Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Fine Firearms

This is another shotgun that Steven Dodd Hughes wrote about. Not as nice as the Daw, but still quite innovative in it's own right. It is a Burgess wrist/slide action takedown 12 gauge, made in the 1890's...

BurgessShotgunarticlea_zpsc453314b.jpg

BurgessShotgunarticleb_zpsafd41181.jpg

That shotgun represents some of the best of the British double manufacturing in the 19th century. I didn't even know it until Steven borrowed the gun for the article, but there were 2 spare firing pins and an ejector serial numbered to the gun, under the buttplate.

You have to remove the screws or does the piece of wood in the middle slide out?

I got a bitchin' set of Snap-On screwdrivers if you need to borrow one.

Travis

What is a Saiga anyway? Like an AK shotgun?

Travis

To some, a work of art. I got one for my son as a gag, but when he shot it at flushing grouse, I saw how well it worked and got one for myself...

DSCN2028.jpg

I shoot grouse well before they flush so that is of no use to me.

It is cool looking though. Do they still make them?

Travis

I will go contrarian. I am about accuracy and reliability. Wood swells in moist air. I feel I have to baby a wood stock in the thick brush. I cringe with each tumble on a steep mountainside when I have wooden stocks.

I love how wood feels. The look. But is not as durable. Does not absorb recoil as well.

I used to have access to a Win Mod 59 shotgun. Had a fiberglass barrel. I was youngest of 4 hunters so often that was the only shotgun I could use the first couple of years I hunted ducks. Not much to look at but was a killing machine. Loved the balance of the gun, the fit, and while I got a Win Model 12 for duck hunting after made some money mowing lawns and I loved the reliability of a pump action in freezing, nasty weather....the 59 is like the girlfriend that moved away during high school. Flawless and gets better with each sighing memory.

I have had a couple of rifles made. I always go fiberglass and have a speckled finish on the stock so blends into high country mountains and open grasslands. No engraving. But very accurate and each bit or wear or scratch makes those guns even more endearing to me. If I instead had bought a very nice near mint Win Mod 70 and hunted with that rifle the past several hunts then I would feel conflicted at knowing what the gun once looked like before I ventured into the mountains.

I appreciate the fantastic burl wood and engraving on some of your guns. I just know how tough my hunts are on gear including guns. I want durable and reliable and pick that over burl every day and twice on Sundays.

I have taken most of these guns in rough country, but I am still careful. This is a Browning B-78 in 25-06 on a goat hunt. As you know, goats don't live in easy to get to places...

scan0003.jpg

scan0004.jpg

I have taken most of these guns in rough country, but I am still careful. This is a Browning B-78 in 25-06 on a goat hunt. As you know, goats don't live in easy to get to places...

What state were you lucky enough to kill that goat in?

I will go contrarian. I am about accuracy and reliability. Wood swells in moist air. I feel I have to baby a wood stock in the thick brush. I cringe with each tumble on a steep mountainside when I have wooden stocks.

I love how wood feels. The look. But is not as durable. Does not absorb recoil as well.

I used to have access to a Win Mod 59 shotgun. Had a fiberglass barrel. I was youngest of 4 hunters so often that was the only shotgun I could use the first couple of years I hunted ducks. Not much to look at but was a killing machine. Loved the balance of the gun, the fit, and while I got a Win Model 12 for duck hunting after made some money mowing lawns and I loved the reliability of a pump action in freezing, nasty weather....the 59 is like the girlfriend that moved away during high school. Flawless and gets better with each sighing memory.

I have had a couple of rifles made. I always go fiberglass and have a speckled finish on the stock so blends into high country mountains and open grasslands. No engraving. But very accurate and each bit or wear or scratch makes those guns even more endearing to me. If I instead had bought a very nice near mint Win Mod 70 and hunted with that rifle the past several hunts then I would feel conflicted at knowing what the gun once looked like before I ventured into the mountains.

I appreciate the fantastic burl wood and engraving on some of your guns. I just know how tough my hunts are on gear including guns. I want durable and reliable and pick that over burl every day and twice on Sundays.

I've seen some firearms I would consider fine that had fiberglass/kevlar/synthetic stocks. It's mostly about the craftsmanship that goes into a firearm, for me.

My model 70 is in dire need of a refinishing on the stock. It's beaten, bruised and the belly is worn from sweat. It still dumps 165's into a .30" group at 100 yards though. ;)

And blue jeans to boot.

Have been on two goat hunts and cotton would be death there. Maybe the wet, rotting vegetation on the steep slopes prevented me being careful as the rocks gave way several times and would slip, slide and even tumble. Only a hard-sided case would have protected a nice gun there. My scope got a gash, the crown of my rifle got dinged and my leg got gashed and lost the meat of knuckles of hands. Maybe I am just clumsy.

Cool shooting irons guys.....

Been getting 3 rifles ready for my bull tag next week.....gave me reason to look at rifles I've squirreled away.

I love a good Remington 700, but when compared side by side with an old timey FN, there is no comparison. I sold the one FN 308 Norma yesterday....considering selling one more, but my mind is not clear on this one.

It's a blast from the past 1950's rifle making in Belgium. JC Higgins model 50 30-06. Complete with JC Higgins 4x scope and plastic butt plate. It is one cool rifle.

I've also always admired the Browning FN Safari rifles. Beauties!

scan0003.jpg

scan0004.jpg

Fairy Lake trailhead? You could wear flip flops to kill a goat.

Back