Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

entry level overnight hunt stuff?

gman82001

Ok guys my buddy and I are seriously wanting to try a few overnight trips next season to try to get back to the better number less pressured elk. My obvious dillema is gonna be cost to begin with but my next is I've always done day hikes from the truck or camp and I've always wanted to try but not sure if it'll really be my thing or not so I need help on what bag tent combo is gonna be a good starting point that wont break the bank I'm sure if its something I like ill upgrade but since were jumping in fresh I really need to keep everything as affordable as possible. I have an eberlestock x2 and jetboil so probly go with the dehydrated food for dinner idea and oatmeal for breakfast. Would I be better off with a filter or tablets for water. I undrstand totally that by paying less ill be packing more weight so no need to rub that in lol. Trips will be a max of 2nights at a time for next year as well thanks guys tell me what you think

Id recommend a good water filter. As far as tent and bag, there are lots of choices out there. Try to find the warmest, lightest outfit you can afford.

Personally I would say go for a good bag and scrimp on the tent. You failed to say when and where you will be hunting so that could change things a bit. For me I picked up a $60 Eureka tent that weighs <6 Lbs and a $350 Big Agnes bag that I got on sale for 50% off. A good night sleep is worth the price of a good bag and when it comes down to it with a good bag, a tarp could be all the shelter you need. If you don't sleep well you won't hunt well. I did 5 days this year with my brother in law. He bought my old X2 and used it on the trip. You can do 5 days in an X2 but you will need a few extra straps to lash stuff on. Don't forget a sleeping pad. My bag has no insulation on the bottom so a good pad was a must. I used a cheap $30 no name for my trip and it didn't go flat until the last night. Hasn't held air since but I upgraded to a Thermarest. Another option to a pad or as I use it a nice addition to a pad is a Crazy Creek chair. I have one that doubles as a 3/4 pad and I don't know how I survived so long without it. It weighs next to nothing and makes sitting on the rocks for hours glassing so comfortable that nodding off is not out of the question. I fold the leg rest part in and sit in the snow, stay dry warm and comfy. As for food the dehydrated stuff works fine. I also use a Jetboil and it worked awesome. I have a Sawyer squeeze filter. It works great, but it does take up more room. I have some tablets that I pack as backup but for 2 people x 5 days averaging 4 L per person per day for cooking and drinking, the Sawyer was spot on. Don't forget things like pillows, small inflatable ones work fine for short trips cost a few bucks and are small and light, and anything else you may think of to keep you comfy. Bottom line is go buy the best bag you can afford, then fill in the rest as you go. You can pick up a $15 tent from wally world that will work great if the weather cooperates but if you have a $15 tent in nasty weather you will feel better in a good bag.

Last edited:
6speed
Very well put! If you don't have good shelter and warmth you ARE NOT going to be a happy *camper*.
I have learned to plan for the worst because you are going to have the worst sooner than later. That, and balancing carbs and proteins.

Ok thanks guys it will be most likely early to mid Sept. In the southern wyo. Mountains I've been looking and sierra trading post has a couple big agnes bags and pads and we have a store here so I can atleast go check them out since size is gonna be a big deal for my big azz. I do like the idea of the better bag and lesser tent especially for the first year trial run

Find a buddy who already does it, and go through all of his stuff with him. That will likely teach you the most the quickest. Learn as many tricks before hunting season as you can, because hunting season has man more variables than August above 9,000 feet.

I would also recommend packing in 5 or 6 miles during the summer before it's miserable to get a feel for whether or not you like it.

I bought a 60 dollar Coleman pack at Wal-Mart a few years back because I was in a pinch. It took care of business and has been my loaner several times now. This was strictly for backpacking, but when the buddies needed a bag to help me get meat out with my bull tag, and extra cow tag filled it hauled 75lbs easy. Not super comfortable, but it got the job done.

If you have a sporting goods store locally you will see a bunch of stuff going on sale about now. Sports Authority has been clearing out all of their sleeping bags for the last month. Its a lot easier to justify 35-70 a month in pieces than 850-1000 in one sitting.

