Ginger Ale

Ate at LJS ,once. Yuck!
Used to go to the Sizzler in SLO town on Fridays for lunch every once in a while. We called it the Gissler.
Tough steaks and trot salad bar,but served by Poly Dollies.

I've probably averaged 2 ginger ale's a year throughout my life while on the ground. The number increases to 4 if I have a flight that year. Not sure why but I'm one of the ones that orders them on planes. Also not sure I've ever paid for one. My grandmother used to keep them in her fridge and now my sister does from time to time, usually around the holidays.

Haven't had LJS in years. But I can still remember that greasy/waxy coating that stays in your mouth a lot longer than it should.

When the girls were young they always got to pick where to go for dinner on their birthday, it typically was ALWAYS the same places each year.

The oldest would always pick Jacks, the best steaks in town and ones that have rivaled anywhere I’ve eaten. I knew I’d be reaching for my wallet that night.

The middle daughter would pick Rico’s, an old-world family owned pizza joint with cold beer and great pies the size of a manhole cover. Always a fav choice of this dad and all the teams I coached!

Then there’s the youngest daughter…
View attachment 217975
I always knew to restock the t-p and pepto on her birthday, long nite ahead!
My sophomore year of high school, I cut a lot of weight for wrestling season. Like went from a lean/mean 185 during football season to 152 for wrestling season. Not smart, I know, and there's rules against kids doing it these days. But, the day after we got back from the state tournament, 4 of us headed to Granny's Buffet in Coeur d' Alene. Classy place. We all ate ourselves stupid, took a little nappy nap in a booth, woke up, and ate again.

I don't think I've ever been sicker than I was 4 hours later.

I had never thought about it but I am the guy the OP mentioned. I never, ever, by a 12 pack of Ginger Ale. First, we don't buy any soda at the house, but secondly I just wouldn't. Also, you can't order a ginger ale at a restaurant. So, as far as I know, an airplane is the only place you can get a single serve ginger ale and I'm generally going to get one.

Ginger Ale is the soft drink of the refined palate. It's not offensive to the nose like a cola, it's not a diuretic like Dr. Pepper or Mr. Pibb, and it's not some diet drink pretending to be a soda like the lemon/lime stuff.

Ginger Ale is for people who still dress when they fly. Have some class people. It's not a 4 hour nap in your PJ's, it's a chance to explore the country from your expensive and uncomfortable seat!

Gin & Ginger, Ginger & Jameson, all good concoctions.

Ginger Beer is the only acceptable mixer for Moscow Mules & Dark & Stormy's (Ginger Beer & Dark Rum). Anything else is a pretender to the name.

Also, Golden Corral is the appropriate choice in diners when it's after 2 am and before an actual working man's establishment opens for drunk breakfast. Shoney's is a second rate Chuck E Cheese and we all know it. Casa Bonita is the stuff of legends, and Long John SIlvers was a Sunday treat on rare occasion, whilst Pizza Hut was where the parties happened, and where we celebrated our stunning pee-wee leauge victories over the other team who was three tables over, licking their wounds.
..or
1649082508649.png

The Ginger menace, yes.

Not the same, as their ginger is the fake kind, unlike ginger beer, ale and pickled ginger, which is also what we called Red Buttons when he got all liquored up on ginger and Jameson.

I may have a ginger ale once or twice year unless there's Jameson around then my consumption goes up exponentially.
We have an LJS in a nearby town. I bet I haven't been there in 25 years. It was one of my mom's favorite places to go. I don't think I could choke any of it down now.

I don’t think you have to choke ljs down, it’s more like cotton candy or a funnel cake from the fair.
A once or twice a year treat.

Ginger Ale is for people who still dress when they fly. Have some class people. It's not a 4 hour nap in your PJ's, it's a chance to explore the country from your expensive and uncomfortable seat!

Watch me pound both a Ginger Ale and Tomato juice on every flight I take while wearing sweat pants, a hoodie and neck pillow. About the only time I wear sweats in public.

Ginger Ale is the Gateway.

Pretty soon you are getting 12 packs of the BOLD from the supermarket,,,,until one day that just doesn't hit hard enough and you try the Reeds Ginger Beer....Soon you are numb to it's effects and you pay $4.99 for 4 pk of 200 oz. bottles of.....

1649086254502.jpeg

Back