Best and worst hunting/outdoor writers

MTGomer

I was doing a little reading earlier and it got me wondering who the good folks on here think are some of the better and worst outdoor authors past and present. Who is the best? Is it O’Connor?
I like Duncan Gilchrist He was no literary genius, compared to others, but that simple, matter of (questionable) factness is also why I like him.

And for the worst, is it Ron Spomer or Craig Boddington?

I really like Wayne Van Zwoll when it comes to guns or elk hunting.
Robert Ruark is really interesting to me because he is from my home state and I understand the places he’s talking about in a lot of stories.
I don’t think I can read another Boddington article after him repeatedly defending that 303 ram last year.

I really like Wayne Van Zwoll when it comes to guns or elk hunting.
Robert Ruark is really interesting to me because he is from my home state and I understand the places he’s talking about in a lot of stories.
I don’t think I can read another Boddington article after him repeatedly defending that 303 ram last year.

Regardless of killing baby rams or not, his writing is as dry on the mind as inhaling a dump truck full of nature valley granola bar crumbs would be on the mouth. Just not my thing.

Regardless of killing baby rams or not, his writing is as dry on the mind as inhaling a dump truck full of nature valley granola bar crumbs would be on the mouth. Just not my thing.
There are definitely more interesting guys to read for sure.

Seems like I’ve read more than a few essays about grouse hunting either in the Northeast or Michigan than manage to make it sound like the most alluring pursuit known to humans.

Lots of great names mentioned. Rick Bass is probably still at the top of my list.

Glad to see Pete Fromm hasn’t been listed, the unapologetic poaching in Indian Creek Chronicles didn’t sit well with me.

I’ll add Charley Waterman, John Barsness and Keith Macafferty to the A list. Tom Davis writes wonderful upland stories. And, of course, Gene Hill. Some of his stuff is variations on a theme, but his dog stories alway bring a tear.

Never could understand the love for Nash Buckingham.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back