PEAX Equipment

HB 26, lighted knocks

It all boils down to opinions on the possibility of what may or may not happen down the road. Every one's line in the sand is different. I support the MBA stance and, as an MBA member, I'd rather see the MBA board using their limited time fighting for better things than issues like this each legislative session.

Thanks for the, uh, illuminating discussion. My main takeaways are that a) FWP, not the legislature should be making these rules; b) if you allow lighted nocks to help locate downed game, it is a slippery slope to allowing more meaningful locating methods such as electronic transmitters; c) the lights in the photo of the lighted knockers are too close and pointed the wrong way.

You guys in Montana truly are blessed to live in a state that has so few problems,that you have the time and energy to devote to fighting what to me and i suspect others is a non-issue.In a time when other states are grappling with huge funding shortfalls and all the other large ''Issues of the day''it must be nice to live in a place where these problems have been addressed,thus freeing up the Legislature to deal with issues like lighted nocks session after session.

Southwind, I respect that the riskier shot "never crossed" your mind, but the concern still exists.
The "lighted nock" and the crossbow during archery season debates have consistently emerged during the past few legislative sessions in Montana. The regulations are now pretty clear and have been established with much debate and consideration. We could debate forever about whether or not lighted nocks as an exception to the "no electronics" rule will lead to more exceptions and then a serious dilution of the challenge of archery hunting, which justifies a long separate hunting season in Montana.
But here in Montana it boils down to what may be perceived as merely a "want or desire" rather than a requirement to resolve an existing problem in archery hunting. The Montana Bowhunters Association membership seems divided on the issue, but overall is opposed to introducing lighted nocks to the archery season. Past debates in legislative committees have also resulted in the same conclusion.

A separate, but equally important, issue has to do with special interests pursuading a legislator to sponsor a bill on behalf of a minority of citizens and pushing it through an already jam-packed session.

Another concern is with forwarding hunting-related bills and passing state laws that really should be regulatory provisions vetted and decided upon by Fish, Wildlife, and Park agency professionals and the Commission that oversees those processes and decisions.

So, as you can see, these kind of issues that get elevated to the state legislative level become complex and, in my opinion, degrade the lawmakers' ability to address the really important hunting and wildlife related problems faced by this state. (ie: brucellosis mitigation, wild bison hunting & programs, wildlife habitat acquisition & enhancement, landowner concerns, access issues, funding, etc.)

I see and respect your points. There do seem to be a lot bigger issues many of which we face here as well. I don't have a problem with the MBA saying they don't want lighted nocks although I feel they are benign I certainly understand it is part of the overall equation. I think the slippery slope comes in picking your battles and if you can't qualify your position cleanly on this matter then how does that effect MBA's credibility on future issues.

The crossbow manufactuers (not hunter citizens) are pushing hard here in Kansas and I suspect this special interest group will be successful although I don't prefer it to be. I have found whenever our legislature gets involved in wildlife management issues it is normally because of money and special interest and not sound management.

Anyway, best wishes

You guys in Montana truly are blessed to live in a state that has so few problems,that you have the time and energy to devote to fighting what to me and i suspect others is a non-issue.In a time when other states are grappling with huge funding shortfalls and all the other large ''Issues of the day''it must be nice to live in a place where these problems have been addressed,thus freeing up the Legislature to deal with issues like lighted nocks session after session.

+1.

It's just a matter of time until the laws are going to change. 30 years ago you would have never thought things like lighted knocks and crossbows would be leagal but it's obvious that more and more states are changing thier laws to allow these items.

Same could be said of muzzleloaders and inlines with scopes and power belts/sabots, 209 primers, etc... 30 years ago it seemed impossible that laws would change but obvioulsly in many places they have and they aren't going back.

As equipment changes laws will change. Some states will change more quickly than others but I would still be willing to bet that in 10 years lighted knocks will be leagal in Montana.

+2

But, I would wager that the vast majority of Montanans feel similarly. With over 130 wildlife related bills, and the likelihood that 80% will die, I think everyone believes we're wasting a lot of time and money on issues that should be resolved at the commission level, or not introduced to begin with.

However, since folks have felt the need to introduce those bills, others feel the need to defend their position. Bills like HB 33 which sound innocuous (kill predators that eat livestock) could set back grizzly bear delisting and would steal hunter opportunity by eliminating lions and black bears.

So while it is crazy and ridiculous, it's the reality that we're faced with.

BTW - $450 million surplus in MT.

but, you have the time and money to waste. even if montanas decided to give chicago, I mean illinois, that excess, we would still be in the hole here. that surplus wouldn't come close to fixing the shortfall on the pension system here. be grateful you have the time and money.

We need a sweeping law change if we ever want to reduce the effectiveness of archery equipment. Lighted knocks don't change $hit and anyone that thinks they do needs a reality check.

Whoever said they might encourage longer shots is mental. There's dipwhits all over MT every September trying to snipe elk at 80 yards.

The time and money wasted on stuff like this takes away from the bigger issues we're facing. Our pension system is broken, We spent so much time in 2011 debating stupid bills that we couldn't pass a bonding bill that would have put thousands back to work.

If the vast majority had their way, there'd be about 10 bills introduced on wildlife issues each session.

The time and money wasted on stuff like this takes away from the bigger issues we're facing. Our pension system is broken, We spent so much time in 2011 debating stupid bills that we couldn't pass a bonding bill that would have put thousands back to work.

If the vast majority had their way, there'd be about 10 bills introduced on wildlife issues each session.

It's all about priorities Ben! Schweitzer sure made that surplus sound good, have they ever decided to fund schools like they are supposed to, or pay teachers competitively?

School funding and teachers salaries are set by the Legislature. Schweitzer pushed for increases in salaries only to get shot down by the Leg.

School funding and teachers salaries are set by the Legislature. Schweitzer pushed for increases in salaries only to get shot down by the Leg.

I think it's sad that it took a lawsuit to get better funding for the schools. I also think it's sad what MT pays its teachers.

Sorry to thread jack.:eek:

I think it's sad that it took a lawsuit to get better funding for the schools. I also think it's sad what MT pays its teachers.

Sorry to thread jack.:eek:

Everybody makes less money in MT. That's the trade off for not living in a commie shit hole like WA.

Let's also lower the FPS allowed on compound bows, way too powerful and gives hunters an unfair advantage. Also, if lighted nocks encourage unethical shots, then let's also limit rifle scopes magnification capabilities as well as light-gathering technology on hunting rifles so that no one takes an "unethical" shot! Jeez! People have become so polarized on the stupidest CRAP! It's not just congress!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back