Headed East

Walked a couple mines in those shoes Lamb, they break in pretty well. Don’t regret the decision one bit.

Spent 2 years in Muskegon growing up, amazing summers and falls. Loved going to sleeping bear.

We’ve been kicking around the idea of Ann Arbor.

Walked a couple mines in those shoes Lamb, they break in pretty well. Don’t regret the decision one bit.

Spent 2 years in Muskegon growing up, amazing summers and falls. Loved going to sleeping bear.

We’ve been kicking around the idea of Ann Arbor.

We're 15 minutes from Sleeping Bear, 5 minutes from Lake Leelanau & 20 minutes from downtown Traverse City. Not a bad spot to land, really. We'll get solar panels installed in the spring & be off-grid and producing copious amounts of vegetables by summer.

1604534916759.png

Man I feel your pain, literally. Just spent four hours in a tree and saw nothing again. I'm in Massachusetts, which is way worse. I'm on my way to Montana in less than a year. I was just thinking today, I can't wait until I do not have to climb 20 feet or so in a tree, freeze my ass off, only to see nothing except an idiot with his dog on conservation land that does not allow dogs and hear nothing but leaf blowers in the distance. Good times, goooooood times. Not.

Up until the recent year I sat next to a Michigander who moved to Helena. He waxed poetic about it often, and really sold me on it as a great state with a lot of cool outdoor opportunities. I think it is an awesome adventure you are on.

We will certainly miss you around here, and you have given a lot of yourself to Montana and it is a better place for it. Thank you.

I look forward to some hunting pictures!

Up until the recent year I sat next to a Michigander who moved to Helena. He waxed poetic about it often, and really sold me on it as a great state with a lot of cool outdoor opportunities. I think it is an awesome adventure you are on.

We will certainly miss you around here, and you have given a lot of yourself to Montana and it is a better place for it. Thank you.

I look forward to some hunting pictures!
If I'm going to be living outside of the Rockies, Michigan is about as good as you can get. I'm blessed with a father-in-law who hunts & fishes and is eager to have a son-in-law around to help defend him against his daughters. ;)

Thanks Harley, you know you're welcome to bring that snooty Citori up any time. You too @JLS.

There are areas in the U.P. (and maybe the lower part too), where hunters practice the same kind of big woods hunting that northern New England and the Adirondacks are known for (tracking and large-scale still hunting). You could check out books by Hal Blood, or the Benoits (via Bryce Towsley). It's a fun way to hunt!

There are areas in the U.P. (and maybe the lower part too), where hunters practice the same kind of big woods hunting that northern New England and the Adirondacks are known for (tracking and large-scale still hunting). You could check out books by Hal Blood, or the Benoits (via Bryce Towsley). It's a fun way to hunt!
Very cool. I'll check those out!

I’m sure you’re aware but here in the U.P. we have the Hiawatha National forest and the Ottawa National forest; roughly 2 million acres, with a handful of designated wilderness areas in each. Although nothing even remotely compared to Montana, the West end does have mountains 😀
You’re correct that the main way to deer hunt is by sitting in a blind or tree stand but several methods can work. I’m not sure spot and stalk would be effective, at least in the areas I hunt, due to the dense forest, but theres a few who still hunt, a few who look forward to snow for following tracks.
I’m not much of a blind hunter myself. I tend to wander and sit next to tree in various spots through rifle season.
Bow hunting tends to produce less hunting pressure.

Back