Caribou Gear Tarp

Elk Hunting Withdrawals?

fishing4sanity

Now that most all the seasons are over, do you suffer from elk hunting withdrawals? It was fun while it lasted, now all I can do is look forward to next year. The first 5 photos are Washington elk in late winter near the unit I hunted this year, the last couple are from Yellowstone. I was just looking at pics on my computer and thought I'd share a few photos.

Attachments

• 1-elk.jpg
    1-elk.jpg
    306.1 KB · Views: 433
  • 2-elk.jpg
    2-elk.jpg
    391.9 KB · Views: 486
  • 3-elk.jpg
    3-elk.jpg
    342 KB · Views: 421
  • 4-elk.jpg
    4-elk.jpg
    455.1 KB · Views: 482
  • 5-elk.jpg
    5-elk.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 473
  • 6-elk.jpg
    6-elk.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 428
  • Vote-OYOA.jpg
    Vote-OYOA.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 473
Big Fin, I'm doing my best to help you out, hope it works. The other night I watched 'PigMan' and for the life of me I'm just not sure what that panel was looking for in 'Best Show' category, but that episode didn't work for me.

Yep, I am missing it. Now it is time do do like you, and stalk them with a camera!

Who has any time to miss it? I mean, wolves, lions, coyotes, bobcats, Fisher, Martin, etc. The list goes on. There's more to pursue than time.

I definitely am suffering from withdrawals. I got my elk on opening day of archery season all the way back on August 30. I'm ready to start my scouting routine for next year, but I think the weather is going to keep me from that for a while. Great pictures!

Just a joe deer / elk hunter - so yes, I am missing the action. This year was a quick bust for me...
Picked up friend and his two kids at the airport. Took them to camp that was setup prior to opening day - at my main location... (Tjones, this time I got my spot and lesson learned about chatty posts on locations from last years event... haha~! )

Unfortunately, my wife returned to our camp the next day with bad news, My buddy's father had a heart attack back home and we had to pack them back out and got them on a flight asap... Unfortunately (x's 2) his father passed away a few days later. At least they were able to spend some time...

I went back to camp where my brother in law and his two boys were there for the opening weekend / monday... We ran into elk though no shots fired. They left and I was solo the next three days - checked a few areas... spotted a few cows (had a b tag) and a decent bull - though he took off before I knew what was going on... :( I must have sat for 5 minutes on two sets of cows contimplating whether I could pack them out from where they were and for a cow, I just watched.

Frustrating though that is life. Hindsight, I should have knocked one of them down and just bit the bullet on packing it out. Reason I went in the area was due to unusual heavy pressure from walking road access area on one side of a ridge. The other side is a tough jaunt and extended difficulty to access. I figured it was worth checking out and had set myself to pack IF I ran across a decent bull...

Oh well, hindsight 20/20... I still go back and forth whether the next few days to get a cow out would have been worth it...
Meh, t'is life.

Until next season.

Oh and to note - great pics, thanks for sharing and I dig the last pic! :)

The week after elk hunting is the hardest for me. By now I am just getting through the workday and planning how I am going to get one of my 2 daughters to basketball practice and what route I am going to run when they are practicing.

I was lucky that this year I had a 10 day back country hunt where I was the head horse wrangler and packer. I even managed to kill a raghorn bull on day 2 of the season. I think this year I really got the fact that it is the "whole elk camp experience" with hunting with family, seeing some one kill their first elk , taking an old timer into elk camp since he couldn't do the work himself, all adding to the flavor of a 50% tag out.

But man, it sure is nice knowing the only thing I have to "do" in that day is get to the top of the next ridge and if I don't hear, smell or see elk, go to the next ridge. Repeat until dark then turn around. The simplicity is soothing.

Yep, going through withdraws bad! Still kicking myself for not taking the time to get an accurate range on a cow on the last day of season...shot right over the top of her, she topped the ridge and was gone! Lessons learned, take the 5 seconds to get the exact range, instead of guesstmating! Start planning for next years hunt! I will agree...GREAT photos!

Great photos, thanks for sharing.

Still have a cow tag in my pocket if I feel the need to punch another tag.

Buzz, yer killin' me smalls ('all you did was hunt elk' that is righteous!) Oak -- punch that tag please, and I will be happy to come get the meat. Please do not let 'er go to waste. (only 1 deer to make into italian brats and german sausage --- hardly worth getting the grinder out for.)

Regardless, yes I start having withdrawls as soon as I am unloading the meat pole and we are coming off the mountain) Great pics.

My wife and I are eating some of my elk tonight. I shot him in the first 3 hours of my archery season. I haven't been in the woods since the 15th of September and a week later I started to have the cold sweats, nausea and crazy wapiti dreams. I went to the doc and he said the only cure is forested mountain sides at 6 am with with smell of elk must in the air. So yes, I'm having the equivalent of full blown heroine withdrawals everyday!!

Thanks for the comments on the photos everyone and Jon Boy the second picture is at Oak Creek, the first one is down by the Naches River and #3,4 & 5 are going up Chinook pass near some creek that I can't remember, Corral or Clover I think.

Kind of relieved its over this year...seems like thats all I did was hunt elk.

Wow, you're really breaking my heart! Let me pull out the world's smallest violin for you.
tumblr_lc3kgc5JBN1qe12lxo1_250.gif

I have withdrawals big time. Another year of failing miserably. 0-for-elk lifetime.

Sometimes I suspect that I'm actually in my own personal hell, where I'll never kill an elk.

I went mature bull or nothing this year.

032-2.jpg

Bull.jpg

016.jpg

013.jpg

With about an hour of light left on the last day of the season, I found a group with a couple in them. About a half day's hike away, of course.

014.jpg

I'm not regretting pulling the trigger on a raghorn. Not one bit :(

Last edited:
Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back