MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Fine Firearms

Your Daw is gorgeous. What's the weight?

These guns do hunt. The Daw is 7 pounds with 28 inch barrels, the Webley is 7 pounds with 30 inch barrels and the Westley Richards is 12 1/2 pounds with 32 inch barrels...

Turkeys2014c.jpg

114_2091.jpg

109_0911.jpg

How anyone could pass up wood like that for plastic, escapes me...

If I carried that wood around the hills for a couple seasons, fine firearm lovers such as yourself would be wishing it had been plastic.

If I carried that wood around the hills for a couple seasons, fine firearm lovers such as yourself would be wishing it had been plastic.

My dad warned me about people like you that could break an anvil...

I reread my original post and I hope I didnt come off wrong, I was sincere in asking about the love of classic guns.. I just have not had the opportunity to fondle any well made old guns and from my very limited viewpoint, the ones I have seen have not lived up to today's standards. I have no doubt they will take game now as they did when made. I guess one question I still have is how do they really stack up against a quality gun of today? From a strictly usage standpoint, how would an old shotgun compare to the Beretta and Benelli autos or the Beretta or Browning O/Us of today? Do they balance as nice? Seems like from what was posted the weight was about the same. Do they perform as well (many/most of the high end auto's don't jam ever)? I suppose one difference is choke tubes, although they could be installed (did I just commit a cardinal sin by suggesting choke tubes be installed in a classic?????:confused:). If not, can they shoot steel?

Then on to rifles. I would think they would be closer to today's rifles than the shotguns (just a feeling). Glass has undergone some serious improvements, but rifles probably not had dramatic improvements?

Someday I hope to shoulder a truly classic firearm and see for myself. Until then, thanks for sharing your thoughts and examples of some beautiful guns!

Originally posted by Shrapnel

114_2091.jpg

By the way, I love the Kromer and I believe the Filson vest. I have chosen green as my colors, but wear the same thing a lot. Although I must admit, and you will ridicule me no doubt, but I have really come to like the warmth and light weight of Primaloft (think of those puffy jackets you see around on soccer moms).

Last edited:
How anyone could pass up wood like that for plastic, escapes me...
I used to feel that way, now I carry a kevlar stocked stainelss rifel and I would never go back. I love wood - if i am not in the hills carrying my rifle there is a good chance I am working in the shop with wood - but I have come to the sacrilegious conclusion that wood is for furniture. I love the look and feel of classic guns but my hunting rifle is first and foremost a tool - and like any tool, function outweighs form every time. I not saying tools have to be cheaply made and ugly but I do judge them how they perform not how they look, and there is no argument that synthetic/stainless performs better with less maintenance than wood/blued.

I reread my original post and I hope I didnt come off wrong, I was sincere in asking about the love of classic guns.. I just have not had the opportunity to fondle any well made old guns and from my very limited viewpoint, the ones I have seen have not lived up to today's standards. I have no doubt they will take game now as they did when made. I guess one question I still have is how do they really stack up against a quality gun of today? From a strictly usage standpoint, how would an old shotgun compare to the Beretta and Benelli autos or the Beretta or Browning O/Us of today? Do they balance as nice? Seems like from what was posted the weight was about the same. Do they perform as well (many/most of the high end auto's don't jam ever)? I suppose one difference is choke tubes, although they could be installed (did I just commit a cardinal sin by suggesting choke tubes be installed in a classic?????:confused:). If not, can they shoot steel?

Then on to rifles. I would think they would be closer to today's rifles than the shotguns (just a feeling). Glass has undergone some serious improvements, but rifles probably not had dramatic improvements?

Someday I hope to shoulder a truly classic firearm and see for myself. Until then, thanks for sharing your thoughts and examples of some beautiful guns!

Take a good look at this shotgun. It was made in 1868. That wood is original, the fit and finish of the entire gun is perfect. This was all done by hand. The gun still only weighs 7 pounds with external hammers and 28 inch barrels. It fits the shooter as well as any gun you would buy today.

If it wasn't a well made gun, it wouldn't have survived all these years. I doubt you will be reading about those qualities of a stainless/plastic gun when it is 150 years old...

100_0175_zps04d3fa5c.jpg

100_0162_zps40bcd486.jpg

100_0171_zps309788cc.jpg

DSCN1391.jpg

I doubt there will be many collectors in the next few generations talking about the nice plastic stocked stainless steel, soulless guns they have. I love guns for the reasons that aren't apparent in gun manufacturing in the recent years.

Who can get excited for a Ruger American which is just a cheap pair of pliers in a tool box. Model 70's were made in the 30's, 40's and 50's by people who had pride in their work and furthermore, would probably use one of the guns they built in the field.

Today, it is just marketing, CNC machines and no eye to the lines, fit and function of a gun. There are many people making money in the outdoor/hunting business that don't know a bolt action rifle from a Subaru. They only understand marketing as they were taught as they get a MBA in some ivy league school and are so far from the products they sell, it might as well be baseballs.

I have lots of nice old guns and every one of them has killed or shot something. The next guy that gets it will be more enthusiastic about it than they will a Ruger American or some other equivalent junker that is being passed off as a gun in the sporting goods stores these days...

Turkeys2014b.jpg

100_0357.jpg

100_0372.jpg

Antelopewith50-70-1.jpg

DSCN0837.jpg

DSCN0853.jpg

100_3204.jpg

Hey Shrap..

Got a pic of your .410 Saiga?

Me and elk would screw them up for sure.

Last edited:
Righteous post - lets keep this going for a while. I have a few old shotguns I will throw on here.
Ben, & Shrapnel -> gorgeous weapons!

Righteous post - lets keep this going for a while. I have a few old shotguns I will throw on here.
Ben, & Shrapnel -> gorgeous weapons!

This is a close up of the Webley 12 bore and the engraving. This gun is early 20th century...

101_0020_zpsc2a990cc.jpg

That picture of the butt with the wood in the middle is nothing short of AMAZING! Holy Moly! Keep them coming, I am starting to get into this!

I am thinking I might put on my Sunday best and see if they would let me hold one of these types in the Cabelas Gun Library. I might even take a bath first :D,

I would post a similar picture of my gun and roosters, but it would hurt your eyes compared to those guns.

Can steel be shot from these? I would doubt it.

What choke do they primarily have?

Back