Listed below, are the necessities:

1. Comfortable waterproof boots- what's the point of hiking in where the truck hunters go if you can't stand on your feet when you get there? I wear Meindls and love them. My buddy wears Kennetrek and loves them.
2. Quality sleeping bag- Great explanation above
3. MSR/Primus stove-I don't use a jet boil because I like to know I can use it to warm the tent easily. Nothing wrong with a Jet Boil, just a matter of preference. Don't forget a few lighters.
4. Gaiters-Dry feet make all the difference
5.Polyester Clothing- I try to stay away from fleece, in the backcountry it's all about how easily you can get it dry.
6. Tent- Where you pitch the tent has as much to do with the performance of a tent as any other factor. Wind robs heat, so getting out of the wind will help tremendously. I currently own a Ledge but intend to upgrade. Wind gets in easy, but I have found places to camp where I can get out of it. I will likely be getting a Kifaru Sawtooth.

I hope this helps some. The best tool you can take into the back country is experience, get some this summer and it will aid you tremendously during your hunt!

Rent a tent and bag from REI, or other gear place for summer scouting trips and see what you like. Then hit their used gear sale and buy them for 1/2 price.

If I recall the University of Wyoming has an outdoor program with gear rental available for faculty, students and staff....
http://www.uwyo.edu/REC/OUTDOOR-PROGRAM/rental-center.html

In Pinedale the Great Outdoor Shop has a gear rental service...

http://www.greatoutdoorshop.com/rentals.htm

Any town near good hiking and fishing will have a gear shop that rents specialized equipment.

Ebay is another good place to find reduced price gear, especially in the winter. If you figure out what you want, just be patient and check frequently.

Hey thanks guys ... 2 rocky I had no idea you could rent stuff that's sweet now I gotta start checkin I.to that route

My Son and I just made our first Spike Camp hunt in October. We used and I highly recommend the following gear:

Tent: Cabelas XPG Backpacking 3 man tent with the footprint. The carry weight is 6lb 3oz, and it is 6"x16" pack size.

Sleeping bags: Zero degree High Peak Extremes. It packs 3lb 4oz and 7"X12".

Air mattresses: Ether Thermo 6. I found the full length pad at Seattle Outdoor for $55.96 each with free shipping.

NO WAY can I say enough good things about the Caldera Cone. No fuel canisters to pack in and then pack out. No lighting problems. No lost energy, it all goes to the cup.

http://www.trailcooking.com/store/glacier-pot-and-caldera-system

We also had esbit tablets and gram cracker "stoves", but did not use them, although I am told that they would have been better.

http://www.antigravitygear.com/trail-designs-gram-cracker-titanium-solid-fuel-kit.html

Katadyn Vario pump and a SteriPEN. Maybe the SteriPEN was an overkill, but when I'm pumping water out of a cow track, I don't mind an overkill in protection.

Last edited:
Thanks Magic I had not seen those pads it looks like they may have got out of that specific model but they have awesome reviews on all their stuff so I'm really going to look had at their stuff.

"what bag tent combo is gonna be a good starting point that wont break the bank I'm sure if its something I like ill upgrade but since were jumping in fresh I really need to keep everything as affordable as possible. I have an eberlestock x2 and jetboil so probly go with the dehydrated food for dinner idea and oatmeal for breakfast. Would I be better off with a filter or tablets for water. I undrstand totally that by paying less ill be packing more weight so no need to rub that in lol. Trips will be a max of 2nights at a time for next year."

My first trip in 1998, I had my sleeping bag from High School and a Cabelas bivy tent. Was it ideal? No. But it worked well enough. I had vinyl rainwear from my boat way too much food.

As a general rule of thumb you will find the lighter the equipment, the more expensive. With two days out in the field, the lightest equipment isn't necessarily as important as if you are going in deep for 8 days.

I agree with the comments above. Keep an eye out for deals. Research what you might want. Sierra Trading, Steep n Cheep, etc are clearance websites who may have old models.

Where should you concentrate your purchases?

Footwear- You should already have boots, but do NOT skimp! By the best boots you can afford and break them in. Your whole hunt can be affected by the condition of your feet.

Bag/Shelter. You should have a lightweight/semi lightweight bag down to 20F or so. (If you are hunting Sept). I have a sil tarp for shelter becuase it is lite weight. But looking to upgrade. (Pro-Very Lightweight and roomy, simple. Cons- Not as warm as tent, generally need trees to pitch properly, high condensation.)

Stove-Food- I think you have this one covered. I eat oatmeal and MH meals. Throw in some trail mix, power bars, jerky and you are sitting good. I have upgraded to a small titanium pot, but a small aluminum or SS will work.

Clothing- You will only need one set. It should be tech clothing or merino wool. But add in a small poncho for rain. If you wanted to upgrade somewhat, something like Cabelas Space Rain is a good shell and can add warmth to your other clothing.

