Favorite quotes by outdoor writers, gun writers, conservationists, naturalists, ect.

geetar

Recently someone posted a thread about “ Quotes for life “ which got me to thinking about some of my favorite quotes by people in the outdoor community past and present and I figured y’all had some to. I guess the boredom of March has got me in kind of a literary mood.

This has always been one of my favorites.

I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.
- Henry David Thoreau

Another favorite of mine.

Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
I am haunted by waters. -
Norman Maclean

A well-known one but great nonetheless.

"A peculiar virtue in wildlife ethics is that the hunter ordinarily has no gallery to applaud or disapprove of his conduct. Whatever his acts, they are dictated by his own conscience, rather than by a mob of onlookers. It is difficult to exaggerate the importance of this fact." -Aldo Leopold

Little long for a quote but I've really enjoyed this excerpt talking about Frank Linderman's last hunt with Charles Russell along the Missouri Breaks.

The two comrades had been happy together on many hunting trips. In the autumn of 1925 they had their last one. It was not a pleasant jaunt, except in the sense of comradeship. They really were, as Russell said, too old for the hardships which the open country and weather put upon campers. Linderman was fifty-six years of age, Russell sixty-one. But the moonlight still delighted them, as did the sheen on the frying pan, the shape of the deer's head. The spirit was willing but the flesh was weak.

1. You know you are truly alive when your living among lions Karen Blixen

2. When he was young I told Dale Jr. that hunting and racing are a lot alike. Holding that steering wheel and holding that rifle, both mean you better be responsible Dale Earnhardt

3. Years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do, than the ones you did do. So throw off the bowline, sail away from the safe harbor, catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, Dream, Discover Mark Twain

This covers my love for Africa, hunting, racing, sailing, life

1. You know you are truly alive when your living among lions Karen Blixen

2. When he was young I told Dale Jr. that hunting and racing are a lot alike. Holding that steering wheel and holding that rifle, both mean you better be responsible Dale Earnhardt

3. Years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do, than the ones you did do. So throw off the bowline, sail away from the safe harbor, catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, Dream, Discover Mark Twain

This covers my love for Africa, hunting, racing, sailing, life
Those are good @Europe. Earnhardt grew up about 45 minutes northwest of me. There are a lot of good stories and quotes involving him that get told down here in NC.

A well-known one but great nonetheless.

"A peculiar virtue in wildlife ethics is that the hunter ordinarily has no gallery to applaud or disapprove of his conduct. Whatever his acts, they are dictated by his own conscience, rather than by a mob of onlookers. It is difficult to exaggerate the importance of this fact." -Aldo Leopold

Leopold is one the realest to everyone do it.

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.” - Aldo Leopold

Here’s one for the waterfowlers.

“Very fine bird, the pintail. He doesn’t cheat, which is more than you can say of some people. He won’t eat fish on you, like a mallard will, or even like a canvasback will. And he’s the best-looking duck in the business, unless you like ‘em loud-colored like the French ducks,the big greenheads.”
- Robert Ruark. The Old Man And The Boy.

"A man who is hardy, resolute, and a good shot, has come nearer to realizing the ideal of a bold and free hunter than is the case with one who is merely stealthy and patient; and so, though to kill a white-tail is rather more difficult than to kill a black-tail [mule deer], yet the chase of the latter is certainly the nobler form of sport, for it calls into play, and either develops or implies the presence of, much more manly qualities than does the other....

"But, as regards the amount of manly sport furnished by the chase of each, the white-tail should stand at the bottom of the list, and the elk and black-tail abreast of the antelope."
- Theodore Roosevelt
;)

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MachineSub GN 4576225912G
Back