Fine Firearms

That shotgun represents some of the best of the British double manufacturing in the 19th century. I didn't even know it until Steven borrowed the gun for the article, but there were 2 spare firing pins and an ejector serial numbered to the gun, under the buttplate.

The down side of these fine guns is that there is a group of snobbish people that collect and shoot these guns. They would never consider shooting steel in these old guns. I don't shoot steel in mine as I only use it for Cowboy Action Shooting and upland bird hunting in good conditions...

100_0171_zps309788cc.jpg

I see the appeal in always having dry kindling like that with you while in the woods.

Attachments

• 1919_atl.jpg
    1919_atl.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 249
Last edited:
Can steel be shot from these? I would doubt it.

No need to shoot steel with Tungsten and other non-toxics around. The price is high for the non-toxics, but it's also a good excuse for a Benelli SBE. :)

Another fun gun:

Circa 1931 Guild (Probably a J.P. Sauer & Sohn) Drilling in 16x16/8mm Rimmed. She's hammered a sharpie this year, and a white tail doe 3-4 years back.

DSC_0015 (2) by Ben Lamb, on Flickr

Last edited:
No need to shoot steel with Tungsten and other non-toxics around. The price is high for the non-toxics, but it's also a good excuse for a Benelli SBE. :)

Another fun gun:

Circa 1931 Guild (Probably a J.P. Sauer & Sohn) Drilling in 16x16/8mm Rimmed. She's hammered a sharpie this year, and a white tail doe 3-4 years back.

DSC_0015 (2) by Ben Lamb, on Flickr

How much did that gun cost in 1931 dollars?

How much did that gun cost in 1931 dollars?

Don't know, but I wouldn't call it a "Fine Firearm" by traditional standards either. It's not highly engraved and it has an inexpensive chrome finish on the receiver as well as bearing no maker's mark, so it was probably made up for a retailer who never took delivery.

It's modern value is roughly that of a Kimber 84L w/ select wood & a nice Vx6 on it.

So it was only affordable to the upper crust who hunted for recreation?

Snobbery and elitism doesn't impress me. How people hunt, does impress me.

These guns were never meant to be utilitarian, just as a contemporary tikka or remchester isn't meant to be a fine specimen. This whole argument is completely absurd.

A 100+ year old weapon that was affordable to the common man of the time, which these were not, was a tool.

So Shrap, how about a pic of your AR 15? Doesn't that have plastic in it? Your saiga? CX4's?
What about your new dodge truck? Your plymoth cruiser? How much plastic is in those?

Why aren't you hunting in your GTO?

So it was only affordable to the upper crust who hunted for recreation?

Snobbery and elitism doesn't impress me. How people hunt, does impress me.

These guns were never meant to be utilitarian, just as a contemporary tikka or remchester isn't meant to be a fine specimen. This whole argument is completely absurd.

A 100+ year old weapon that was affordable to the common man of the time, which these were not, was a tool.

I don't care what you hunt with either. No elitism or snobbery on my end. All that matters is that folks get out and hunt. Agreed.

As for fine firearms, you are correct - most people couldn't afford the luxury of hunting in Germany or Britian. Luckily for us, Americans can, and since a number of these firearms came over during western expansion (like the Charles Daly 10 gauge sitting a friends' gun room whose great grandfather brought it over in the late 1880's and hunted it hard) or they were WWII bring back 1888 Haenel I have that was made for rich folks chasing Mouflon and Chamois in the Alps, it doesn't really matter to me. What matters is that they are fine examples of a craft, and that after 100 plus years, they still work like they were supposed too.

I've got an H&R Topper 410 in my safe, and a few others that certainly have little value outside of my own memories and fondness. I even have some plastic pistols/rifles/shotguns that have their place, but the elitism being shown here is from folks who simply dismiss a great gun because they can't afford it, or see no use for it.

Hunt with whatever you can, whenever you can and don't worry about what the other dude is doing.

A couple of "non-utilitarian" Germans hanging around. The Mauser has a pile of whitetail to it's credit and many miles looking for muley's & elk. Still trying to find that magic load for the Haenel.

560641_3675262290836_1535837166_n.jpg

There really is no argument, the thread says "Fine Guns" not utilitarian guns. Maybe we could start one on black/stainless guns and you could post accordingly...

Just don't expect any snobbery or elitism from me. I don't have to impress anyone, nor do I want or desire acceptance from those who exhibit those traits. I have my own needs, and fail to see the need to pass judgement on others for what they carry in the field, or how they dress. Or what car they drive.

I thought I left that kind of behavior back in L.A.

Last edited:
For Rancho and others, I do have a few utility guns and abuse them accordingly...

100_0760.jpg

DSCN2021.jpg

122_3299.jpg

Alright, since I will not be the first to post a gun that is not a fine old speciman, here is my beloved 390:

deerhunting2014008_zps930bb7d1.jpg

DeadDeer3.jpg

iphone%20including%20elk%20hunt%202015%20452_zpscibr4suz.jpg

And for the record, I hate that last picture. It was unloaded, but the action was closed. I try to never have a closed action when unloaded. Poor picture on my part. I will have to get another this weekend.

Just don't expect any snobbery or elitism from me. I don't have to impress anyone, nor do I want or desire acceptance from those who exhibit those traits. I have my own needs, and fail to see the need to pass judgement on others for what they carry in the field, or how they dress. Or what car they drive.

I thought I left that kind of behavior back in L.A.

There are assholes in every state of the Union.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mowglimadness
Back