Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Elkhorn MTN Bull

BowElkStalker

Well, my elk hunting season was fun and short. As a father of four little ones and a small business owner I do not get a lot of time in the woods. I hunt the Elkhorns which are right next to Helena, MT because I can be out of the truck within 30min and always see or hear elk during the bow season. If you do not draw a special permit you are allowed a cow or spike during bow season or spike during rifle. Very hard to draw a permit but I hunt for the joy of hunting not antlers.

First day I hunted I called a 5x5 that had little tines that I guess could be called 6x6 within 15 yrd. I used a cow call and it amazed me how he honed in right to where I was standing. He was upwind and looking right at me. What a thrill! After a bit he decided to turn broadside and walk right past. He had two cows with him and each one circled around downwind at 40yards. I pulled back on each but needed each to take one or two more steps to have a clear shot. Both scented me. The bull also circled around and did the same.

Second time out the weather was changing and the HOT wind always seemed to be at my back. The bulls did not start to bugle until about 6:30pm due to the heat and I worked myself up to above where I saw the elk the week before. I had a idea there were a few in the area and sure enough this spike came to my cow calling. This time I knew I had to move positions. He was 30-35yrds when I saw him and was able to move 25yrd parallel to his movement until I found a spot I thought he might cross in front of me. YUP, he did just that and I shot him at 26yrds.

For me this was a trophey as I was after a spike. Now I have a spike 26yrds,cow 40yrds, and raghorn 10yrds all with a bow.

I use block management to gain access to NF so this was public ground hunt.

I won't hunt until mid Nov. for deer with my bow. Office hunting party:D
picture.php

Nothing wrong with that bull! Especially if you got it with a bow. Well done and enjoy the office hunting party!

Ya, only in Montana do you get to go hunting with office staff and family. We really call it deer shooting, but hay, its still backstraps!

I'm pretty sure if you were going to design a mountain range that was absolutely perfect elk habitat, you'd come up with something very similar to the Elkhorns. I can imagine how much fun you'd have bowhunting in there.
Congrats.

Thanks for sharing and congrats on your success!! You can either look at it as a spike or an eleven point.:D right about now I wish I had a spike in the freezer. Thanks again for sharing.

Very nice!!! Only been through that country once, and for sure that is some pretty country you're hunting.

Very nice pic and thanks for the story behind it. Reminds me of a time I hunted an area with general tag for either antlerless or spike... no browtine. I called in a heck of a browtine... pretty clean symetrical 6x... I was hoping his harem would follow... though no such luck. I enjoyed the encounter and shortly after a few good shooting lanes - he wondered off.

My hunting partner he tends to like the racks... I do as well though my wife and I prefer the meat a bit more - It is a good compliment for hunting partners actually - though I think I am up for the big rack spot this year :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Live2huntelk
Back