Caribou Gear Tarp

FLIP FLOP DAN.... A must read for all ol' timer HuntTalkers

Moosie

Grand poopa
OK, Let's roll the time back a few years. There was a guy that was out hunting sheep when T-Bone and me were hunting sheep. You guys remember that ? He killed a BigHorn sheep in Flip Flops.

Now, after spending 10 days hiking dozens of miles and killer vertical feet I busted this guys chops "a little" when I found out he was driving down a road, hopped out in Flip Flops and Smokes a sheep. He then changed into boots for the pictures and posted it on the net.

After that we put on Hunting picture contests and every where I went I packed in Flip Flops. Remember all that ? Brown bear in Alaska, Bi Bulll in Utah..... there were Antelopes Stalking pictures, the works. Guys all over the country were talking Flip Flop pictures.

We might have gone a little over board.... but its truly Badd@$$. Who kills a bighorn sheep in Flip flops right ?

So fast forward a half dozen years of so to last year.I flew into the Back country with a Friend of mine. We put together a float in crazy rough waters. Vertical canyons and just over all Vertical Sheep country. My buddy got his sheep. I wasn't on HT last year but hopefully he posted the story ?!??!? If not I'll follow with some pictures.

So we get out of the back country and take the boat out of the water. We're waiting for our ride and unpacking grear. Well 2 guys drive by and stop and chat. They say they are hunting sheep as well. There is about 4 different sheep units in that area. Ones a local Idaho guy and ones from Florida hunting with him. They said they saw a sheep there are going after and after a bit hit the road again and said they would be back.

My buddy picks up the Bino's and 300 yards up the hill was a ram. Freaking Amazing. Well these guys drove back and we show them the sheep from the road. We started talking (I was wearing Hunttalk hat and all). And I asked if he heard of the site and if he knows BigFin or Randy. He was familiar with the site so I told him I used to own it.

He said 'YOU'RE MOOSIE?!?!" then the Guy from Florida said "YOU ARE THE MOOSIE ?!?!?"

Now, back in the day I kicked a lot of guys in their nads. I might have started a "little" controversy here and there, and I've been called out in several states and random locations. (Legend in my own mind). You all know this site wouldn't be this big if I didn't "water it". But I was like, "YAh, I'm Moosie...."

The Idaho guy said... "I'm Flip Flop DAN. The guy that killed the sheep in flip flops, you sun of a Beotch".

Holey Chit, right ? What are the odds of running into a guy on a back country road and it being 2 random guys and one out of state and they both know me ? Well 100% are the odds I guess.....

I wasn't sure if he was going to knock me the Eff' out or not but I told him what a stud he was. Cuz seriously, who can say they killed a BigHorn, let a lone one in Flip Flops, right ? I did apologize for taking it to the next level back then. He took it like a Champ though.

We talked hunting for a long time and he is a die hard hunter. I have to give him props for that. Long time Archery guy and as solid and dedicated as they come. He sells hunting optics, has an online hunting store and hunting runs deep in his veins. A guy I wouldn't hesitate to share camp with.

Don't think Dans Bigger then me and I'm saying nice things because I'm scared or feel bad, because those were great times, right ? You know I have no problem calling a spade a spade. But I wanted to publicly say that I got to meet the Famous Flip Flop Dan and he's a great guy.

I've met and hunted with a lot of the great hunters.... Greenhorn, Buzz, Cameron Haynes, IDBugler, Big Fin... OK, Big Fin is just an "OK" hunter ;) But having met Flip Flop Dan was probably one the the most special meets I've ever done in my hunting career.

Sorry it took so long to post my story but I did want to share it with you guys. Below is a picture of him and me holding up our Hunting Footwear ;) Give us a Throw back picture if you have any hunting pictures with Flip flops !!!!

Attachments

• Idaho Sheep 2013 089.JPG
    Idaho Sheep 2013 089.JPG
    266.1 KB · Views: 1,068
Never a dull moment when Moosie is in the area. Funny stuff.

P.S. I still think he could put knots on your head faster than you could rub 'em.

Fantastic how the stars align! I was overseas at an event where only a few people spoke English. I end up tossing back a drink at one of the tables and a guy introduces himself. He lives in the States. In California. In the Bay area. Well, so does my Uncle. Where? San Mateo. Me, too. Where...turns out they live across the street and my Uncle had bought something at his yard sale the prior weekend. Was not camo flip flops that he bought but that would have been even better.

Stay safe out there.

Randy, if I got $1 from everyone that wanted to Whoop my trash in my lifetime I'd of retired years ago witha pile of money....... On the other side of the coin, If I got only $.01 for every person I've helped in some way of another, connected to a good hunting source, or gave them a smile on a day that they weren't feeling like smiling, I'd be even richer. Even my "haters" couldn't argue that.

....And that's a FACT JACK !

Sorry I haven't been around. I'll put together some stories this year and post them. You're a great man B.F. !!!

I remember fuzzy pink flip flops, but I thought that was just for when you were with Browtine... ;)

Is that on the Shoup road?

I saw bighorns from the road around Salmon this summer and thought of Flip Flop Dan. HeHe.

JLS, that ram laying on the rock was the one I spotted from the road. They said they wanted to wait for him to come down to the road and shoot him with a bow. He just laid there and watched us. I even went as far as to offer Florida Mike my rifle to shoot that ram in his bed, but he really wanted to do it with his bow.

P.S. the title of his thread "18 days of pain" should probably read "18 tanks of gas"

Last edited:
Yah, We could have backed the truck up to the cliff and about lined it up so when it fell it would have landed in the truck.

Thanks! One of my favoritest drives. Very neat country.

I've even managed to get down there! Not as far as the bridge I don't think, been a while and the brain don't remember things so good, but it IS a nice drive. Stopped at the Shoup store for a Huckleberry shake. Love those old gas pumps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back