Had to Say Good bye

Wouldn't give a damn dollar for a man that can't let a good dog work his way into his life. Your sorrow speaks well of you and the dog.

HD

Tears---what a beautiful dog and what a beautiful way to send your sweet friend on to his next journey by taking him for one last swim. Heart is with you and your fam.

Sorry Nemont. I'll be faced with making that call too, soon on my old girl.
As tough a decision as a guy can make.

Man, I feel for you. When we had to put our last lab down, it was terribly hard. God bless you in making the right, albeit hard decision.

Really sorry for your loss. It is terribly hard to say goodbye and I dread the day we are faced with the same situation with our 5 year old lab. Buying a new puppy in due time always seems to help add a new smile.

Sorry for your loss! Great that you got him one last swim! Hope you continue to remember those awesome flushes/retrieves he made for you.

Hey Nemont ,Iv been there as well with my lab a few years ago and it sounds very similar. Rest assured ,time will dull the pain but the memories will always burn bright.....:cool:

That is a heartbreaker no matter what. Hope you and the family remember all the great times with your best friend. My springer just layed down on the cool tile and I petted her and she passed so I know the feeling.

Dude....I hear you. I put by best friend down during the elk hunt last year. Doing that...saying goodbye was heartbreaking. I cried like a little kid. The only thing hard than that was saying goodbye to my Dad 9yrs ago.

I have one other dog and he's is a great dog but not like Ben. I can tell that it does get better but you'll miss them dearly.

Bill

Here's a good quote from Baxter Black about the loss of a pup. It's never easy

Just A Dog

You were just a dog. But a good dog. Right from the start. Your loyalty was never in question. And what you didn't know, you didn't know because I never took the time to teach you.

When you were young I was harder on you. I expected you to understand the basics...and you learned them. A "bad dog" was like a whip on your back.

But when uncontrollable instinct got you in trouble, I didn't hold it against you. I doctored you up, changed your bed and remembered that reason gets left behind in the heat of passion. Be it skunks, gyps or cloven hooves.

You were patient with the young, pups or kids. They pulled your hair, barked around you in circles and rode on your back. I never had to worry. They were safe with you.

You suffered the indignities of veterinary examinations, injections, probings and overnight incarcerations, refusing always to lift you leg under anyone's roof.

You posed for pictures, rode on loads like an acrobat and endured spring clippings yet never lost your dignity.

A fierce guardian of your territory, you did your best to protect us. I knew better than to shout you down at two in the morning. I always figured you were barking for a purpose.

Old age was not unkind to you. Despite the hearing loss, cataracts and stiff joints, you carried on. Sure, I had to help you in the pickup, but you were part of the crew. I noticed you ate less, slept later and turned gray but you never lost your enthusiasm for being part of our outfit.

People debate if dogs have a heaven. I'm not sure that matters. What is heaven to a dog? Enough to eat, something to chase, shade in the summer, someone to scratch your ears and pay you a little attention now and then.

All I know is you added to our life. Companion, listener, guardian and connection to a part of nature we tend to overlook because we're too busy worrying about the minutiae of life.

You reminded us to appreciate a sunny day, a bone to chew and a kind word. You'll be missed around here.

You were just a dog. But you'll be in my heaven. Rest in peace, old friend.
by Baxter Black

Sorry to hear this Jeff. That dog had a great life. I am sure the last swim was tough last night, but glad you had one last trip with your four-legged kid.

I went through the same thing a month ago with our old yellow lab, Leeo. Holding and comforting him as he got the shot was hell. Still haunts me.

Very sorry to hear about your loss. Those memories will be burned in your family's heart forever forever. Nothing better than a good gun dog except one that can also be a better family dog. My black Labs time is coming soon and I'm dreading the day.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back