Yeti GOBOX Collection

Guide or resident needed for non resident to hunt in Wyoming.

Only in wilderness areas. Its just another way for WY to limit NR hunters who don't hire a guide. They keep you from hunting a lot of amazing areas with this one. You could go backpack there, but no hunting. 🥱

Bring on the haters.

BradA is correct. Wy search and rescue just doesn't want to go to the wilderness area at night to get you.

Only in wilderness areas. Its just another way for WY to limit NR hunters who don't hire a guide. They keep you from hunting a lot of amazing areas with this one. You could go backpack there, but no hunting. 🥱

Bring on the haters.
NRs that aren't a-holes get around that pretty easily I hear. I've signed off for some friends.

2005WyomingDeer4.jpg

Casebull.jpg

11853.jpeg

Oh, and that law is the work of WOGA as well. Just to clarify you can hunt bison, birds, turkeys, wolves if in the predator zone, and trap without a guide in wilderness areas here.

NRs that aren't a-holes get around that pretty easily I hear. I've signed off for some friends.

2005WyomingDeer4.jpg

Casebull.jpg

11853.jpeg

Oh, and that law is the work of WOGA as well. Just to clarify you can hunt bison, birds, turkeys, wolves if in the predator zone, and trap without a guide in wilderness areas here.
Signed off? Don't you have to accompany them?

2005WyomingDeer4.jpg

Casebull.jpg

11853.jpeg

Questions what does WOGA stand for just wondering

Ok, so your BLM (state game lands here) aren't considered "wilderness areas"?

Now I'm confused! :unsure:
It only applies to designated wildernesses (striped green in onx), likely not applicable to a DIY guy without horses. National forest (green onx), BLM is Bureau of Land Management (yellow onx) and state lands (blue onx). You can hunt all those colors and even some brown (bureau of rec) but cant hunt designated wilderness areas with a guide. Do not get confused with Wilderness Study Areas those are on BLM and are huntable without guide. I will add you cant hunt the purple sections they are national parks.

It only applies to designated wildernesses (striped green in onx), likely not applicable to a DIY guy without horses. National forest (green onx), BLM is Bureau of Land Management (yellow onx) and state lands (blue onx). You can hunt all those colors and even some brown (bureau of rec) but cant hunt designated wilderness areas with a guide. Do not get confused with Wilderness Study Areas those are on BLM and are huntable without guide. I will add you cant hunt the purple sections they are national parks.
Add Wyoming to my OnX app.
Got it!!

And thank You all!!!

So, if I can find a resident hunter with a big game tag who is willing to obtain the resident guide license and allow me to be one of his two guided hunters, I can hunt the wilderness without this person being present? We can exchange guide services which is not considered compensation? I am guessing they have to be present??

STATUTORY AUTHORITY:Wyoming Statute § 23-2-401 (b).Any resident possessing a valid resident big or trophy game animal license may apply for and receive a resident guide license. The resident guide license shall be issued without charge or bond by the commission, any district supervisor or resident game warden upon receipt of an affidavit from the resident stating the names and addresses of the nonresident hunters to be guided, the game to be hunted, the area to be hunted, and that the resident has not received nor will accept directly or indirectly any compensation for his services as a guide. A resident guide shall not guide more than two (2) nonresident hunters in any calendar year on any national forest, wilderness area, national game refuge, or national park, except as provided in W.S. 23-2-401, nor shall he accept any compensation or gratuity for his services. An exchange of guide services shall not be considered compensation for the purposes of this section. The name and license number of the nonresident hunter shall be placed on the back of the resident guide license and stamped or signed by the issuer.Big game animal is defined as: antelope, bighorn sheep, deer, elk, moose or mountain goat.Trophy game animal is defined as: black bear, grizzly bear or mountain lion AND gray wolves within any area of the state where gray wolves are classified as trophy game animals by commission regulation. Authority for License Issuance:Resident Guide licenses may be issued at Cheyenne Headquarters Office and all Department Regional Offices using the iPOS system. Resident Guide licenses may also be issued using manual license documents in the field by game wardens. There is no paper application for this product.For further information please call the Telephone Information Center at 307-777-4600

Bring on the haters.

While I think you are wrong on many posts, I agree with you here. There is no legitimate reason for that rule, law, whatever they call it.

So, if I can find a resident hunter with a big game tag who is willing to obtain the resident guide license and allow me to be one of his two guided hunters, I can hunt the wilderness without this person being present? We can exchange guide services which is not considered compensation? I am guessing they have to be present??

Yes, the resident has to be with you. I've done the resident license multiple times with friends, but i must be with them hunting. The whole point of it, is to be used with friends, has nothing to do with any sort of actual guiding

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back