Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Gubment shutdown hits Fresh Tracks

Nice. Glad to see the good folks at the USFS get this done and get one of their biggest champions out there doing what needs to be done. :)

The entire class of 200 CPAs, turned and looked at me when I read the email on my phone and let out a loud, "Yes!" and gave a big fist pump. Hope they don't think I was that excited about this huge tax bill we are going to be dealing with. :eek:

That's some funny stuff!

Congrats on getting over the obstacle!

Good luck on finding that bull!

Glad it worked out Fin...much easier to pursue the personal aspects of a hunt once business issues are stabilized...no matter what your vocation entails.

Just got an email from some really good folks at the Forest Service. They said they are going to find a way that we can get permitted for this hunt. They told us to plan on the hunt; that they will get the permit processed.

Yee Haw!

There are some people in the FS that need to be commended for using some ingenuity and being problem solvers. They could easily have put it in the round file and said, "Not my problem."

It is popular for people to hammer agency employees when they get frustrated with government. I have had nothing but good experiences working with almost every agency person I have worked with on the permit issues over six years of producing public land hunts.

Once I get out of these two days of Obamacare classes for my CPA continuing education, I am going to relocate that bull. And with any luck, I am going to camp on him until opening morning, at which time I will introduce myself via a Howa Handshake.

The entire class of 200 CPAs, turned and looked at me when I read the email on my phone and let out a loud, "Yes!" and gave a big fist pump. Hope they don't think I was that excited about this huge tax bill we are going to be dealing with. :eek:

Great news Randy.

I would much rather see that "fee" go to youth hunting instead of the Government.

Great news Randy, best of luck and looking forward to the show. Hope he is right where ya left him.

I'm glad it looks like it's going to work out! Two consecutive posts commending federal employees? It's like I don't know anyone here any more... ;)

Just got an email from some really good folks at the Forest Service. They said they are going to find a way that we can get permitted for this hunt. They told us to plan on the hunt; that they will get the permit processed.

Yee Haw!

There are some people in the FS that need to be commended for using some ingenuity and being problem solvers. They could easily have put it in the round file and said, "Not my problem."

It is popular for people to hammer agency employees when they get frustrated with government. I have had nothing but good experiences working with almost every agency person I have worked with on the permit issues over six years of producing public land hunts.

Once I get out of these two days of Obamacare classes for my CPA continuing education, I am going to relocate that bull. And with any luck, I am going to camp on him until opening morning, at which time I will introduce myself via a Howa Handshake.

Glad to hear it is going to work out for you Randy!

Yes.

How do you propose the Western States manage said lands with no source of revenue?

Pretty tough to manage millions of acres off the backs of 400,000 (Wyomings population) in particular when we cant even fund the State Lands Department and Wyoming Game and Fish now.

How do Colorado hunters come up with enough funding to lease hunting rights from the State? They dont have the funding to do that with the limited amount of State Lands in Colorado now, let alone if they acquired all federal lands?

How will the states handle the first above average wildfire season with no Federal money?

Finally, (perhaps the first question I should have asked)...how do the States come up with the initial funds to purchase Federal Lands to start with?

Seems most states are in the chit financially.

Buzz,
don't want to have a fight but do you think there are things that could be done differently with our federal land that would cost taxpayers less and still allow public use?

Seems like grazing leases that charge fair market value would help. Allowing some logging with proper management of the timber resource might help provide income and prevent at least some of the fires. Beats the heck out of watching a valuable resource burn every summer then trying to put fires out with piles of money and federal resources, airplanes, helicopters, firefighters, etc... For some reason the timber companies seem to do a better job of managing their resource than the government. Might be able to let the timber companies and mineral lease holders maintain some of the roads so the state or federal government would not have to perform such maintenance all the time. Other mineral and energy leases could provide some income from the property as well. Allowing private companies to bid for the right to operate national parks like Yellowstone and Mt Rushmore instead of operating them with tax dollars and federal employees. Just a few thoughts. Basically do what other landowners do with their property so it can at least help pay for itself and bring in tourism dollars to the state which result in increased tax revenues and job for people in states like Wyoming. I find it hard to believe that there are not ways to improve the way our federal government manages this land, resources, monuments, and parks.

As far as purchasing why not just give/lease the property to the state and let them manage it? After this latest shutdown it seem that the states might do a better job at managing things like national parks as well since they have more at stake then the federal government anyway. Would save the federal government a bundle and allow the states to do what they want with the land by doing what works best in their state. Surely there are inefficiencies that could be avoided by transferring ownership to the state level of government.

Another thought would be for states like Wyoming to charge more for NR tags to help pay for the lands and associated costs. I'd have no problem paying a little extra for such access. $25 land stamp for each tag or something similar. That way residents and tourists don't' have to foot the whole bill.

I work with the USFS and other federal government entities on a regular basis and it sure seems possible to do things in a more efficient manner than they way they do things.

Im not gonna complain about NFS BLM or FWP cause last time I checked they all do decent with helping us( the public).
However Big Fin, Maybe you could hit up some of the late season archery areas in the state if your schedual?

Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back