Fine Firearms

T Bone,

Those JC Higgins FN's are one of the best values out there for Mauser 98's. Nice one!

I prefer the rifles that take a licking and keep on ticking, scars are attractive on guns.

Montana. I have been lucky when it comes to killing. The goat is 9 inches, good sized for that part of Montana...

Wow! 9 inches is a big goat. What part of MT? No hunter orange required back in the day?

Beautiful gun. Great to see the old timers out in the field. I love old doubles and mauser rifles. Taste and styles have changed, and modern materials are better, but the hunting double and bolt action rifle were perfected about 100 yrs ago. Look at a factory mauser oberndorf type A with claw mounts or a classic german or British double and not much has changed when compared to a lot of modern custom guns.

No telling how many miles this little Ithaca 20 ga has been carried. It's a little over 100 yrs old and it still does what it was made to do, kill anything my dogs point. At 5 3/4 lbs it's far from clunky or cumbersome.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    207.9 KB · Views: 298
Most of my fine rifles and shotguns sport scars. My ugly synthetic stocked 7 mag has a hideous wear mark through the finish on the underside of the stock from being carried against the side of my body for countless miles. My 16 gauge SxS has a giant gouge out of the buttstock from a collision with a scree slope suffered on it's maiden voyage into the high country.
I have a fine new Ruger #1 7x57 that is badly in need some character marks.
Shoulda bought that Browning B78 .25-06 when I had a chance. One I regret not picking up when I could have....I'da scarred the hell out of that one.........

Sako Deluxe and Caribou, 200 miles from Anchorage...

scan0011-1.jpg

I have a 1904 Ithaca Lewis 16gauge double that was unfortunately refinished in the 80s...I got into a bidding war and ended up with a gun worth about 1/2 what I paid. It needs a gunsmith to fix the problems but I do plan on hunting with it when I get around to having it fixed

Back