Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Gubment shutdown hits Fresh Tracks

Randy, your integrity that chooses the hard right over the easy wrong is one of the many reasons that your shows are my favorite shows. I am one of those hunters that comes home without meat more often than not.

All my hunting has been self taught (probably why I'm not that good at it). My family was not hunters but I have always loved the outdoors and the thought of harvesting my own meat with my own hands and resources has always appealed to me. So when I had the means too, I began to do so. From Turkey, to Deer to Elk, to hogs, to coyotes, I have never been with an experienced hunter that could show me the ropes. So I turn to resources like the internet and shows like yours to get my information.

Most hunting programs make it look so easy to harvest monsters every time they go out. So when I first saw one of you're shows where an old pro like you came home empty handed………it made me feel better. It reminds me that the journey/effort is reward in itself. A bad day hunting is better than a good day at work…….unless it's a day that I'm blowing crap up or shooting bad guys in the face!

Even the fact that you give us all hope in winning cool gear (BADDASS drawing) by passing up what could be yours, to give it to people that support you, says a lot about the kind of man you are.

So I have no suggestions for how to fix this situation or what you should do. I do know that this forum is full of good people that will help out any way they can. I just want to let you know that I for one appreciate what you do and know that I'm gonna watch it, no matter what you choose. Keep on keeping on. I'm rooting for you……now go hunting for those of us who can't right now.

Bummer, sound like politics at its finest.

But as posted I love the integrity. Do it the right way or don't do it at all.

For what it is worth I have sent my Congressman John Fleming a E-mail outlining all this with contact info. I am sure it is the same as throwing a rock at the man in the moon, but.........John

Randy, when do you need to have all of your shows videoed by? You could easily do an eastern MT duck/goose hunt with some predator hunting or an ice fishing episode if you can still film in December.

Randy, when do you need to have all of your shows videoed by? You could easily do an eastern MT duck/goose hunt with some predator hunting or an ice fishing episode if you can still film in December.

We have to get them delivered to the network by June 1.

As far as type of episodes, sponsors look to us for western big game hunting. That is why even though I hunt predators, waterfowl, uplands, you don't see them on the show. The sponsors already have allocated their budgets to other shows that do such things, so they want us to be their coverage for western big game, especially big game on public lands.

Appreciate the ideas from you, and all others. I have to travel to Missoula the next two days, which is HQ for the Region One USFS office. I am hoping that someone in that office will understand the situation and allow some accommodation to what is strange predicament.

Thanks again.

Randy, they don't call it the forest circus for nothing! :D

How about a late season archery hunt? I know of a few places in this great state that have late season hunts, although I think they're mostly for deer.

Go get the bull you've been watching! If you need more hunting there are still OTC archery hunts for deer and elk in December and plenty of time for wolf and spring bear before June. If I don't tag out next week I'll be doing the Idaho late archery hunt myself.

Got an idea of sorts. What about a show where you answer viewer questions about stuff and use previous footage in your answer to show what you mean? New show, viewer involvement, hunting footage, and helpful answers and tips from the host. Could probably get about 3 questions in during the time frame with hunting footage thrown in to provide the "show me" part. Good luck with the paperwork.

There needs to be a serious look at this and other things regarding our public lands after they tried to shut them down during the shutdown.

We all need to contact the legislators on this.

Last edited:
Yes.

How do you propose the Western States manage said lands with no source of revenue?

Pretty tough to manage millions of acres off the backs of 400,000 (Wyomings population) in particular when we cant even fund the State Lands Department and Wyoming Game and Fish now.

How do Colorado hunters come up with enough funding to lease hunting rights from the State? They dont have the funding to do that with the limited amount of State Lands in Colorado now, let alone if they acquired all federal lands?

How will the states handle the first above average wildfire season with no Federal money?

Finally, (perhaps the first question I should have asked)...how do the States come up with the initial funds to purchase Federal Lands to start with?

Seems most states are in the chit financially.

Last edited:
Yes.

How do you propose the Western States manage said lands with no source of revenue?

Pretty tough to manage millions of acres off the backs of 400,000 (Wyomings population) in particular when we cant even fund the State Lands Department and Wyoming Game and Fish now.

How do Colorado hunters come up with enough funding to lease hunting rights from the State? They dont have the funding to do that with the limited amount of State Lands in Colorado now, let alone if they acquired all federal lands?

How will the states handle the first above average wildfefire season with no Federal money?

Finally, (perhaps the first question I should have asked)...how do the States come up with the initial funds to purchase Federal Lands to start with?

Seems most states are in the chit financially.

I already told Randy I was taking about ag/grazing land.

How many people apply for filming permits Buzz? lol.

I thought about that. Seems all the sherpas I know have elk tags and will be hunting/scouting for themselves.

Well since my wife tagged out last thurs. and I shot my elk during bow season, I am available, seriously.... I'm only a state away and grew up in Montana, I got pretty much the gear I need, send me a PM and maybe we could work something out...
Matt

Pretty crappy situation Fin. I'm very sorry to hear not only the hassle that is involved when the gov is running but the hard place it has put you in because of the shutdown. I can relate but not nearly on the same level. The place my dad, his friends and I have been hunting since 1987 is US Corp of Engineering property and while the land was still available for walking in, the camp ground and boat ramps where closed because of the shutdown. We called this weekend and because the campground was vacated by the volunteer force they aren't planning to reopen it or the boat ramps this year. It is illegal to camp any where but the camp grounds or we'd just hike in a bit and set up shop. We take a boat a ways down the lake to get to our usual grounds and there isn't much chance of the older guys making that hike and being able to hunt. We could always stay at a hotel 30 minutes up the road but it's really not the same.

All this beuracracy BS would drive me nuts. As the old saying goes, maybe it would be easier to ask for forgiveness than to beg for permission. But I do admire your integrety to try to do things the right way.

Just got an email from some really good folks at the Forest Service. They said they are going to find a way that we can get permitted for this hunt. They told us to plan on the hunt; that they will get the permit processed.

Yee Haw!

There are some people in the FS that need to be commended for using some ingenuity and being problem solvers. They could easily have put it in the round file and said, "Not my problem."

It is popular for people to hammer agency employees when they get frustrated with government. I have had nothing but good experiences working with almost every agency person I have worked with on the permit issues over six years of producing public land hunts.

Once I get out of these two days of Obamacare classes for my CPA continuing education, I am going to relocate that bull. And with any luck, I am going to camp on him until opening morning, at which time I will introduce myself via a Howa Handshake.

The entire class of 200 CPAs, turned and looked at me when I read the email on my phone and let out a loud, "Yes!" and gave a big fist pump. Hope they don't think I was that excited about this huge tax bill we are going to be dealing with. :eek:

There are some people in the FS that need to be commended for using some ingenuity and being problem solvers. They could easily have put it in the round file and said, "Not my problem."

It is popular for people to hammer agency employees when they get frustrated with government. I have had nothing but good experiences working with almost every agency person I have worked with on the permit issues over six years of producing public land hunts.
. :eek:

Great news on the hunt and yes there are many dedicated and resourceful public servants working in our government. We all should stop sometimes and give credit where it is due.

Once I get out of these two days of Obamacare classes for my CPA continuing education, I am going to relocate that bull. . :eek:

Two days of training for the ACA is nothing, I am up to about 120 hours total and still have some more to do.

Have yet to get the thing to work but have nothing but time with my current leg issue. Hope you kill the bull you have your eyes on.

Nemont

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shed God
Back