Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Montana startup becoming the Airbnb of outdoor recreation

Looks like we need another nonresident fee increase.

I do think this LT website is competition for the state/bm...and I think the state (and all western states) should up their game to match the technology/appeal of this site. The more nuanced control by landowners (specific days, group sizes etc.) all tracked/managed electronically seems like a huge plus. Rather than printing brochures and having a burdensome phone call process for type 2, just handle it all electronically. And even for current type 1 bm - wouldn't it be nice instead of putting a slip in a box you just login and 'register' when you plan to hunt those bm's...maybe even give some real time info on number of hunters so they can see what the crowd size might be like on a particular day...just so many ways state systems could be improved and a lot of good ideas from this LT site.

I do think this LT website is competition for the state/bm...and I think the state (and all western states) should up their game to match the technology/appeal of this site. The more nuanced control by landowners (specific days, group sizes etc.) all tracked/managed electronically seems like a huge plus. Rather than printing brochures and having a burdensome phone call process for type 2, just handle it all electronically. And even for current type 1 bm - wouldn't it be nice instead of putting a slip in a box you just login and 'register' when you plan to hunt those bm's...maybe even give some real time info on number of hunters so they can see what the crowd size might be like on a particular day...just so many ways state systems could be improved and a lot of good ideas from this LT site.
How many people would just sign up for days online for BM and never show up? Not arguing that the tech shouldn't be improved but I don't know if having online sign-ups for type 1 BM would help anything. I could see it being an option for type 2.

How many people would just sign up for days online for BM and never show up? Not arguing that the tech shouldn't be improved but I don't know if having online sign-ups for type 1 BM would help anything. I could see it being an option for type 2.

Numerous online reservation systems have had this problem. If you aren't charging for the service folks will scoop up reservations just in case.

Limit the number of days someone can use and it would solve that problem real quick. A no show counts as a day.

Need to really think about this:

As a non-resident buying a combination license, do you think I would rather give the 25% ($302) to hunt the block management properties or do you think I would prefer to just spend $700 and hunt this spot? Its really hard for me to know which way to go because so many of you on HT here have so many praising stories about the BM program and how it is amazing!

I WI where I live, there is a similar program for hunting whitetails and turkeys and I'm using it in a few weeks so I have an extra spot for turkey hunting. It costed me a whopping $25/day to rent the small farm where I've seen birds before on my way to and from work. All I had to do was fill out the website and I even got the guys phone number and talked to him. This doesn't necessarily have to mean that paying for access is expensive...

1680204751477.png

I don’t see a good reason to fix block management until other major issues such as season structure, management, nonresident licenses, are fixed first. The answer is right in front of us the people with the power aren’t looking for it.

As a non-resident buying a combination license, do you think I would rather give the 25% ($302) to hunt the block management properties or do you think I would prefer to just spend $700 and hunt this spot? Its really hard for me to know which way to go because so many of you on HT here have so many praising stories about the BM program and how it is amazing!

I WI where I live, there is a similar program for hunting whitetails and turkeys and I'm using it in a few weeks so I have an extra spot for turkey hunting. It costed me a whopping $25/day to rent the small farm where I've seen birds before on my way to and from work. All I had to do was fill out the website and I even got the guys phone number and talked to him. This doesn't necessarily have to mean that paying for access is expensive...

View attachment 270348
Seeth, that $700, of course, is in addition to your combo license. It’s not an either-or proposition.

Agree it can be an issue, but where type 1 is mostly unlimited it just gives a bit of insight to other hunters...no real downside to no shows since it's not exclusive. Type 2, agree some reservation limit or fee could help.

Or only allow them to be on for one day at a time
Since the money doesn’t come out of the no-show’s pocket, I think limiting their access would help but not cure the no-show issue. However, since most of us are in favor of increased money going to the landowner and less pressure on the resource, the only real downside risk is that people actually hunting that BM might get their family and buds to pile onto online sign-ups to make it look crowded.

I don’t think a program like this would be as big of a deal if the state managed herds correctly. 17,000 hard cap on non res either sex tags, tags issued by unit for both res and non res, no transferable tags under any circumstances ever, and as others have mentioned, changes in season structure and other management practices more beneficial to our big game herds. With the current licensing structure and tag allocations, this feels like watching a train wreck.

View attachment 270348

Just reading that guys review, there’s a lot of good archery hunting to be had on public and on BMA….it’d have to be damn good or have an outstanding bull for me to want to pay that or even think about it.

I don’t disagree with the reasoning why this service exists and don’t fault anyone for wanting to use it I see the benefits for the landowner and I think it’s great they are willing to open their property to some extent, but it is highly unlikely I’d personally ever want to use it for big game hunting.

For me a large part of my enjoyment for hunting is the freedom I have to explore and hunt. On that principle having the ability to work private land into those plans via BMA is very valuable to me. It would be a huge loss to see the BMA system diminished. Very thankful to the landowners that do enroll. Also very glad with the donate liscense fees option on Montana’s application now.

I didn’t realize it was a secret NR licenses funded the block management program. They have for decades. First, it was the outfitter sponsored licenses that did, and then after those were voted away the cost burden shifted to the NR combos.

Seeth, that $700, of course, is in addition to your combo license. It’s not an either-or proposition.
I was trying to point out that if I had the option to purchase my license with or without the extra $302 dollars (in which purchasing it would grant me access to all of the Block Management Properties) what do you think I would do? Have a little private place to hunt for about double or head to the BMA playgrounds where only the locals know about the ones that are still actually good

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ram0307
Back