Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Elk hunt suggestions

blue devil

I'm looking for a good quality elk hunt, where a chance at a NR tag is decent. Large area to roam where I wouldn't run into a ton of hunters. Any suggestions on state and units to harvest a 350 or better?

350 is a pretty tall order without building points...not that it can't be done

What is your weapon of choice ? If you are thinking about Montana, I would first choice 410 rifle and second choice 799 archery. Those two are good units for 350 plus bull. I've got a good spot of landlocked BLM In 799 thats been real good. big mule deer also! good luck.

Many places in southwest montana have a lightning strike chance of a 350, but anything over 300 is a good bull pretty much everywhere here. Even in Montana's hardest draw units a 350 bull is often an unreached goal.

"12" bases, 56" mains and 11" g 6's now that is a bull with a bow". - what is that really supposed to mean?

Many places in southwest montana have a lightning strike chance of a 350, but anything over 300 is a good bull pretty much everywhere here. Even in Montana's hardest draw units a 350 bull is often an unreached goal.

"12" bases, 56" mains and 11" g 6's now that is a bull with a bow". - what is that really supposed to mean?

Southwest Montana. I used to bowhunt there 20 years ago. Those were the good old days. Killed my first 320 bull there, 1994. In 1996 We killed a 345 gross with g6's but nothing over 350. I would have to agree, pretty hard pressed in the SW to break 350 on a reg basis. I just looked through my old kills and found a bull I killed in 1993. He would have had a 350 rack if he didn't have a freak drop horn on one side. Still not 350 though. Better not hunt SW mt.

Last edited:
New Mexico, unit 55 in the valle vidal area produces bulls that reach above 350. My friends daughter drew that hunt 2 years ago. The first morning they got on a herd, but instead of waiting for the herd bull to come from the other side of the ridge, she panicked and shot one of the satellite bulls in the herd. It scored 380. Although this unit produces monster bulls its not the easiest place to draw. But then again any unit that produces monster bulls is not easy to draw.

Bulls

If you do allitle snooping around in NM You could find some great places to hunt. Depending on your choice of weapon. Early season rut bow hunts are cool but this year the elk were still bugling until the 3rd rifle hunt up north in units 51 and 52. Lots of elk up there in any of the 50s. If you want big massive horns then Southern Nm is your best bet. Unit 36 and 34 are real good monster producers but In my experience any of the 16s in and around the Gila will get your chance at a 350 or better. I have been chasing a big 400+ bull for 3years now on the same MTN range in 16b and got side tracked by a 370 on the last day of my 4 day hunt. Dang Bull snuck in to me and scared me 1/2 to death when he screamed at me at 25yds. Saw lots of great bulls anywhere we went in the Gila. I have hunted these bulls from the 1st bow hunts down south then muzzleloader and finished with rifle hunts up north. NM has some good hunting all over if you are lucky to draw a tag. Only way to find out is to put in.

IMG_2317.jpg

Here's one I got in Buffalo Horn.....is he a good one? I'm hoping he makes 350... Whats a G10?

OK, I'm only kidding!!!

LMFAO Pat...

Isnt there a pic somewhere of Kurt or someone with a nice bull at Mammoth???

Wing... do you have a pic of the bull described in your signature?

Sorry GH that guy's comments are driving me nuts. I gotta let it go I won't tell anyone about your spot in the Crazy's or was it Tobacco Roots, oh wait the Bangtails:confused:;)

Breaks Runner don't tell me you got that on the Bridgers;)

I'm heading to the park line.

Sorry GH that guy's comments are driving me nuts. I gotta let it go I won't tell anyone about your spot in the Crazy's or was it Tobacco Roots, oh wait the Bangtails:confused:;)

Breaks Runner don't tell me you got that on the Bridgers;)

I'm heading to the park line.

I'm sorry lawnboy, I think you misunderstood my post. I was trying to make the point that SW mt is a good place to hunt! I don't understand why you would use another hunter to back up your,post., are you not a big boy?

Back