Headed East

To be clear, MI is a legal state for the wacky tabaccy as well. And I like the cut of Whitmer's jib.

Was in the same boat as you. Moved from Montana last summer to MIchigan after 12 Great years in MT. Moved to wife's family farm that has been in family for 150+ yrs. Still miss MT lots, but getting used to MI. Plenty of deer . It is great state for hunting & fishing if you can get used to warm water fish. I have, but there is trout/ salmon fishing near where you will move.
Was lucky enough to get buck & turkey last fall on " back 40' .

Here is a site on Facebook to look at if you do Facebook thing. Good luck with the move.

Was in the same boat as you. Moved from Montana last summer to MIchigan after 12 Great years in MT. Moved to wife's family farm that has been in family for 150+ yrs. Still miss MT lots, but getting used to MI. Plenty of deer . It is great state for hunting & fishing if you can get used to warm water fish. I have, but there is trout/ salmon fishing near where you will move.
Was lucky enough to get buck & turkey last fall on " back 40' .

Here is a site on Facebook to look at if you do Facebook thing. Good luck with the move.

I've been known to drag a frog across the bottom of a lake to catch smallies, and I'm up for going after big bronzebacks on the big lake as well. So many opportunities, I just hope the wife doesn't balk when I show up with a boat & all new fishing gear. ;)

The steelhead & salmon fishing are also on the menu for sure.

Good riddance!

But seriously, I love Cedar; great place to live! Let me know if you need help figuring out the walleye on S. Lake Leelanau or anywhere else. You'll definitely need a boat. I grew up in the area and worked at a campground on the lake during summers in college. Always heard there were big deer in the sleeping bear dunes but I never hunted it. If you can get on private anywhere around that area you'll be in the deer thick. Check with some of the local cherry farmers. They get a lot of game damage doe tags and would probably be more than willing to give you a few.

Eastern UP deer can be tough; where I grew up hunting them the estimated density was 1-2 deer per square mile.

Good riddance!

But seriously, I love Cedar; great place to live! Let me know if you need help figuring out the walleye on S. Lake Leelanau or anywhere else. You'll definitely need a boat. I grew up in the area and worked at a campground on the lake during summers in college. Always heard there were big deer in the sleeping bear dunes but I never hunted it. If you can get on private anywhere around that area you'll be in the deer thick. Check with some of the local cherry farmers. They get a lot of game damage doe tags and would probably be more than willing to give you a few.

Eastern UP deer can be tough; where I grew up hunting them the estimated density was 1-2 deer per square mile.

I've been reading up on those damage tags. The farmer across the road stopped by to introduce himself to my FIL who has been helping remodel before we get there. I plan on making his aquaintance & hope to get an invite soon. But I'll have two tags in my pocket as well. Michigan residency.laws are...generous.

I expect you'll live well there, best of luck!

Let me know if this happens. I bring local brews...

I hunted grouse a few years ago in the UP. Very different than what I was expecting. Next time I will be sure that woodcock season is open. And it's frosted at least once. Skeeters weren't fun.
I often say (only mostly joking) that the U.P. mosquitos got me and my wife together. We were camped on the banks of the Fox river, caravaning across the country together, when those skeeters came out. Man, there wasn't anything we could have done but dive into a tent and stay there... Glad we did!

Best wishes on your new endeavor, Ben. You've done a ton of great work for wild places and wild things. For that we all thank you. I hope you find a way to continue that work in some way.

Best wishes on your new endeavor, Ben. You've done a ton of great work for wild places and wild things. For that we all thank you. I hope you find a way to continue that work in some way.

It takes a lot of hands to make light work. It's been an absolute pleasure working with you on some of those projects, Randy. I'm going to miss those folks as much as a sunrise shining off of Ear Mtn, or song dogs singing on the prairie.

Let me know if this happens. I bring local brews...

I hunted grouse a few years ago in the UP. Very different than what I was expecting. Next time I will be sure that woodcock season is open. And it's frosted at least once. Skeeters weren't fun.

I can see a Hunt Talk Grouse Camp in the UP happening next year. @VikingsGuy and I have been trying to put a hunt together as well, even though he shoots those semi-autos for upland.

Michigan deer hunting is very different from out West. The forests are dense, and so are the hunters in many places. I would think that if you were wandering state land and came across some other hunters up in stands that they wouldn't be too pleased. You will also find that many Michigan hunters are not very much into QDM and will shoot a lot of smaller bucks as opposed to letting them grow. I have lived here for a large part of my life and quit deer hunting here because too many times I watched young bucks wander past me only to be shot by another hunter a couple hundred yards away. If you can get access to private land that would be ideal, or going really deep into the public land areas where others aren't as motivated to get to. With that said, there are a lot of deer here so I wish you the best. Also note that most shots here are under 100 yards because of being in the woods and not being able to see very far so your idea of a long shot and a Michigander's is going to be different.
It is a beautiful state with many outdoor opportunities and you are in one of the nicest areas of the state so enjoy and welcome!

Good luck Ben. Looks like a cool place. You picked a good time to leave. Gonna be a chit show up on the hill.

Back