Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Gubment shutdown hits Fresh Tracks

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
As many of you know, what we film, where we film, and many other factors of the show, are a function of ability to obtain public land filming permits from the Forest Service and BLM. Just part of the deal that comes with filming exclusively on public lands.

When the government shut down, we had two filming permits that were not yet finalized. Well, one not yet finalized and one that needed to be processed due to changes in our schedule.

A big relief to our filming permit worries when the government re-opened last week. Or, so I thought.

In spite of a great Forest Service employee doing everything possible, short flying to DC and fixing their computer system, we cannot get a filming permit in time for our Montana elk hunt next week. Seems the computer system that processes Special Use permits is off line until next Thursday. We start packing in and filming on Friday, with the hunt starting on Saturday. No way they can get it approved in that one day, given it usually is a six-week process.

The FS employees have done all they can, within the bounds of reasonableness to try find a way to get us a permit. They are always extremely helpful to us, appreciating that we are showing the recreation values on lands they manage. But, sometimes large agencies are not granted any flexibility and things don't get fixed at the speed I am accustomed to in a twelve-person CPA firm.

So, I sit here this morning, one week from opening day, pondering, "What to do?"

I want to pay the fee and get this on film. About $1,750 for a week, plus a $100 processing fee.

I don't want to miss this hunt. It is on the schedule and we need it to get enough episodes this year, given one of our hunts this year had some technical difficulties that we did not discover until we got home.

I am using a public resource, so I should pay a fee for using it in my commercial activities, even if I think the fee is rather exorbitant.

I am told that the Forest Service cannot grant film permits retroactively. Supposedly, you have to have the permit in hand at the time you are filming. Or, at least that is what I am told. I had hoped I could have my application pending with them before we left for the hunt, with the fee paid in full, then get the permit finalized at a later date.

I was also told at one time that denial of filming permits in designated Wilderness Areas was due to a Federal law. I have since come to find out it is an administrative decision at each Regional level, not a Federal law. Thus, Region One here in Montana and a couple other Regions in the Northern Rockies have that as their rule, but other Regions in AZ, NV, NM issue Wilderness Area filming permits on a case-by-case basis.

So, being told that permits cannot be given retroactively is not something I am taking as the gospel, as experience tells me that often times what is just an administrative rule is stated to be a law. I will continue to press the option of getting this permit finalized after the fact.

Anyone can film on public lands without a permit, so long as the footage is not used for commercial use. In my case, it kind of defeats the purpose of filming an episode if I can't use it in the show. Not going to incur thousands of dollars of production expense and not be able to put it on the tube.

What it comes down to is this.

I am going elk hunting next weekend.

I have found a really good bull in a nasty pile of junk. He has been there both times I have went scouting and glassing.

It is a public land area that is open to the general tag. It is not any fun to get in there and will be a two-day chore to pack him out if I am so lucky as to shoot him.

I want to film it and show people how good the public land elk hunting can be in Montana. To show people some ideas they might want to try when they come here. Ideas that include coming a day or two early for scouting, even if that means one less day of hunting; not setting up camp and drinking beer for an extra day, but pounding the hills and finding elk before the first rifle cracks. Being mobile and flexible rather than setting up a huge camp that you probably would not want to relocate, even if the elk are far from your chosen location. How to hunt public areas that are very close to exclusive private outfitted ranches (I might be giving too many details) and how the bulls often hang higher on the mountain, above the private and still on the public; albeit the nastiest part of the public.

If I can't solve the permit issue this week, I am still going hunting. I will film it by myself, as the production company cannot take the risk to be associated with a hunt that is not permitted in advance. I understand that and would not want to put them in the position.

If I decide to film it myself, it will require one trip to haul in my cameras, tripods, and accessories and another trip to haul in my camp; loads usually split among me and camera guys that can be done in one trip. Will probably make one trip on Thursday and cache the production gear, scout that evening, come out in the dark, and then go in with my camp on Friday morning and scout all day, hoping to have the bull(s) located that night.

If the hunt works out and I can get some decent footage by myself, I will continue to seek a filming permit retroactively, so I can put it on the TV show. My greatest hope.

If I can't get it a retroactive permit and the footage is worth showing, I guess it will be a freebie that viewers can watch YouTube. I would load it up for non-commercial purposes and still be in compliance with the rules. Not good for me, but good for people who don't get the Sportsman Channel.

