Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Food for thought

Giving the linked interview a listen. I had heard the TED Talk before. The power of a throwaway joke about Applebee's is amazing.
With the current tribalization of the US I’m going to start forcing my friends to offer a firm stance on the subject that truly matters. Waffle House, IHOP, or Denny’s?

Time to find out what these so called “friends” of mine really stand for.

I’m 100% in the Waffle House camp and anyone who isn’t is an enemy of the state.

Interesting how this thread so far is a perfect summation of what he’s talking about. I’m going to call out you folks who can’t make it past the intro. I agree, the intro sucked. But I listened anyway. It’s a guy, talking about ideas. It is possible to listen, disagree (or maybe agree, who knows?), and survive.

I see myself reflected in some of the criticisms he makes. I also see myself in some of the strengths he points out. I suspect the same will be true for just about everyone who actually listens to what he has to say. I thought he made very honest points about the strengths and weaknesses of both political sides. More interesting were his thoughts on human nature and biases in general. I always find it very enlightening to listen to these talks about tribalism, confirmation bias and unwillingness to listen to ideas from outside your echo chamber, and then read through some threads on this forum.

91A3D5F1-B113-452E-B994-CB6AD2F801E7.jpeg

Interesting how this thread so far is a perfect summation of what he’s talking about. I’m going to call out you folks who can’t make it past the intro. I agree, the intro sucked. But I listened anyway. It’s a guy, talking about ideas. It is possible to listen, disagree (or maybe agree, who knows?), and survive.

I see myself reflected in some of the criticisms he makes. I also see myself in some of the strengths he points out. I suspect the same will be true for just about everyone who actually listens to what he has to say. I thought he made very honest points about the strengths and weaknesses of both political sides. More interesting were his thoughts on human nature and biases in general. I always find it very enlightening to listen to these talks about tribalism, confirmation bias and unwillingness to listen to ideas from outside your echo chamber, and then read through some threads on this forum.

View attachment 239822
When does it turn to cheese? mtmuley

I did some analytic work in a past life and we had heuristic avoidance burned into our brains. Not sure critical thinking is part of the broader syllabus of life these days.

TLDR:

View attachment 239815
Maybe I need to view this on my computer... The most I could make from this phone view, attempt to zoom in, was blurred, EXCEPT for the "24 cognitive biases stuffing up your thinking"...

Hmmm, blurred biases - maybe there's something to this after all!

Maybe I need to view this on my computer... The most I could make from this phone view, attempt to zoom in, was blurred, EXCEPT for the "24 cognitive biases stuffing up your thinking"...

Hmmm, blurred biases - maybe there's something to this after all!
I just copied and pasted from my phone. Something probably got lost en route. Punch that title in the search engine of your choice and you can probably find a clearer copy.

Though I do think you’re onto an unintentional meaning of the blurred biases there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrGeauxNewMexico
Back