I agree. It will drastically increase draw odds for the premium units. I'm not a fan of it.

Maybe because my kids aren't of hunting age yet, but the amount of youth hunts and special dispensation for them are getting close to being too much. IMO, recruitment and retention of the next generation doesn't have as much to do with tag availability/price as it does with what's going on at home.

Your two statements are somewhat contradictory. If hunting recruitment doesn't have much to do with tag availability/price then where would the drastic change in odds come from? If the parents/grandparents are not willing to take their kids hunting I highly doubt they are willing to put in for the CH tags and pay the CH fees.

I still support the idea however I'm not sure I still support the bill as it is written. There are to many grey areas that have come to mind. If a family all decides to put in for a goat tag so little Johnny has a better chance of goat hunting they could in fact drastically change the odds in that draw. The other issue I see is if a family decides to put in to help little Johnny and both his 90 year old grandparents who have no ability nor interest in hunting draw tags only one can give the tag away and the other is most likely turned back when it could have been awarded to someone else in the first place.

How do they contradict? They make the premium units harder to get, but no way, no how keep Junior from going hunting. Plenty of easier to draw units or OTC tags for taking kids. I think a more likely scenario is that dad and Junior put in for decent tags, but mom, grandma, and grandpa put in for the premium units. That just decreased the odds in the premium unit, yet dad and Junior still get to go hunting.

If junior has a tag every year then obviously it has helped retention. If junior's parents/grandparents don't take him hunting then they aren't changing the draw odds.

"I think a more likely scenario is that dad and Junior put in for decent tags, but mom, grandma, and grandpa put in for the premium units. That just decreased the odds in the premium unit, yet dad and Junior still get to go hunting."

I have no problem with that because in most cases the change in the odds will be minimal except in trophy species hunts like I stated above. I think a bigger problem occurs when junior draws his easy to get tag and mom and grandma both draw the premium tags.

You think its a better idea than I do and definitely have more skin in the game that I do, as I'm a NR. Neither of us are going to change the other's opinion. I just don't see the need for anything like this.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back