Our other pending permit is with the BLM. It has been in their office for a couple months. The person in charge of permits for that office was out sick much of September, so the permit never got finished before the shut down. We have worked with that office before and they are always good about getting things done for us. If for some reason their system is down and cannot get us a permit, we will lose two episodes that were supposed to come from that hunt and this TV show will be in a bad, bad, way.

Not sure how we would make up three episodes. Actually four, if we cannot salvage one we have already filmed for this season. I guess you will see a lot of wolf hunting, even if it had to be on private lands.

It is times like this that frustrate me. I know many of the other shows that occasionally film on public lands don't even bother with this headache - it saves them money and saves them this kind of hassle. They, or their employees, tell me such. The agencies often remark that I am the only one who has applied for a filming permit, yet I know of many shows filmed on their forest or district.

But, I am not about cutting corners. I want to do it right and show how great the hunting can be on some of these public lands. Surely makes me want a simpler system, such as the bill in Congress last year that would have made it a $500 annual fee for any/all Federal lands, so long as your crew was less than 5 people. That would make too much sense, so it got shot down in the politics of an election year.

I hope you get to see this one on the network. But who knows, maybe I will carry my camp in there, go through all this extraneous effort, sleep on this frozen rock for a couple nights, only to find that the the bull is long gone, and all of this worry is for nothing. He would be my biggest bull ever and to do it on this piece of public land would be such a great story for a show like ours. Heck, I would be glad to shoot one of the three other bulls that are on the same mountain.

Moral of the story - Don't start a public land TV show. :eek:

End of my whining. Happy hunting.

Heck of a pickle Fin. How about some volunteer sherpas to help with the packing? Hope you get the retro permit, I have no doubt it'd be an interesting segment given the situation, critter connect or not.

From the perspective of your business, that is really unfortunate. And in not cutting corners, it says a lot that you recognize the right decision is not an easy one.

From the perspective of a Montanan though, dude, It is hunting season and you know where some Elk are and you are able to hunt! Which is awesome.

I thought about that. Seems all the sherpas I know have elk tags and will be hunting/scouting for themselves.

I must've missed my invite :D

What's the scoop on filming on block management areas? I assume private lands are exempt from permits?

Good grief! $1750 for a week of filming plus a $100 processing fee. I thought this land belonged to you and I. I stopped into the steamboat Springs BLM office last year. I wanted to inquire about the status of some BLM parcels. I almost choked when the girl told me that Three Forks had exclusive hunting rights on a large piece. I was told that the BLM would be paid something like 10% of what was made on this land. Really?? I'm still waiting for my cut.

Operational challenges drive strong persons temporarily crazy. Congrats to you for trying to do this the right way behind the camera as well as in front. You can do OTC whitetail deer in Missouri. You need elk, though. Long trip to Hawaii but some public land Spanish goat hunts there plus feral pigs, sheep and cattle that cause problems. The better Washington blacktail deer hunts are OTC. Private land Oryx hunt in NM would give insight to same hunt that is public draw on military base since highly unlikely will ever be filming if draw the base tag. OTC Oregon Rosie elk are OTC for most part. Just tossing ideas out for Plan B and C in the future. Best thing is to go get the dog a latte and do a crossword to clear out the mind again. Good luck.

I'm sorry to hear of your troubles. As a show that is dedicated to the public land hunter,I'm guessing that with a little creativity you could come up with an episode here.
How our Federal land management agencies function,What they are tasked with,how their funding affects their ability to perform those tasks.
I know you get a lot of grief for not always having kills on tape but It seems to me that the guys who choose to hunt public ground could stand to learn about those who are tasked with the management of it.
Just like the Wolf and Bison episodes where more about the issues surrounding them, there are some issues surrounding public lands that could make for an informative show.

Thats not a bad idea. A show about all the hoops and red tape involved in filming a public lands show for tv legally with all the permits. Beef it up with some production information and a couple of camera man bios and finish it with a few out takes and I would probably watch it a few times.

Dang Randy, quite the conundrum. Best of luck with both the bull and the permits. I'd imagine having the permit in hand by the time the film is put to commercial use would cover you, even if it wasn't in hand at the time of hunting. Especially since the shutdown is the problem and not procrastination on your part. But that's just common sense talking . . .

Bummer situation. Go hunt.

You may have done this and I have missed it, but one idea for a filler episode is one show based on gear for western hunting. Too many come west with a brand spanking new 338 whiz bang magnum, yet have crappy boots and $29 tasco binos.

