Yeti GOBOX Collection

First Post First Special Tag - Please Help

Someone has to do it.😁
Please sent exact coordinates of where I can kill the critter I have applied years for but don’t know anything about the unit.

I will act totally appreciative but probably won’t update you guys with pictures.
Thanks in advance.
Chupacabra?

Does anyone here have an opinion of what caliber I should use for a deer hunt? My grandpappy swears by the .30-30 Model 94 shooting round nose using iron sights because they never will fog up and he kills a buck most years. My daddy papa says the .308 shooting boattails with a scoped Winchester rifle is the answer and he kills a buck most years. My nephew says I should get the 6.5-184 Norma custom loads through Best of the West custom rifle build using Huskemaw optics and he kills a buck most years. I will be hunting down in Texas near a corn-flinger for 250 pound whitetail bucks, if that factors into this. A rifle that doubles to shoot feral hogs would be a plus.

Does anyone here have an opinion of what caliber I should use for a deer hunt? My grandpappy swears by the .30-30 Model 94 shooting round nose using iron sights because they never will fog up and he kills a buck most years. My daddy papa says the .308 shooting boattails with a scoped Winchester rifle is the answer and he kills a buck most years. My nephew says I should get the 6.5-184 Norma custom loads through Best of the West custom rifle build using Huskemaw optics and he kills a buck most years. I will be hunting down in Texas near a corn-flinger for 250 pound whitetail bucks, if that factors into this. A rifle that doubles to shoot feral hogs would be a plus.

250lbs is pretty big, you better recommend using a RUM. A .375 270 grain solid should be enough.

FNG from Georgia here! My best friend and I scored Idaho Middle Fork elk B tags back in December and we are jacked to be making our first Western hunting trip. We went ahead and each got deer tags, two bear tags, two mountain lion tags, and five wolf tags. I admit we might have gone a little overboard on the tags but better to be safe than sorry.

Our plan is to drop the rental car off somewhere downriver from North Fork near the end of the road, Uber to Salmon, and then fly in to one of the air strips along Big Creek on September 13. Season opens September 15, so that will give us a day to get a feel for the land. It looks like it will be about 20 miles to the car based on GoogleEarth. The first guy to down an animal will pack it to the car, probably at least two trips, while the other tries to fill his tagsWe are excited to get some meat on our backs because we have always drug deer, if they didn’t drop where we could drive.

We are just going to hunt from our packs, working our way towards the car a little each day. Since we are at the end of summer/beginning of fall, we hope the river is low enough to wade. If not, we can float across on our Therm-a-Rests. We have been practicing that at the YMCA pool, as Plan B, and it seems pretty stable.

For those of you that have hunted that part of the Frank Church, do you have any suggestions about spots we should concentrate on along our route? Also, I discovered that Idaho has a 16 pound weight limit for rifles. My 300 PRC is just a hair over that at 16 pounds, 10 ounces, suppressed. Since I am under 17 pounds, will I be ok? If not, how strict are the game wardens at enforcing that weight limit? I suppose I could keep the suppressor in my pack in case I was checked. One last thing, since I plan on doing a semi-live hunt log on this forum, how is the cell service in that area?

Thanks!

FNG from Georgia here! My best friend and I scored Idaho Middle Fork elk B tags back in December and we are jacked to be making our first Western hunting trip. We went ahead and each got deer tags, two bear tags, two mountain lion tags, and five wolf tags. I admit we might have gone a little overboard on the tags but better to be safe than sorry.

Our plan is to drop the rental car off somewhere downriver from North Fork near the end of the road, Uber to Salmon, and then fly in to one of the air strips along Big Creek on September 13. Season opens September 15, so that will give us a day to get a feel for the land. It looks like it will be about 20 miles to the car based on GoogleEarth. The first guy to down an animal will pack it to the car, probably at least two trips, while the other tries to fill his tagsWe are excited to get some meat on our backs because we have always drug deer, if they didn’t drop where we could drive.

We are just going to hunt from our packs, working our way towards the car a little each day. Since we are at the end of summer/beginning of fall, we hope the river is low enough to wade. If not, we can float across on our Therm-a-Rests. We have been practicing that at the YMCA pool, as Plan B, and it seems pretty stable.

For those of you that have hunted that part of the Frank Church, do you have any suggestions about spots we should concentrate on along our route? Also, I discovered that Idaho has a 16 pound weight limit for rifles. My 300 PRC is just a hair over that at 16 pounds, 10 ounces, suppressed. Since I am under 17 pounds, will I be ok? If not, how strict are the game wardens at enforcing that weight limit? I suppose I could keep the suppressor in my pack in case I was checked. One last thing, since I plan on doing a semi-live hunt log on this forum, how is the cell service in that area?

Thanks!
Bravo, well done.

Thanks!
Was that where your coordinates were for? I spent two summers building a cabin/ house down on the South Fork about 20 miles past Warren. I would never want to shoot an elk in that country.

A mule deer hunt would have some appeal but I think you have to be a special kind of crazy to shoot a bull in there.

Even the chuckars had to stop and rest when they tried to run uphill.

Thanks!
This is is one of the best posts yet. This is exactly what I said would happen back in December when I saw all the Middle Fork tags sell out.

Don't forget the new guys bringing up cold posts from 2015 that were written by a new guy in 2015 who had drawn the same unit as them. Then a bunch of new dudes just keep commenting shyte like "following" or "Hey @hardcoreextremeelkhunter, how did your hunt go?".

Plot twist, @hardcoreextremeelkhunter hasn't logged on since 2015 and is, in fact, not a hardcore extreme elk hunter.
But he had a Rayzr.
Anyone remember that guy?

Thanks!

Therm-a-Rest? That gun is to heavy for a Therm-a-Rest! These boys will need the inside track on how the Idaho boys do things....Queen sized airbed from Walmart!!!

EB08EA04-A060-47C9-B51D-F0D52BCB17AC.jpg

:LOL:(y) Loved it

Hate to be a pest here. Does anyone have an opinion of which camo I should invest in for the deer hunt? I did some research and for the part of Texas I will be hunting there seem to be 3 camo patterns that are very effective. I only want to invest in one pattern and hope to one day venture to other states out West. My wife would kill me if I show up with too much camo. Now, here is what my research shows. 3-strand on blue background is the granddaddy that started the Texas camo revolution as blends well if the deer gaze up towards the elevated shooting shed but seems the diamond strand with lawn background is the top-seller in recent years though the square mesh on white is touted to be the up and comer. Any guidance? Thanks in advance!

Camo 3 strand.jpg

Camo diamond.jpg

Camo square mesh.jpg

Need a greatest hits thread...

Hey everybody! I got lucky and pulled my breaks rifle permit with 12 points for 410. Even cooler is that I drew it with my two good hunting buddies as a party. We are pretty fired up about it and hopeful to see some photos of what any of you guys and gals have taken with that tag or if you have any other advice you are willing to share. I have spent plenty of time in the breaks in the spring and during a few archery hunts so I am well aware of the gumbo!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back