Headed East

Ben Lamb

My wife, bless her heart, has lived in the west with my for the last 13.5 years. Before that, she spent a decade abroad studying for her MFA & undergrad. She's not lived "home" for 23 years and it was galling her last year. She asked if we could consider moving to Michigan to be closer to family. We've spent the last 8 years building a business, and a life in Montana, doing some good work for wildlife and conservation. But like all things, I've been feeling the pull to try something different than lobbying and working on contentious issues constantly. I agreed in December of 2019, then COVID-19 hit, and we shelved our plans until it was safe to go.

Then, when she was planning to go visit home for her grandmother's 90th birthday in May, the event was cancelled due to COVID. It put things in faster motion for us, as we were slated to spend a month (August) out in Michigan visiting. During that trip, her grandmother had to be hospitalized with stress fractures in two vertebrae, then hospitalized again from pneumonia contracted from the first stay, making the move more urgent. We ended up buying a house with 5 acres in a pretty rural area. We do have deer on it, and turkey as well. After doing some research it seems like the grouse hunting around there isn't half bad either. While it's not the west, it's not a terrible trade, really. Happy wife, reduced stress, and a chance to try something different.

And that's why this post is in the deer section. I know some Michiganders hunt stands & blinds and that's the most commonly accepted method, but is it possible to still hunt, to spot & stalk, or am I destined to wear puffy clothing & sit in a tree?

The dogs picked up ruffed grouse flushing pretty easily, so I think that will be a fun adventure. It's really the deer that are starting to puzzle me. I'm certainly not opposed to shooting a deer from the bathroom window, or out the master bedroom deck, but I'm interested in hearing how you big woods guys hunt Michigan deer effectively.

Any tips, reading materials, etc? I'll have a month of muzzleloader & late antlerless along with December grouse to keep me occupied, and I'd like to try and make the most of it.

gonna be hard to do all that on 5 acres...

gonna be even harder to find someone as plugged into conservation in the west.
I'm not thinking of still hunting on 5 acres. That seems more like 'if the opportunity presents itself." I've got some good chunks of state land close by that I can see walking through, though, closeby NF's, plus a bunch of public land w/Sleeping Bear Dunes.

Lots of folks out there better versed than I am, and I'm not entirely giving up the work, just not lobbying anymore. There's a new crop of lobbyists who are extremely capable in MT to take us farther than I can.

I was being a bit sarcastic, I just don't see how people leave mountains. They just have a gravity that once you're hooked, I find hard to escape.

The best of luck to you. OnX doesn't make it took too terrible depending on where in the state you are.

It can be done any way you want there to Alpena wherever there is hard woods. Quality of the deer up there is terrible compared to southern MI. 95% of folks tree stand or blind hunt. It’s more traditional than it is To be effective. You need to head north of the bridge for good grouse. Up around Pickford is good.

I was being a bit sarcastic, I just don't see how people leave mountains. They just have a gravity that once you're hooked, I find hard to escape.

The best of luck to you. OnX doesn't make it took too terrible depending on where in the state you are.

We all make compromises in life, and the mrs. has given a lot. It's just my turn. :) The mountains will still be here, and I'll be visiting.

It can be done any way you want there to Alpena wherever there is hard woods. Quality of the deer up there is terrible compared to southern MI. 95% of folks tree stand or blind hunt. It’s more traditional than it is To be effective. You need to head north of the bridge for good grouse. Up around Pickford is good.
I've been researching the UP quite a bit. We're going to be spending a fair amount of time up there for just that purpose.

The DNR has done some pretty good grouse management up there. Look from the Highway East to the water. Any of those gravel side roads with state land is a good place to start.

I’m about 5 hours from there if you want to come down and chase bigger deer.

We'll have to try and make a plan, thank you!

I've been checking out the gems sites. There's one fairly close to our place (about 35 minutes) that would be fun to run around in.

We'll have to try and make a plan, thank you!

I've been checking out the gems sites. There's one fairly close to our place (about 35 minutes) that would be fun to run around in.
Not all Gems are created equal. They had different loggers do the slash. Some is more conducive to bird hunting some is conducive to breaking a ankle. I wouldn’t overlook any of them for deer. Especially the southern central one. Been there a few times and saw deer every time. Never did turn up a bird though.

Also deer around Gaylord really real the benefits from all the clearing and food tracks set up for the elk herd. 5 acres of winter wheat/ oats planted in the middle of a hardwood forest.

While we’ve never met, I’m sure familiar with all the good work you’ve done for wildlife in Montana and Wyoming. Good luck with the move, and I’ll pour out some Cold Smoke for you.

Also deer around Gaylord really real the benefits from all the clearing and food tracks set up for the elk herd. 5 acres of winter wheat/ oats planted in the middle of a hardwood forest.

I've also been scolded for not pronouncing Gaylord correctly. Apparently really emphasizing it in two syllables makes me rude. ;)

my father-in-law does a lot of blind hunting in quiet areas/state forests and is fairly successful. No super big bucks but certainly some respectable animals.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winchester 73
Back