Pack- You need to have a plan on what your needs are before this can properly be answered. Do you plan on using the pack for day hunting also? Do you expect the pack to haul meat? Or 1st load out? Or you will have a packframe?

Keep in mind, I generally am prepared to be in 7-8 days at a crack. But here is what originally used and what I now have.

Footwear-Danner Elk Hunter. Meindl Canada. Now have Meindl Perfekt. (Killed the Danners in one hunt due to getting wet. Thumbs down from me)

Bag/Shelter- Old heavy Bag. Now have North Face Cat's Meow. Shelter- Cabela's Bivy Tent. Now use tarp. Bivy tent didn't allow you to sit up and I wanted to shave ounces. Thinking about Big Agnes Fly Creek2.

Stove/Food- Orginally went cold camp (This was stupid and it sucked) Now have Esbit Stove. Cheap and simple. Food. WEIGH OUT YOUR FOOD BEFORE YOU GO. I carried out food in my first trip. STUPID. Measure out your trail mix per day. Put X number of strips of jerky in a sandwich bag per day. You get my point. I also carry one extra days food as contingency.

Clothing- Whatever camo I had. Now I have Sitka, Gray Wolf Woolens, First Lite, Core4Element.

Pack- Original Schuh Pack. Now have Kirafu Siwash.

Paid discounted prices on all clothing, pack, and sil tarp.

I have the Eureka casper 15 degree bag, its on sale online at cabelas for 80 bucks right now. Its about the best "cheap" backpacking bag you can get. Fairly light and warm, if its gunna be really cold I just bring some hand warmers and throw them in my bag before I go to sleep. Like you, I had to deal with the bit of extra weight due to a budget. For a sleeping pad I didnt skimp there and got the big agnes insulated air core. For a shelter if its gunna be fairly nice just a tarp. Other wise I bring a cabelas XPG bivvy, its only around a hundred bucks as well.

If you ive close to your hunt area, why not set up camp ahead of season and just walk in with pack and bow to hunt it when you can.This way you don't have to worry much about weight
I agree with earlier posts and say that a great sleeping bag and pad is way more important then the tent.I bought a BA storm king and insulated pad last year and it was awesome.Best nights sleep I've had in the mountains.I really like the fact that the pad slips into the bag so you can't roll off it.For water, I prefer a pump,but the steri-pens are suppose to work well and take no room from your pack

I've looked at the pen looks cool but more suited to a nalgine bottle rather than a bladder setup where you can just pump it back through the tube. Were gonna try some trips this summer and if everything works we may do Longer hunting trips rather than just 2 nights. Just dont want to get over our heads right off the bat.

I am kind of doing the same thing. Started off hunting out of a larger tent and returning to truck in evenings. Now we are going lighter weight and more mobility. I have picked up a relatively light weight tent and modified it to make it lighter. I bought a BA Lost Ranger with the air pad and pillow. I am a side sleeper and the air pad works better then a mat. I actually sleep very well in it. I too have the esbit stove. I have to get a good water filtration system yet. May also upgrade the stove to a jetboil. I am currently using a Eberlsestock Blue Widow bag. I like it a lot. I wish I could afford the MR packs but this will do for now. I also still have to get some trekking poles but otherwise I am ok with the setup.

Forgot to mention: You can rent and buy gear from www.hunthardcore.com They also have scouting services. Dan is a good egg. He has helped me a bunch. They rent both gear for base camp or bivy gear. I bought my pack, sleeping bag and binos from him.

I'm of the mentality of buy it once and don't worry about it again... If you buy cheap junk, you'll replace it in a few years and continue the cycle about twice more. You're money ahead to buy what you want the first time, not what will work... check ebay, discount sites, etc. Stay away from junk. Buy used if you have to get the quality.

Lots of great advice given. Keep it simple and don't over pack, there is a lot of crap that you don't need but you won't realize what it is until you forget it or get tired of packing it.

No one has mentioned a first aid kit. I always have one with me, no mater if its a half day fishing, or a 10 day back pack trip.

Don't double up on gear with your partner. Take one item and share it. Tent, spotting scope, stove, filter, rifle (depending on distance), etc. For me the only real differnce between a 2 day trip and a 10 day trip is the amount of food I pack.

I like to use a bag liner, and go with a 10-15 deg bag (down or syn). Unless you're camping in sub zero temps You'll be fine. I've yet to get cold with my combo of a 10deg down and a liner, and I've had some cold camps around zero.

Planning and 'gearing up' is half the fun.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Killcarp2
Back