Glacier NP trip

Didn't want to start a new thread, so piggy backing.

Rep. Ryan Zinke was none too pleased Wednesday when he couldn’t reserve a ticket to drive on Glacier National Park’s popular Going-to-the-Sun Road during peak hours on July 6.

The Montana Republican quickly shared his frustrations on Twitter.

“The system shows tickets available on the date. When you click there’s none available,” he tweeted.

Zinke then added his conclusion: “The entire reservation system is a deliberate strategy to keep the public out of parks and this website is a total scam.”

Bummer deal ryan.

On another note, I was not scammed. Picked up a Going to the Sun and also a Many Glacier this morning. :p :p :p :p

The website, as my wife described it, "kind of a cluster f#$k".
For the month of July all tickets sold in the first eight minutes for North fork, as one example.

One sec it states road as available, click on it and next it's not. Website overwhelmed / bogged down.

When August opens, wife says use the app. Not the website. Familiarize yourself how it works because as places say available, if you don't act fast enough - see ya! Gone.

She was successful for one G2S (three day ticket), one two medicine and one many glacier.

All sold out in 15 minutes of website opening for July.

Same happened for June.

A few extra tags release the day before, and again be ready to act quick.

Working for USDA these days, can confirm that almost none of the recreation systems work 100%, and are very easy to bog down. My whole office just signed a massive complaint to the state office about how our networks flat out just don't work sometimes. People complain that the phone system doesn't work when they try to call certain extensions, too.

I don't like Zinke any more than I like having my shin kicked, but there's so little effort being made on some fronts that even we question what the heck is going on sometimes.

I've been to Glacier a half dozen times or so, it would be unbearable now without tickets. It's hard enough to park as it is.

Zinke needs to quit whining, he can still wake up early and go in early in the morning and he won't need a pass.

PS. I got my Many Glacier and GTSR tix this morning, but North Fork was sold out by the time I got there so I'll try again on the "day before" lottery.

It is what it is 🤷

Working for USDA these days, can confirm that almost none of the recreation systems work 100%, and are very easy to bog down. My whole office just signed a massive complaint to the state office about how our networks flat out just don't work sometimes. People complain that the phone system doesn't work when they try to call certain extensions, too.

I don't like Zinke any more than I like having my shin kicked, but there's so little effort being made on some fronts that even we question what the heck is going on sometimes.
Seems to me Mr Zinke could have looked into that a few years back. :D
1677724625584.png

I’m sure he can still use the “Do you know who I am!?” and get a pass. Let’s be honest, the Washington swamp-dwellers get special treatment all the time. Hell, that’s why he keeps running for the job.
I am sure you are right, but if he wants attention in the headlines and on twitter, it was the right call.:poop:

There I am, part of the problem. :unsure:

Not a fan of Zinke either, but I feel that he does have a point when it comes to Glacier National Park. The opening dates keep getting later, the closing dates earlier, then they close campgrounds and roads for years. These actions all contribute to crowding, then they complain about crowding. Seems like the Park leadership helps create the problem. The roads opened earlier 80, 70, 60, 50 years ago, with more snow, and much worse equipment. Yes, there would be more crowding today anyway, but some Park leadership decisions certainly aren't helping.

Lots of overcrowding issues in many NPs.

Covid and the Blackfeet closing east side was a factor. Major road construction to Many Glacier was an issue. Record snow levels on Going-to-Sun last year was an issue. Major road construction last year and this year on the west side is an issue.

I am happy with the reservation system to help the crowding issue. Like Zinke, I tried for the 6th, after trying for the 7th. Neither worked, but I was able to get the 8th. As mentioned, he can try again for his preferred date a couple days prior his visit or as mentioned previously, get to the gate before 6 and enjoy your day.

I can see a day in the near future where we will be trying to get reservations to ride a bus.

As for campgrounds, there are plenty just outside the Park and can be very lucrative for the locals in the area not only for lodging, but also restruants and tourist crap. Few million acres of public land to camp and recreate in the area as well.

If I am too lazy to get up early, I will just drive into the Park at 3pm when gates are wide open and and enjoy the 6 or 7 hours of daylight still available to me. Still lots of options for recreate and not sit on the sidelines and bitch about everything you feel entitled to because of the way it was 20 years ago. Damn Californians. ;)

1677769099841.png

I'll hop on the park complaint bandwagon!

I guess GNP is releasing all the backcountry permits for the entire season at the very same time this year? Going to be a bonkers attempt of furiously hitting the reload button at the time the site goes live.

This is the second change to the backcountry permitting system in the last few years, I believe. Used to be that you faxed or mailed a lottery application. Last year it was an online lottery. This year, free for all.

I kind of don't mind Yellowstone's recent backcountry permitting change. You now have to apply for a lottery that assigns a place in line for your window to make reservations wherever you choose. I got a pretty decent number last year but still couldn't get the primo Bechler campsites on the dates I wanted. Call the wahmbulance for me, please.

As for Going to the Sun - Both my mother and girlfriend have never driven the road and desperately want to, we splurged early on the cheapest hotel option we could find inside of park boundaries that come with the permit. Kinda stinks we couldn't just wing it, but I'm perfectly content with the timed entry system. GTTSR was getting to be an unenjoyable chitshow even before the covid outdoors tourism boom.

We are planning a trip through in August on our way to Banff so was hoping to get tickets on April 1st. Thanks for the tip on using the app, I will try that. If we don't get a ticket I guess we will have to go through either before 6am or after 3pm.

NPS are commonly referenced by NPS LEO's as the human zoo for animal amusement.

i am saddened by the need for permitting, but i get it. i miss the old days when i could have an evening hike in Glacier after work. It was pretty damn cool. I also agree the current system is a mess. I think Rep. Zinke would be in a good position to provide improvements, but he seems more interested in pushing conspiracies about people getting "scammed."

I'm a dispersed camping guy. Only do a RV hookup when I need a shower. Was going through the Flathead Valley on HW 93 a couple years back. Many Waterfowl Production Areas there with scattered parking lots, Griz bear warning signs, stayed the night in one. Talked to a couple of fishermen, they said they're around.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back