Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Free license for seniors

AlaskaHunter

Alaska is one state where at age 60 residents are eligible for a free hunting/fishing/trapping license
and no need to purchase state king salmon or duck stamps.

Also after age 65 property taxes are substantially reduced ($150k exempt)

Are there other states that give seniors a break on licenses and property taxes?

Discounts for Oregon:

Resident Pioneer License

Beginning in 2016, Pioneer Licenses cost $6 annually and include a hunting and angling license and the Columbia River Basin Endorsement (a $9.75 value). Charging this fee allows ODFW to receive federal grant funds generated by excise taxes on hunting and fishing equipment which are based on the state’s number of paid license holders.

To get a pioneer license you must be an Oregon resident for at least six months immediately prior to applying for this license, be 65 years of age or older, and have resided in Oregon for not less than 50 years prior to the date of application.
Resident Disabled Veterans License

To get a resident disabled veterans license you must be an Oregon resident for at least six months immediately prior to applying for this license and that you have a disability rating of at least 25 percent. See application below for more information.
Senior Citizen Licenses (Senior Hunting, Senior Angling, Senior Combination licenses)

To get a reduced-cost Senior Citizen License you must be at least 70 years old and have resided in Oregon for a minimum of five years and consecutively for the last six months. No application is needed and the license can be picked up at any license sales agent or online.

This stuff should all be means-tested. The over 60 bracket has both some of the most well off and some of the least well off folks in the country. No reason limited resources should fund a 60-year-old who retired with millions in their 401k. In turn, I understand that below poverty line fix income folks should get a break - but to assume everyone over a certain age needs a fiscal boost does not jive with the actual economic numbers.

This stuff should all be means-tested. The over 60 bracket has both some of the most well off and some of the least well off folks in the country. No reason limited resources should fund a 60-year-old who retired with millions in their 401k. In turn, I understand that below poverty line fix income folks should get a break - but to assume everyone over a certain age needs a fiscal boost does not jive with the actual economic numbers.
Most retired people are not wealthy, trust me I and my friends are there. I would say 15 maybe 20 % are well off. Pensions are not what they were in the old days. If You didn't save$ yourself and most didn't your on a tight budget. Wages havn't increased much in the last 30 years in comparison to cost of living. You will find out someday...............BOB!

Most retired people are not wealthy, trust me I and my friends are there. I would say 15 maybe 20 % are well off. Pensions are not what they were in the old days. If You didn't save$ yourself and most didn't your on a tight budget. Wages havn't increased much in the last 30 years in comparison to cost of living. You will find out someday...............BOB!

I agree, but savings/wealth is higher in those over 60 than those under 60 as a demographic group, so no reason to subsidized those folks at the expense of a 35-year-old making $15/hr. I am fine subsidizing poor older folks or poor younger folks, it just seems all the "over 60/65" stuff is based on historical presumptions, not present facts.

In Wyoming you get a free small game, upland game, fishing and conservation stamp if you are 65 or over and have lived in Wyoming for 30 years.

ClearCreek

In Wyoming you get a free small game, upland game, fishing and conservation stamp if you are 65 or over and have lived in Wyoming for 30 years.

ClearCreek

Pioneer licenses are really cheap too.

I say anyone that's been supporting the GF as a resident for that long has paid their fair share of the freight, they should be rewarded for that. Many paid their fees throughout their lives when coming up with the money to spend supporting wildlife, hunting, fishing, etc. probably wasn't easy.

Nothing is "free" - if Bob doesn't pay, then Sally pays more. Given our fiscal state of affairs, maybe we should move past an ever-expanding list of preferences and freebies. I don't expect any special age-based treatment when I hit the magic date - I paid my fair share in the past, I pay my share now, I will pay my share then.

Nothing is "free" - if Bob doesn't pay, then Sally pays more. Given our fiscal state of affairs, maybe we should move past an ever-expanding list of preferences and freebies. I don't expect any special age-based treatment when I hit the magic date - I paid my fair share in the past, I pay my share now, I will pay my share then.

What's keeping you from paying more even if you reach the magic age?

You can also pay more right now if you want to, nothing keeping you from donating above and beyond your license fees to any GF department you want.

I pay more than my fair share every year above and beyond what's required. Just did it last week when I purchased my OTC general elk and general deer tags...donation I made to Accessyes was more than the license fees.

I am with this. I retire in 57 days. I will make more in retirement than I do now thanks to 3 different lay-offs that forced me to change career paths. However, none of the retirements I have keep pace with inflation. Eventually the spending power will go down. That is a problem with many 401Ks and other retirements is they don't keep pace with inflation. Social security, state, and my military retirement definitely do not. Retirees get virtually no cost of living increases.

I am with this. I retire in 57 days. I will make more in retirement than I do now thanks to 3 different lay-offs that forced me to change career paths. However, none of the retirements I have keep pace with inflation. Eventually the spending power will go down. That is a problem with many 401Ks and other retirements is they don't keep pace with inflation. Social security, state, and my military retirement definitely do not. Retirees get virtually no cost of living increases.
Not trying to argue that retires have it all bed of roses, but for clarity’s sake, social security is absolutely inflation adjusted - in fact it adjusts with wage inflation, not goods inflation which has exceeded goods inflation over the last 25 years. And 401k funds absolutely can keep up (and often exceed) inflation with prudent management. As for pensions, some rise and some don’t - mine won’t. I have no idea of the prevalence or not of this feature in govt pensions.

Last edited:
Not trying to argue that retires have it all bed of roses, but for clarity’s sake, social security is absolutely inflation adjusted - in fact it adjusts with wage inflation, not goods inflation which has exceeded goods inflation over the last 25 years. And 401k finds absolutely can keep up (and often exceed) inflation with prudent management. As for pensions, some rise and some don’t - mine won’t. I have no idea of the prevalence or not of this feature in govt pensions.
Social security is not. My mom is on that and her last increase was 1.6% which absolutely did not match inflation. I have been watching social security pretty close since I am about to draw it. My military retirement is pegged to inflation almost. I have received a number of increases on it. 0.8% increase in social security is projected for 2021. No way that keeps up with inflation. Inflation rate for 2019 was 1.81% and 2020 is projected to be 0.62%. Once this COVID is over, I look for inflation to soar a bit as companies try to recover losses. Now IF, big IF, if the projections for 2021 are accurate and companies don't immediately raise prices to try to recover losses then for the first time in recent history, you might see social security increases actually outpace inflation.

Last edited:
Agh... why. If we’re going to be handing out free licenses why don’t we do it for the 18 and under crowd. Everyone please remember world owes you nothing.

Social security is not. My mom is on that and her last increase was 1.6% which absolutely did not match inflation. I have been watching social security pretty close since I am about to draw it. My military retirement is pegged to inflation almost. I have received a number of increases on it. 0.8% increase in social security is projected for 2021. No way that keeps up with inflation. Inflation rate for 2019 was 1.81% and 2020 is projected to be 0.62%. Once this COVID is over, I look for inflation to soar a bit as companies try to recover losses. Now IF, big IF, if the projections for 2021 are accurate and companies don't immediately raise prices to try to recover losses then for the first time in recent history, you might see social security increases actually outpace inflation.

You are mistaken about inflation adjustments for SS, but correct the adjustments have been smaller than typical in recent years given historically low inflation rate. There are several calculations for "inflation" but the actual "SS cost of living" (COLA) adjustments track fairly consistent with the most relevant ones. Here is one table from the Social Security Administration website.

1596029134507.png

edit - some additional historical data added:

1596029227561.png

[This post is making me feel like @wllm1313 or @SAJ-99]

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wyohandscold
Back