Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

First Post First Special Tag - Please Help

Hate to be a pest here. Does anyone have an opinion of which camo I should invest in for the deer hunt? I did some research and for the part of Texas I will be hunting there seem to be 3 camo patterns that are very effective. I only want to invest in one pattern and hope to one day venture to other states out West. My wife would kill me if I show up with too much camo. Now, here is what my research shows. 3-strand on blue background is the granddaddy that started the Texas camo revolution as blends well if the deer gaze up towards the elevated shooting shed but seems the diamond strand with lawn background is the top-seller in recent years though the square mesh on white is touted to be the up and comer. Any guidance? Thanks in advance!

View attachment 183317

View attachment 183318

View attachment 183319
I’d go with the Realtree High Fence HD ® on that one.

Hate to be a pest here. Does anyone have an opinion of which camo I should invest in for the deer hunt? I did some research and for the part of Texas I will be hunting there seem to be 3 camo patterns that are very effective. I only want to invest in one pattern and hope to one day venture to other states out West. My wife would kill me if I show up with too much camo. Now, here is what my research shows. 3-strand on blue background is the granddaddy that started the Texas camo revolution as blends well if the deer gaze up towards the elevated shooting shed but seems the diamond strand with lawn background is the top-seller in recent years though the square mesh on white is touted to be the up and comer. Any guidance? Thanks in advance!

View attachment 183317

View attachment 183318

View attachment 183319

another one for the 2021 greatest hits edition

Drew this tag for 2021. New member
here, but read this thread a few times when putting in for tags over the years. Anyone have any new info to share? Thanks
!
If you are going to try this approach, make sure to resurrect a post that has not had any activity for at least 5 years. That way, you can get historical data.

Here’s a ram I Chevy scouted today. When I get my guaranteed yearly ram tag from the next MT legislative session (because no one is more deserving of a guaranteed ram tag than me), I will be coming back to see which rifle caliber is best for road hunting.View attachment 183152
There are things that look better when wet--I can't say that those rams fit the bill.

6.5 CM=Chevy Made?
That’s not where I was going but I could see how you might have thought that. I was leaning more towards a road hunter would be the type that would be trying to kill something quick and get a photo on Instagram for likes and popularity and there is no caliber more popular in the hashtag and instafamous world than the 6.5 CM.

That’s not where I was going but I could see how you might have thought that. I was leaning more towards a road hunter would be the type that would be trying to kill something quick and get a photo on Instagram for likes and popularity and there is no caliber more popular in the hashtag and instafamous world than the 6.5 CM.
I am a sarcastic SOB!

Drew a breaks tag with 19 points. Lived in Havre my whole life, but have never been to the breaks. Won’t have time to scout because my kid has swimming lessons and I need to hold the decoy for my wife’s archery antelope hunt in August.
Hoping to find someone with a jet boat that knows how to judge rams that might want to tag alone. I’ll buy the jetboat fuel.

Drew a breaks tag with 19 points. Lived in Havre my whole life, but have never been to the breaks. Won’t have time to scout because my kid has swimming lessons and I need to hold the decoy for my wife’s archery antelope hunt in August.
Hoping to find someone with a jet boat that knows how to judge rams that might want to tag alone. I’ll buy the jetboat fuel.
Unrealistic. An offer to buy beer and a burger at the end would be legitimate. Who is thoughtful enough to buy the fuel?

Got the jet boat, I can fit you in some time between 1430-1700 after the lawn jarts tourney. Bring potato salad.

I finally got around to checking the Montana draw results (that's how busy I am) and I finally drew my Montana sheep tag, unit 300!!! Of course I have never been there and I won't time time to scout. My 4 year old son might let me borrow his Fisher-Price tent, I think it'll work as a 3+ season and its mega light. Please send me coordinates of all sightings (with time and date stamp of course) for the last 10 years. Thanks in advance! As payment, I'll be sure to write up a post hunt recap on this public website for all the world to see!

I finally got around to checking the Montana draw results (that's how busy I am) and I finally drew my Montana sheep tag, unit 300!!! Of course I have never been there and I won't time time to scout. My 4 year old son might let me borrow his Fisher-Price tent, I think it'll work as a 3+ season and its mega light. Please send me coordinates of all sightings (with time and date stamp of course) for the last 10 years. Thanks in advance! As payment, I'll be sure to write up a post hunt recap on this public website for all the world to see!
Still hunt thick creek bottoms and dark north facing timber anywhere in Tom Miner basin, preferably within the last half hour of shooting light. You’re almost guaranteed to have some excitement.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back