How Do I Hunt Public Land?

Bill Christy

If you are a newbie hunting your first big game public land hunt, the method you use can be confusing. Videos and articles created by professionals on private land, suggest many different approaches to hunting big game like elk. However, like every other hunter who has hunted public land on opening day, has discovered, hunting the "Pumpkin Patch" of orange vests can be vexing. Personally, experience has taught me that SPOT & STOCK hunting is about the only way of filling my tag on public land. They say, "Elk are where you find them." In my experience, this also holds true to deer hunting when a hundred hunters are chasing the same buck. "Improvise, Adapt, and Overcome" is the name of the game when public hunting. Thoroughly doing your homework prior to opening day will account for a lot of your success. Not only do you need to know where your game animals is, but you need to correctly anticipate where your spooked animal is heading for refuge.

Lighten up guys lol. Yes, that’s the name of the game. Overlooked areas maybe “too small to steep” etc.. they can work out sometimes. Thanks for the post.

My favorite way is to drive down the road and see a group of critters. Don’t worry about those pesky fences and just start blasting. Once you get a couple down you can either just drive right through the fence or cut it. Don’t worry about any of the stuff hurting your minivan it’s more for looks. Once you get them loaded in the back of that caravan go ahead and do a couple celebratory donuts before taking back off to your house. Oh and those guys that come knocking on your door later in the green they are fake police so feel free to fight them. Good luck!

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tzog
Back