Caribou Gear

Food for thought

You proved one of his points very well thank you. Save yourself the trouble of thinking and just find the first criticism you can and dismiss the entire discussion/concept with no actual effort, insight or god forbid tiny question about your pre-conditioned biases.
You're assuming I didn't listen to it. I told you I read one of his books and liked it. If you were a trial lawyer, would your opening argument insult half the jury pool?

Anyway, back to hunting stuff. And smoking.

Trying some boneless pork butts.

1663419767912.jpeg

Thanks for that deep and instructive addition to the discussion.

How about "don't be an asshole". Don't tell people to f___ off in your own thread if they don't feel the need to watch a video to learn the first sentence in this post. That's deep enough for a start, and covers almost all the bases. (y)

I do find it interesting that the same 5 or 6 guys work to derail every thread and every topic. Very impressive.

You're assuming I didn't listen to it. I told you I read one of his books and liked it. If you were a trial lawyer, would your opening argument insult half the jury pool?

Anyway, back to hunting stuff. And smoking.

Trying some boneless pork butts.

View attachment 239842
Try to read my actual words. I did not assume you had not watched or otherwise consumed. But congrats on your hard work at internet mis-direction.

So you do you, but if your fight or flight response kicked in the first five minutes maybe it is time to step back...
VG, fight or flight? Hah! An author or heck, a motivational speaker needs to hook and maintain his/her audience.
That is the cornerstone of success and failure.

Best to ya.

VG, fight or flight? Hah! An author or heck, a motivational speaker needs to hook and maintain his/her audience.
That is the cornerstone of success and failure.

Best to ya.
We do agree on one thing. As a fundraiser, entertaining or partisan whip, Haidt sucks. But he isn’t trying to be any of those - and I think we need more like that.

Ezra Klein, Haidt, Arthur Brooks (of AEI not be actor), Charles Murray and a few others spanning left, right and center keep pointing out the clear failing of our current democracy - our choice of unwavering support of tribe, lack of intellectual humility and insistent portrait of the “other” as evil. But all it seems to come to is that both side hate them and ignore them.

I have shared Haidt’s approach with a number of audiences over the years and the outcome is fairly consistent. In liberal echo chambers they hate him for suggesting that some “conservative” values/ideas have merit and need to be addressed - how dare he break ranks in such a way. In “conservative” echo chambers they dismiss him as a liberal academic hack who fails to see the evil from the “left”. What gets interesting is when I have shared in “mixed audiences”. Here the “conservatives” jump on him right out of the box and it is followed by a number of the “liberals” supporting him as having fair points.

I have a fairly liberal buddy who just hated Haidt when we discussed in a primarily liberal setting, but found some value in his thoughts at a later “mixed” discussion. I later asked what caused him to change his position. After he paused he offered, “I would like to say it came from some new argument or understanding the second time, but if I am honest it was because if those “conservatives” thought he was horrible, I must have missed something and he probably had some good points.”

And that is the point of the OP. Whether non-re/res, outfitter/public land hunter, etc there are very few who are actually evil, and most are well intentioned folks who need to understand how they are pre-wired to dismiss the “other”, how this pre-wiring is being abused by social media and the political parties and set their preconceived notions aside once in a while and take a little extra time to see both sides and work towards common ground AND compromise.

Last edited:
No. I like making fun of Perkins too. I really enjoyed Fargo for their subtle digs at North midwest culture. I thought your link was a silly waste of time that's all. Can't like everything.
Great movie - humor is one great way to share a perspective, but some discussions require more.

Holy S$&7 boys, it’s hunting season. Save the bickering for the off season.

Just turn into a hermit like me. Turn off the news. (It’s all garbage no matter what political lean) do what ever you want that makes you and your family happy, and don’t give a rats ass what others think.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back