PEAX Equipment

Heads up Idaho hunters

6speed

Here are some of the new proposals that are working through the state house.

S1282 New text
Establish, pursuant to rule, a program to provide special incentive tags to hunt antelope, elk or deer, in designated units, to private landowners that allow hunters reasonable access, as negotiated with the department of fish and game, to their property or through their property to public lands for hunting purposes. Provided they hold a valid hunting license issued by the state of Idaho, any landowner issued such a special incentive tag may use the special incentive tag himself or herself or may sell the special incentive tag to another person who holds a valid hunting license issued by the state of Idaho at any price upon which the parties mutually agree.

S1283 New text
Any landowner issued a landowner appreciation program controlled hunt tag may sell the tag to another person at any price upon which the parties mutually agree.

HO457 No person shall:
(B) Transfer any fishing, hunting, or trapping license to any other person or for any person to make use of such license issued to any other person
New Text
with the exception of a parent or grandparent designating any controlled hunt tag or controlled hunt permit to a minor child or grandchild as prescribed by rules of the commission. A controlled hunt tag or controlled hunt permit can be designated only to a minor child with a valid hunting license or one who is participating in a mentored hunting program as prescribed by rules of the commission. A controlled hunt tag or controlled hunt permit designated to a minor child cannot be sold.

HO458 The law would make an amendment to include a wolf tag in the sportsman's package and raise the package price by $6.15

HO459 The law would amend the current Non Resident hunting license to include a 3 day fishing license at no extra cost to the purchaser.

Yet another tag grab. Is SFW involved in this one as well?

Here's the Idaho Wildlife Federation's alert:

Dear Idaho Wildlife Advocates~

Idaho Wildlife Federation's (IWF) legislative committee is at work again during the 2012 session and needs your help on wildlife conservation issues. During the session we will send you legislative alerts to keep you informed on the issues. The alerts will include a brief overview and the best way to contact various public officials.

HIGH ALERT: Currently there is a private bill that if passed can auction off up to twelve wildlife tags at trophy conventions rather than for use in the usual license sale of the state's non-residence tags. Last year IWF, and other dedicated individuals help defeat the predecessor of this auction tag from moving forward. This year IWF and other sporting conservation groups testified January 25 against the auction tag at the Fish and game Commission Meeting.

SOS:

We just learned the hearing for the private auction tag is Monday February 6, 2012 at 1:30 PM, Senate Resource Committee.

TAKE ACTION: Right now over the next two days work with us and reach out to across the state legislative officials:

1. Senate Resource and Environment Committee Members

2. Your district legislators.

TIME LINE: Starting immediately through the next two days please contact all the committee members for the Senate Resource and Environment Committee by Email. The auction bill is scheduled for a hearing on Monday 1:30 PM. Committee members will take a vote on whether to support the bill and reaching each member is critical! This is the best chance for the bill to die in committee. If you can take a step further contact your local legislators as they will carry the message back to the statehouse floor. If you feel impassioned on this issue and would like to testify before the committee Monday please contact and schedule: [email protected]

Please reach out and let them know you oppose the auction of wildlife to highest bidder. We are trying to generate an outpouring of comments from the people of Idaho. The more our officials hear from the people the more likely they will consider the ramifications of this issue. Listed below is the contact information for the Senate Resource Committee Members and the pertinent status of the private auction bill.

Critical Contact Period over the next two days February 3-February 5, 2012
Senate Resource and Environment Committee Members:
Chairman - Senator Monty Pierce (opposed 2011) [email protected]
Vice Chair- Senator Steve Bair :[email protected]
Senator - Dean Cameron: [email protected]
Senator- Jeff Siddoway:[email protected]
Senator -Lee Heider (opposed 2011) [email protected]
Senator- John Tippets (opposed 2011) [email protected]
Senator Elliot Werk (opposed 2011) [email protected]
Senator Michelle Stennett (opposed 2011) [email protected]
For more information about the 2012 Legislative Status and to read Bill S1256 visit our web site or simply click here
Sincerely,

The Idaho Wildlife Federation

I sent my email about the Governor's tags. Not even a, thanks for your concern, reply. About what I expected from my local senator. I'll type up another letter about some of my concerns with some of these new issues as well. I figure at least I did something.

It's like there's a coordinated effort in some states to steal the public's bounty, and give it to a few.

I wonder where that's coming from.

Yes, and as a matter of fact I just received a call from my State Senator Elliot Werk (District 17) and talked to him for 15 minutes. He even remembered where we live and what we have discussed in the past. Unfortunately I was in the middle of working on a project with our Toronto office and didn't/couldn't understand possible constitutional admendments if we attempt to shut high-rollers out from *buying* our game.

Wow you have definitely got a better response than I have. I'm afraid I live in the "you wouldn't vote for me anyway" part of district 25. I would be surprised to get so much as a simple acknowledgement that my email was received by my local senator.

Don't be surprised if one or more of the senators on that list is helping push some of this legislation. I can think of one that would end up with a couple really good tags he would be able to sell off. IDFG cleaned up a bunch of the landowner tag language last year, but seems as though someone got upset and wants the system to be even worse than it previously was.

Hopefully not the LT Gov?

Don't be surprised if one or more of the senators on that list is helping push some of this legislation. I can think of one that would end up with a couple really good tags he would be able to sell off. IDFG cleaned up a bunch of the landowner tag language last year, but seems as though someone got upset and wants the system to be even worse than it previously was.

I haven't been able to find out who is sponsoring these things but it would be interesting to find out. I may send them a note that is less eloquent than the one I sent the committee.

Hopefully not the LT Gov?

Not that I know of, but one of those senators (and his kid) pick up some pretty good tags year after year in east idaho. I'd say it might be a conflict of interest, but this is Idaho politics.

Looks like Siddoway will be presenting 1283 to the committee tomorrow. The email addresses are above folks, make an effort or don't complain.

Looks like Siddoway will be presenting 1283 to the committee tomorrow. The email addresses are above folks, make an effort or don't complain.

And he would stand to really benefit from this bill of his own doing :eek:

If you have a friendly legislator on this committee, I would ask them to talk about conflicts of interest.

Find the Dem on the committee and call them, or send them an email.

ALso, don't feel like you can only contact your senator. Get everyone writing the whole committee and hammer them.

A bit more info about this bill. If you don't know Siddoway look up Juniper Mountain Ranch. Siddoway is the owner. The website boasts over 11,000 high fenced acres for hunting elk and bison.

Find the Dem on the committee and call them, or send them an email.

ALso, don't feel like you can only contact your senator. Get everyone writing the whole committee and hammer them.

I have sent emails to all of them. The Dem on the committee happens to be from my district. That could be part of the reason I don't expect a response. I live in the red county of a blue district.

Back