Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Montana startup becoming the Airbnb of outdoor recreation

Not overly familiar with how BM works in MT but as I understand it the Landowner is paid to allow access. There are different types of BM land some unlimited, some limited, some signup. Also believe there was a recent push to increase payments for BM in an attempt to make it more competitive with hunting leases which was seen by most on here as positive. Do I have this about right?

If I do how is LandTrust any different? Is it the fact that the entire fee is paid by the one doing the hunting rather than being spread out amongst all folks that buy a license regardless of if they hunt the BM or not?

Because I love to hunt. If I’m being rude/offensive, please shoot me a PM or ignore me- not my intention.

mtmuley, are you insinuating there is a “group thought” on HT that I don’t match? If so, that’s probably accurate on some topics but I’m surprised when grown adults cannot handle a discussion in which opposing viewpoints are presented without getting butthurt.

Sometimes I wonder why you are on HT. mtmuley
I'm glad he is, makes it easier to keep cutting NR opportunity. I used to think that keeping higher tag splits was appreciated by NR, but then you read a post of his wanting transferable tags, commercialized hunting, leasing...makes that decision easier.

I'm going to maximize my efforts for residents that aren't in favor of that kind of nonsense.

I can tell you who will win that battle...as Wyoming residents are enjoying 90-10 for moose, sheep, goat and bison. I think a next step there may be to adopt an "up to 10%" amendment.

Time to get after 90-10 for the rest as well...elk first.

Last edited:
Because I love to hunt. If I’m being rude/offensive, please shoot me a PM or ignore me- not my intention.

mtmuley, are you insinuating there is a “group thought” on HT that I don’t match? If so, that’s probably accurate on some topics but I’m surprised when grown adults cannot handle a discussion in which opposing viewpoints are presented without getting butthurt.
I hear there's hunting boards that pander to your style of hunting, mostly Texas specific. Probably a better fit, try there.

Not overly familiar with how BM works in MT but as I understand it the Landowner is paid to allow access. There are different types of BM land some unlimited, some limited, some signup. Also believe there was a recent push to increase payments for BM in an attempt to make it more competitive with hunting leases which was seen by most on here as positive. Do I have this about right?

If I do how is LandTrust any different? Is it the fact that the entire fee is paid by the one doing the hunting rather than being spread out amongst all folks that buy a license regardless of if they hunt the BM or not?
Its about inclusion, Block manegment as well as our public lands are open to anyone legally able to access them, there is no segregation. LandTrust is leading us down a path where those with the financial freedom to spend income on access will receive more, better, increased access. While those who can not afford the payment, loose what was once open to them.

For us (the public hunter) to compete with these private options, we need to really up our game. Hunter behavior, time loss organizing hunter traffic, monetary return, etc. are all issues that are driving landowners away from public access programs and to these type of options. If we want landowners to continue enrolling in public access we need to give them better options.

Not butthurt at all. HT promotes access. Doesn't seem to be a concern for you. mtmuley

Its about inclusion, Block manegment as well as our public lands are open to anyone legally able to access them, there is no segregation. LandTrust is leading us down a path where those with the financial freedom to spend income on access will receive more, better, increased access. While those who can not afford the payment, loose what was once open to them.

For us (the public hunter) to compete with these private options, we need to really up our game. Hunter behavior, time loss organizing hunter traffic, monetary return, etc. are all issues that are driving landowners away from public access programs and to these type of options. If we want landowners to continue enrolling in public access we need to give them better options.
THIS ^. This is the difference between BM and Landtrust. One is public, one is pay to play, with the private market setting a market price. It's essentially private.

And the bigger problem is not that private landowners not registered with BM are playing, but that people are leaving BM for this option. It's a double hit on access.

I don’t think he meant you should get off of HT or anything, just that if your views are consistently antithetical to the mission and vision of 95% of members, and you don’t seem to post much about anything other than arguments, it’s just an odd marriage.

Anyway, this is an interesting topic. If not for HuntTalk it would probably be years before I learned about it. Some days it’s worth the rest of the bs.

consistently antithetical to the mission and vision of 95% of members

I respect your posts snowy, and I wish you didn’t view me as someone just here to argue. Thanks for the call out on that.

I do want to address the quote above- you would probably be surprised at the PMs I receive supporting my position on this topic in particular. I do think here is a very vocal contingent on here that all tends to echo one another any time a topic like this comes up (this thread is a great example), I don’t disagree there.

Anyway, sorry to those that I’ve offended on this one- will bow out now. Sincerely, a NR that likes to hunt and concerned about the future of how to do it.

Sincerely, a NR that likes to hunt and concerned about the future of how to do it.
In Montana it would be once every 5-10 years if we started putting wildlife instead of opportunity first. You might not like it but that’s what needs to happen. Unlimited opportunity is leading to programs like this and the privatization of hunting.

I respect your posts snowy, and I wish you didn’t view me as someone just here to argue. Thanks for the call out on that.

I do want to address the quote above- you would probably be surprised at the PMs I receive supporting my position on this topic in particular. I do think here is a very vocal contingent on here that all tends to echo one another any time a topic like this comes up (this thread is a great example), I don’t disagree there.

Anyway, sorry to those that I’ve offended on this one- will bow out now. Sincerely, a NR that likes to hunt and concerned about the future of how to do it.
You do come across as someone interested in hunting and the future of hunting. However, you do seem to miss that this forum is primarily about DIY hunting on public lands, advocacy for hunting and access, and advocacy for wildlife, particularly wildlife to hunt and eat. That is why the point of a common attitude on HT is expressed to you.

Although more often not that constructive or instructive, there is much debate on a variety of topics. But this not primarily a debate-forum. Again, it's about DIY public lands hunting and related issues.

I hate to see land leaving the bm for this. I’ve also looked at doing a lease in the past the one I was interested in was 6k for archery season. That’s a lot of money for that access something like this could make it so a few more people could hunt some ground they would have never got to. Most of the ranches listed to me seemed to small to even bother with if they where right in the middle of a bunch of private more than likely the game would be pushed into somewhere you couldn’t hunt anyways. Kinda feel like this is a money grab gimmick and won’t be around very long

So basically everyone wants the government to provide them with land and hunting opportunities (elk,deer,antelope,etc) for free.

Some of those are willing to pay more $ to reduce competition and increase hunting opportunities on private.

Then people get mad if someone does not agree with their view of hunting.

Always entertaining to watch the same people get involved.

The whole thing is a $ game. From rifles, camo, boots, optics, crossbows, creedmores, etc.. Hunters are always trying to gain an advantage. This is really no different.

If you are waiting for the government to give you better hunting opportunities I wish you luck. IMO you would be better off spending your free time making more $ than arguing on forums. If you spend 100's of hours on forums you could easily put that towards a side hustle and pay for private access.

1680105680945.png

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back