Free license for seniors

When Montana looked at these free & reduced cost licenses, we found out that we were essentially losing $5 million per year for conservation efforts. These kinds of feel good licenses are great for short term politics, but they take significant bites out of operations and maintenance budgets, warden funding, etc.

If the state decides to give these licenses away, then they should also make the agencies that have to deal with it whole through no-strings attached funds going to General License Accounts.

When Montana looked at these free & reduced cost licenses, we found out that we were essentially losing $5 million per year for conservation efforts. These kinds of feel good licenses are great for short term politics, but they take significant bites out of operations and maintenance budgets, warden funding, etc.

If the state decides to give these licenses away, then they should also make the agencies that have to deal with it whole through no-strings attached funds going to General License Accounts.

I don't think the youth and senior Resident licenses were the problem...the biggest bite was from the NR native licenses that were only 4x the resident fees and the half priced coming home to hunt NR license fees.

Seriously, a NR elk tag for $80, a NR deer tag for $64?

I think that was where the real revenue drain was at, having youth and senior paying $10 VS $20 for a resident elk tag doesn't add up to anything meaningful in the GF budget. Pretty tough for me to say the half priced youth and senior licenses are the problem, when everyone else only spends $20 for an elk tag in Montana.

What does add up is $114 dollars for deer and elk tags from a former Resident, instead of paying $1100ish.

At that rate, it would take 100 old folks buying reduced priced resident elk tags to equal the revenue loss for the (former) NR native license.

I was happy to see the NR native license fee's bumped up to the same as the coming home to hunt fees.

Hunting and fishing licenses are the greatest bang for the buck deal that I know of. In my state I can get a combination fishing and hunting license for less than $50 which provides me the opportunity to hunt and fish 365 days a year if I wanted. All this opportunity for less than a tank a gas in my truck. As Ben pointed out above, all these freebies do have an effect on the projects that can be funded by state game agencies.

Hunting and fishing licenses are the greatest bang for the buck deal that I know of. In my state I can get a combination fishing and hunting license for less than $50 which provides me the opportunity to hunt and fish 365 days a year if I wanted. All this opportunity for less than a tank a gas in my truck. As Ben pointed out above, all these freebies do have an effect on the projects that can be funded by state game agencies.

I agree, but what I think many are missing here, most states aren't charging seniors and youth NOTHING. They're charging a reduced fee, many have lots of limitations as well on who qualifies.

Wyoming for instance:

I totally agree, and since everyone's chances of being able to kick ass and take names hunting until then isn't very good, and they likely wont fill their tags anyway, why the big whine fest by you and others that they get to stay in the game at a reduced rate?

You afraid of some guy living on SS at age 65 getting a reduced price tag outcompeting you?

Lots of people will find something to complain about no matter what...prime example this with "issue".
The guy from riot central is always arguing over nothing, JMO.

I need to have 50 years residency to qualify for that $6 combo license. With 8% of Odfw revenue coming from the general fund, I think I’ve paid enough to get a $50 discount for the next 10 or so years.

I agree, but what I think many are missing here, most states aren't charging seniors and youth NOTHING. They're charging a reduced fee, many have lots of limitations as well on who qualifies.

Wyoming for instance:

Just an FYI - the 2016 news release you linked to has the past qualifications for the "free" pioneer bird, small game and fish licenses.

The qualifications for the pioneer bird, small game and fish licenses changed due to legislation introduced and passed (SF106) during the 2020 Wyoming legislative session. The new qualification language removes the word "continuously" so now it reads:

Any resident who is over sixty‑five (65) years and who has resided in Wyoming for at least the thirty (30) total years. No year of residence prior to the resident's tenth birthday shall be counted toward the thirty (30) year requirement imposed by this paragraph.

ClearCreek

Alaska is one state where at age 60 residents are eligible for a free hunting/fishing/trapping license
and no need to purchase state king salmon or duck stamps.

Several years back, the kid and I were standing, in line at Wendy's. Ordering my burger, the cashier asks" are you a senior? Over 55?" I said ya. First time it ever came up. The kid nearly pissed himself with laughter. Found it quite funny. I got a $1.10 off. I texted all the kids.
Now as an "old geezer" just got my dream tags without charge. I Love Alaska.

Alaska is one state where at age 60 residents are eligible for a free hunting/fishing/trapping license
and no need to purchase state king salmon or duck stamps.

Also after age 65 property taxes are substantially reduced ($150k exempt)

Are there other states that give seniors a break on licenses and property taxes?

Louisiana has a "Senior" Lifetime Hunting/Fishing license, for age 60 and older. It has a one time fee of $50. Includes everything except Fed Duck stamp. As far as property tax, when you reach age 65, you are not tax exempt, but you can freeze your tax at that rate (whatever it is when you hit #65), and it won't increase. For property tax though, there is a limit depending on your adjusted gross income. If you make more than $45k, you are not eligible.

Last edited:
I need to have 50 years residency to qualify for that $6 combo license. With 8% of Odfw revenue coming from the general fund, I think I’ve paid enough to get a $50 discount for the next 10 or so years.

Alaska has no length of residency requirement...you could move here at age 58 and have free hunting license and most tags at age 60.
This may be due to a court case on our oil dividend where they tried to award more money based on length of residency,
and the supreme court ruled against that thinking.

Other aspects in terms of hunting license that may be unique to Alaska?
1) Proxy hunting. Alaska residents who are 65 years of age or older, are physically disabled, or who are developmentally disabled, or blind
may be eligible to have another Alaska resident hunt or fish for them.

2) Lesser value species. A non-resident can legally take a species of lesser value on your tag.
So for example if your hunting moose with your $800 non-resident tag, you could legally harvest a caribou or goat or black bear
since they have less value tags ($600 for caribou or goat, $450 for black bear).

3) Youth sheep hunt. A 5-day youth sheep hunt Aug 1-5, prior to the regular season (Aug10-20).

4) Free tags for residents for sheep, goats, caribou, moose, black bears, grizzly bear in some units.

Nevada is $15 for 65 plus and 12-17. No state stamps. Only have to worry about federal duck stamp. Trout stamp, second rod, border state waters, upland game, etc all went away and they merged into one license and split the difference in cost. Resident fish hunt combo is $75. Trapping is separate.

OMG, can't we just say good for them and move on? It's not about who's rich and who ain't, I don't care. It's about respect for our older folks who have probably been buying licenses and tags for 40+ years.
Of course not. 😂

Last edited by a moderator:
Back