Caribou Gear

Guide or resident needed for non resident to hunt in Wyoming.

Question was for you as Co-Chair for BHA as a whole. Figured there were certain standards involved in the support or opposition on issues that hit below the belt for Backcountry hunter interest.
I understand it's good for the Residents. No worries. I understand certain aspects are targeted because the likely-hood of changing the tide in favor of conservation, hunters, and anglers holds a reasonable % - thus worth the $ and time. I'm a bit disappointed the Resident interest to keep our public land to themselves and their friends within WY BHA for something I would hope MT BHA would oppose.

Win some lose some. Until the next time to grind this axe.
I can't speak to what another chapter would do in their state.

Since the wilderness guide law passed in Wyoming a couple/few decades before BHA even existed, it's a whole different deal to change.

Stopping a piece of bad legislation from becoming law is a way different deal than repealing an existing law.

IMO/E I don't think most NR hunters would be too keen to give up what it would take to repeal.

It could probably be done for a loss of 75% of the available NR tags. Residents would want 90% of DEA tags, outfitters would want 5%. That kind of deal could get enough traction to repeal the law.

Anything less is a waste of time even trying.

I agree it's a shitty law, but it's entrenched. It would take a high price to reverse it.

I had to look up CHATGPT... wtf? Really? Haha!
There is specific language that fits your, "CHATGPT" dialogue regarding the reasoning Non Residents are not permitted to hunt U.S. (Our public lands) Wilderness Designated land without a WY Resident or a WYOGA guide due to "safety", etc. Much of the content you presented matches the bull shit served to Americans.

As said it is what it is.. You scout the exact same ground you hunt without the safety of a Wyoming Resident or WYOGA guide and that is fine though holy bat chit... hunting... Safety is of utmost concern.

The irony of chit and turds.
I think the only people/organizations who actually believe and use the reasoning of "safety" for nonresidents needing a guide to hunt wilderness are nonresidents themselves. I doubt WYOGA and WGFD even use that argument.

I think the only people/organizations who actually believe and use the reasoning of "safety" for nonresidents needing a guide to hunt wilderness are nonresidents themselves. I doubt WYOGA and WGFD even use that argument.
23-2-401. Guides required; exceptions; issuance of resident guide license.

(a) No nonresident shall hunt big or trophy game animals on any designated wilderness area, as defined by federal or state law, in this state unless accompanied by a licensed professional guide or a resident guide. There shall be at least one (1) licensed professional guide or resident guide accompanying each two (2) nonresident hunters. The commission may also specify other areas of the state, or specific big or trophy game species, for which a licensed professional or resident guide is required for nonresidents, for purposes of proper game management, protection of hunter welfare and safety, or better enforcement of game and fish laws. The commission may allow licensed guides to accompany more than two (2) hunters but no more than six (6) hunters in specific areas.

At the same time:

Q. Is it true nonresidents cannot hunt in national forest wilderness areas without a guide?

A. Basically, that's right. Wyoming statute says nonresidents must have a licensed guide or resident companion to hunt big or trophy game in federally designated wilderness areas. The resident companion will need to get a free non-commercial guide license from a Game and Fish office. The law does not prohibit nonresidents from hiking, fishing or hunting game birds, small game, or coyotes in wilderness areas. Only nonresident big and trophy game hunters must have a licensed guide or resident companion.

Wyoming law is the one who actually believe and use the reasoning of "safety" for non residents...

The irony that a person may fish, hike, and HUNT game with the sole exclusion of "big and trophy game"...

Last edited:
A great review of the history and nonsense Wyoming's private/exclusive U.S. Wilderness Hunting is shared here:

Last edited:
A great review of the history and nonsense Wyoming's private/exclusive U.S. Wilderness Hunting is shared here:

I'd love to see other states apply similar restrictions on WY residents until they put pressure on their own state to remove the stupid regulations.

New rule in MT, Wyoming residents are only allowed to hunt within 2 miles of a road...

It makes 0 sense. You can backpack through the wilderness, but no hunting. It's public land right? It seems odd that they can even place such a ridiculous law...

I'd love to see other states apply similar restrictions on WY residents until they put pressure on their own state to remove the stupid regulations.

New rule in MT, Wyoming residents are only allowed to hunt within 2 miles of a road...

It makes 0 sense. You can backpack through the wilderness, but no hunting. It's public land right? It seems odd that they can even place such a ridiculous law...
Why would MFWP give a shit what the wilderness designation is for NR in wyoming?

Why would MFWP give a shit what the wilderness designation is for NR in wyoming?
It's probably not safe for WY residents to hunt wilderness in any other state. They might get hurt since they might be inexperienced.

Same reasoning Wyoming has their law about the wilderness.

The entire thing cracks me up if you can’t figure a way around it or kill a elk elsewhere probably should even bother applying 🤷‍♂️
My brother has lived there a few years now I believe this was the third year he could "guide" me in the wilderness. We've killed 4 elk in those 3 years not one in wilderness! Although I do plan on taking full advantage of it when I cash in my deer points.

23-2-401. Guides required; exceptions; issuance of resident guide license.

(a) No nonresident shall hunt big or trophy game animals on any designated wilderness area, as defined by federal or state law, in this state unless accompanied by a licensed professional guide or a resident guide. There shall be at least one (1) licensed professional guide or resident guide accompanying each two (2) nonresident hunters. The commission may also specify other areas of the state, or specific big or trophy game species, for which a licensed professional or resident guide is required for nonresidents, for purposes of proper game management, protection of hunter welfare and safety, or better enforcement of game and fish laws. The commission may allow licensed guides to accompany more than two (2) hunters but no more than six (6) hunters in specific areas.

At the same time:

Q. Is it true nonresidents cannot hunt in national forest wilderness areas without a guide?

A. Basically, that's right. Wyoming statute says nonresidents must have a licensed guide or resident companion to hunt big or trophy game in federally designated wilderness areas. The resident companion will need to get a free non-commercial guide license from a Game and Fish office. The law does not prohibit nonresidents from hiking, fishing or hunting game birds, small game, or coyotes in wilderness areas. Only nonresident big and trophy game hunters must have a licensed guide or resident companion.

Wyoming law is the one who actually believe and use the reasoning of "safety" for non residents...

The irony that a person may fish, hike, and HUNT game with the sole exclusion of "big and trophy game"...
Huh, guess I was wrong. I really doubt anyone actually believes that though. Probably just a way for WYOGA to sell it.

It's probably not safe for WY residents to hunt wilderness in any other state. They might get hurt since they might be inexperienced.

Same reasoning Wyoming has their law about the wilderness.
Why would Montana care what how wyoming designates it's wilderness. If anything especially in Montana they'd likely follow Wyoming's lead at the leverage of Montana outfitters. Be careful what you wish for.

The entire thing cracks me up if you can’t figure a way around it or kill a elk elsewhere probably should even bother applying 🤷‍♂️
It's more about being able to access and utilize public land. Unless you don't care about that. I guess opening up 3 million acres of land by changing a stupid law is a pretty simple way to gain access as a non resident hunter.

It has nothing to do with being able to kill an elk on non wilderness land.

Why would Montana care what how wyoming designates it's wilderness. If anything especially in Montana they'd likely follow Wyoming's lead at the leverage of Montana outfitters. Be careful what you wish for.
That's exactly what it has to do with. You can access it anytime just not to kill an elk or deer.
I'm not wishing for anything, and I'm not saying they should care how they designate it.

Don't you appreciate giving access to hunters...? Tell me why they don't let NRs hunt the wilderness.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back