HB 26, lighted knocks

BH, wasn't talking about P&Y with that post. don't enter critters into any of the recording deals. was talking about the montana thing.

Rules are changed and modified as the Club grows.....just like any club or organization I suppose. However, in terms of electronics attached to the bow or arrow, I don't see that changing ever within P&Y.
The rule (or statutes for some states) is no electronic equipment attached to the bow OR arrow.
so are the rule of P&Y governed by its members or the few that run the organization? just curious

Mudranger, this let off issue was fought for years by the leadership,when the heat got turned up enough by the membership it was put before all members for a vote.There was quite the gnashing of teeth over it, lots of longtime members,and if memory serves some leadership left over it.

forgot to attach the photographic proof that lighted knockers pose a serious threat to society as we know it. 'Nuff said.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 139
Lighted nocks? GPS broad heads? Bow mounted rangefinders? Allow them all. Why not? Honestly, if we truly believed in bow hunting without technological advantages, we all would be carrying long bows. 85% let off, 70lb draw, 330fps…come on, don’t kid yourself.

Lighted nocks? GPS broad heads? Bow mounted rangefinders? Allow them all. Why not? Honestly, if we truly believed in bow hunting without technological advantages, we all would be carrying long bows. 85% let off, 70lb draw, 330fps…come on, don’t kid yourself.

Exactly. Lighted knocks are a drop in the bucket compared to modern compound bows.

What a joke.

well if I can get a gps broad head maybe I don't need lighted nocks after all :D

+1

And please add CROSSBOWS to that list.

I'm not quite sure how you can compare an arrow with a bullet on the end to one with a lighted nock ...just keep drinkin the good stuff my friend

They only help AFTER the arrow has been released. There is no advantage in the taking of game but only in the recovery. I don't understand the slippery slope.

Southwind, go back and consider MBA's official position then read post #24 by Khunter. You may not agree with the "slippery slope" concern, but at least you should understand it.

There are those who have expressed concern about the improved advantage in visually tracking the arrow's flight after release thus perhaps resulting in motivation to take longer, more risky shots. Again, whether or not you agree with the concern ... it still exists and it is not for you or I to day it is invalid.

Southwind, go back and consider MBA's official position then read post #24 by Khunter. You may not agree with the "slippery slope" concern, but at least you should understand it.

There are those who have expressed concern about the improved advantage in visually tracking the arrow's flight after release thus perhaps resulting in motivation to take longer, more risky shots. Again, whether or not you agree with the concern ... it still exists and it is not for you or I to day it is invalid.

I'm sure there are plenty of field and controlled studies that back up that assertion of hunter intent in that situation right? I've shot lighted nock's in Kansas since their inception and can tell you that thought never crossed my mind. I don't see a correlation between to the two. I understand the "slope" but it seems a fabrication of a problem that doesn't exist by someone trying to find fault.

Southwind, I respect that the riskier shot "never crossed" your mind, but the concern still exists.
The "lighted nock" and the crossbow during archery season debates have consistently emerged during the past few legislative sessions in Montana. The regulations are now pretty clear and have been established with much debate and consideration. We could debate forever about whether or not lighted nocks as an exception to the "no electronics" rule will lead to more exceptions and then a serious dilution of the challenge of archery hunting, which justifies a long separate hunting season in Montana.
But here in Montana it boils down to what may be perceived as merely a "want or desire" rather than a requirement to resolve an existing problem in archery hunting. The Montana Bowhunters Association membership seems divided on the issue, but overall is opposed to introducing lighted nocks to the archery season. Past debates in legislative committees have also resulted in the same conclusion.

A separate, but equally important, issue has to do with special interests pursuading a legislator to sponsor a bill on behalf of a minority of citizens and pushing it through an already jam-packed session.

Another concern is with forwarding hunting-related bills and passing state laws that really should be regulatory provisions vetted and decided upon by Fish, Wildlife, and Park agency professionals and the Commission that oversees those processes and decisions.

So, as you can see, these kind of issues that get elevated to the state legislative level become complex and, in my opinion, degrade the lawmakers' ability to address the really important hunting and wildlife related problems faced by this state. (ie: brucellosis mitigation, wild bison hunting & programs, wildlife habitat acquisition & enhancement, landowner concerns, access issues, funding, etc.)

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back