The red tape is so rediculous.

Super frustrating for the guys trying to follow the letter of the law. At least YouTube is an option.

Sorry to hear about that. The excessive red tape involved in public land filming is one of the main reasons I got out of the business.

I helped out on a DIY Montana bear hunt this past spring that was filmed on forest service lands. The production company kept getting the runaround by my local forest service office, so I had to go over there several times to sort things out.

On top of knowing exactly where we would park every day as well as each drainage we would hunt, they also wanted the gps coordinates of where we would be hunting as well as where I expected to kill a bear. I asked the guy if he could tell me the coordinates of where he was going to kill his elk this fall. He responded with "how am I supposed to know that?" to which I said "exactly".

We compromised on him requiring us to call in every morning to let him know where we would be that day, but for some reason he was not at the office at 4:30 in the morning.

What really pissed me off was when he kept insisting that the hunt should be done with an outfitter since that would make the permitting process so much easier for us and him since they already have a commercial permit. That really set me off since it seems they have no problem permitting twelve (12) different outfitters to commercially outfit the same area. We finally got it all worked out, but it sure was a frustrating process.

Good luck with the BLM permit!

Very frustrating for sure.
I say go do your hunt and video your self, take several still photos before, during and after, (hero shots of course).
Put together an episode of the "hunt that wasn't filmed" using still photos and explain all that is involved in filming a TV hunting show. With the utmost explanation of what is involved in getting the permits, to film on public lands.
Bring attention how other filming is going on without permits.
Let it be known to the general public the frustrations involved. As you mentioned, there are lots of filming going on "illegally". You guys make it look easy to go out and start filming your own show. Even the average Joe that thinks he is going to start his own hunting show, probably doesn't realize the legality of filming on public lands.

So give me a definition of "commercial" filming or for that matter, give me a definition of "commercial" photography.
Photographers flock to national parks everyday to take photographs to sell, even though commercial photography is prohibited.

Good luck!

So give me a definition of "commercial" filming or for that matter, give me a definition of "commercial" photography.
Photographers flock to national parks everyday to take photographs to sell, even though commercial photography is prohibited.

Good luck!

Some agency folks will tell you that photographers are supposed to get special use permits when photographing on public lands, if they intend to use their images for commercial purposes. I am not too sure if that is the case. What's the difference between a DSLR that takes a single still image that is sold as a photograph versus a DSLR that takes multiple images that gets sold as video. Hard for me to understand any difference.

Thanks for all the ideas. The network and sponsors want episodes that are hunting. Episodes purely focused on equipment, public land issues, etc. might be appealing to us, but would not be something that networks and sponsors would want to see.

Just back in from scouting this evening. Did see two rigs parked near where this bull is hanging out with a few other bulls. Did not see any elk tonight. Wonder if these guys were chasing them on this last weekend of archery season. I will be back to relocate him during the week.

Appreciate all the PMs that have offered to help. Great group of folks here and I thank all of you for your support.

Randy, sorry for the frustrations. If you need some back up episode hunts, I am sure there are plenty here who would be willing to help out with having some of their adventures filmed and they would probably make for some incredible TV. I have no idea what that would involve, but is just seems like the Hunt Talkers are generally a great group willing to pitch in if at all possible.

If you need some back up episode hunts, I am sure there are plenty here who would be willing to help out with having some of their adventures filmed and they would probably make for some incredible TV.

You're right; lots of great guys here who would be willing to help out.

The problem comes in our schedule over the next six weeks. We are only in MT for the first week of the season. After that first week in MT, we are on the road for 30 of the next 36 days, getting home in early December, after the MT season is over.

That schedule crunch is what makes this such a bummer. We have no other time slots in our schedule where we can come back and fit in this MT elk hunt or film other people in MT.

We will figure something out. We always do. Just not sure what that will be at this time. Wolves, bears, predators, or ...... If we don't get two episodes out of our hunts in CO, WY, and in AZ, then we are really in a bind.

But, until the last day of seasons have passed, we still have some options.

Sen. Baucus and his staff could probably resolve this in short order , with just a phone call from his office . They have done this for many of us when dealing with federal agencies. It might be worth a call. 202-224-2651. I'd like to see the episode made.

Funny how for $1700 you could graze x number head of cattle all summer on public lands but one week of filming costs the same with little to no impact. :rolleyes:

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back