Caribou Gear

Glacier NP trip

Ben Nicholson

We're planning a trip to Glacier NP this summer. We will be heading from Iowa driving through MN, ND, and MT. Any suggestions on good campgrounds (we have a 30' camper)? Any "can't miss" spots along the way?

Thanks,
Ben

Warning. Pandemic has hit Glacier hard. The east entrances have been closed because the Blackfoot reservation has been hammered by covid. There has been a lot of traffic congestion on the west side as a result. Plus there is a big construction project on US 2. Glacier is still a wonderful place but pack a duffel bag of patience.

Lot's of different things near the park also to check out. It's worth a drive through the National Bison Range. You would have to drop your trailer at the entrance someplace for the long drive 20 miles or so through the park. Early mornings are best or late afternoons. A couple short hikes also. At the entrance there are some picnic tables and out-houses. Also an entrance building where you pay for the trip through and some neat things to look at inside.

The Mission Mountains and the views of the mountains and especially the views from the drive through the park up on the top is really nice.

"I might give Glacier a pass. The Grizz there are aggressive."

NOT !!!!!
I have been camping in the park for 50 years and only seen one bear.
That was from my car.
They keep track of the bears and close anything that is close, The tent camps have 12' high bear fences. You do the bear stuff and you will never have a problem.

Not sure of your exact travel route but Medora, ND. is a cool place to check out along the way. Checkout the pitchfork fondue and the musical in Medora. Then if your up for a drink after that Boots is the place to go. TRNP is located right there to.

HEY try not to ruin his thread with a dumbass Grizzly bear argument.

Last edited:
"I might give Glacier a pass. The Grizz there are aggressive."

NOT !!!!!
I have been camping in the park for 50 years and only seen one bear.
That was from my car.
They keep track of the bears and close anything that is close, The tent camps have 12' high bear fences. You do the bear stuff and you will never have a problem.
Dude, where do you get this stuff from? Interested in this 12' bear fence you mention. Not sure what camping area you are talking about, but I haven't seen it at any of the areas I have been to. I haven't been camping in the park for 50 years, so maybe I am missing something.

You have me trumped on experience, but I will get you on bear sightings. I see them often when visiting. Probably just better eyes. ;):D

This one was tough to miss. No crop on this shot.
34524221752_29904e0890_6k.jpg

This youngster liked playing with sheep.
46969975005_ade6e8a596_5k.jpg

This little guy was about wrestling size. The claws did intimidate me.
40917479643_8c2390ce39_6k.jpg

I will agree with 45 on Waterton, great place to visit as well. I see plenty of griz in Glacier, but rarely in Waterton. Lots of blacks though.

These black bears were from Glacier. Once again, tough to miss.
47837959371_8a2b7c9eb7_5k.jpg

47860101542_defb302b1f_5k.jpg

Sorry about crowbarring in the bear pics, just bored waiting for the game to start.

Glacier is a fantastic place to spend some time. There are plenty of bears, but that is part of the draw and why I love to spend time there. Lots of great trails, but I haven't done very many due to having my pup. Waterton isn't as stringent on dog rules, so another check mark for the Canada side. I hope they will let me cross the line this year.

Thanks for posting this. I was planning on taking my family through Glacier/Waterton this summer on our way to a conference I'm going to in Banff in early August.

I may need to plan it out a little better than I was originally intending to (as in zero planning at all) to make sure it is a reasonable enjoyable experience.

Of course that is assuming that the border is going to be open.

P.S. - nice pictures Mr. Miller.

We're planning a trip to Glacier NP this summer. We will be heading from Iowa driving through MN, ND, and MT. Any suggestions on good campgrounds (we have a 30' camper)? Any "can't miss" spots along the way?

Thanks,
Ben
I've not seen @idnative1948 in some time and since I've chopped further use of FB, even less... they took their trailer, stopped at our house on their way to Glacier and had a great time. If I remember, I'll reach out to him when time permits today and see if he'll chime in.

I've worked out there many years (13 or so) and it's one of the favorite aspects of my temp duty assignments of my employment! I'll tap back in later with some info.

I'd nix the Devil's Tower idea,, save it for when you're headed to Yellowstone.

Glacier is an amazing place. I prefer the east side but it's all good. If you are pulling a 30 foot trailer,, I think coming across Montana on Highway 2 is way better than coming across on Montana 200. A lot of 200 is without much of a road shoulder.

I'd suggest 94 to Belfield, US85 to Williston, then US 2 to Glacier. I don't know how bad the oil field traffic is on 85. That might be a consideration.

Bring hiking boots and a camera.

Not sure of your exact travel route but Medora, ND. is a cool place to check out along the way. Checkout the pitchfork fondue and the musical in Medora. Then if your up for a drink after that Boots is the place to go. TRNP is located right there to.

HEY try not to ruin his thread with a dumbass Grizzly bear argument.

I was thinking about hitting TRNP for a couple days either on the way out or the way back.

Get your crew up and going early to find parking at some of the more popular trailheads. Iceberg lake is worth the hike. We camp at the West Glacier KOA when we go.

You like the KOA better than staying in the park? I was thinking about trying to get a reservation for the Many Glaciers CG, but am really open to anything.

Great stuff! Thanks for all the input! Follow up question, what is the right about of time to dedicate to Glacier? Three days? More?

Thanks,
Ben

You like the KOA better than staying in the park? I was thinking about trying to get a reservation for the Many Glaciers CG, but am really open to anything.
Hopefully that area is open by the time you get there. Rona really hit that Park hard last year with the east side being closed.

PS. I filmed this Grizzly right from town. They're thick in there. Go have fun, just be smart.

VideoCapture_20200822-213407.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back