Archery - Where to start - first year elk hunting

Jseag

This is my first year elk hunting. I have archery hunted white tail historically. I am 26 and from South Carolina.

What is your suggestion on where to start applying for tags and what units specifically to try and hunt to get the best chance for archery?

I have done a ton or research on Colorado and plan to apply for some limited draw tags then fall back on OTC if needed.

Any suggestions of specific units or areas?

Reactions: DJ1
This is my first year elk hunting. I have archery hunted white tail historically. I am 26 and from South Carolina.

What is your suggestion on where to start applying for tags and what units specifically to try and hunt to get the best chance for archery?

I have done a ton or research on Colorado and plan to apply for some limited draw tags then fall back on OTC if needed.

W T F 🤣

Look up Randy Newbergs videos for how to apply for NR tags. He’s very informative. I’ve never applied to hunt out of state because it’s quite spendy even in a neighboring state… if you’re 26 and can just go buy outta state NR tags OTC and actually make that trip and survive comfortably, it not be fiscally damaging, and provide the costs for transportation, taxidermy, butcher etc. I’d say you have the ability to certainly look up what “specific areas” you’d be wanting to apply for.. that’s my take. Absolutely not trying to be rude, I wish you the very best! If you end up in SW MT maybe send a message! That said, DO NOT apply for Montana… ✌🏽

SC?

that's too far away. You'll never be able to spend enough time on the mtn to learn anything.

I wouldn't worry about elk .

Take up hogs, or bears in your neighborhood.

Blossom where your planted.

if anybody is suggesting specific units on Facebook or a forum it's likely not a worthwhile unit. Research unit statistics on the state fish and game websites and then look at OnX or something. As a newbie it would be a good idea to get some experience in an OTC unit so you are more prepared for when you do draw a desirable tag

2 cents here do some research on OTC units and start building points your 26 and have lots of time for them to add up, once you pick a unit focus on it for a few yrs get to know where the elk are and learn to hunt them (their is a learning curve)
Dont think for a minute someone online will tell you a good place to hunt they wont the last thing someone wants is someone else and their 5 friends in the spot next yr
You can call state FnG offices and they will give you some direction on where to go based on your type of hunting Back country, truck camping ect,
One thing I find is eastern guys go to a place dont score and then a new spot then another it never made sense to me
and I live in Pa

You could always buy GoHunt's service. Colorado is a mecca GoHunt advertising $ king.

Colorado issues two types of landowner tags: unit-wide and private-land only. The unit-wide tag gives the hunter access to hunt on the private property for which the tag was issued, but also allows the hunter the privilege of hunting all public land in that unit.

2 cents here do some research on OTC units and start building points your 26 and have lots of time for them to add up, once you pick a unit focus on it for a few yrs get to know where the elk are and learn to hunt them (their is a learning curve)
Dont think for a minute someone online will tell you a good place to hunt they wont the last thing someone wants is someone else and their 5 friends in the spot next yr
You can call state FnG offices and they will give you some direction on where to go based on your type of hunting Back country, truck camping ect,
One thing I find is eastern guys go to a place dont score and then a new spot then another it never made sense to me
and I live in Pa
agreed. It is extremely hard to be successful in a unit coming into the hunt with no experience in the area. Instead of calling it quits after the first year with no success, people should invest mulitple years in the area to learn the area and how the game behaves. Moving from unit to unit will likely result in the same frustrations each year.

if anybody is suggesting specific units on Facebook or a forum it's likely not a worthwhile unit. Research unit statistics on the state fish and game websites and then look at OnX or something. As a newbie it would be a good idea to get some experience in an OTC unit so you are more prepared for when you do draw a desirable tag
Thank you!

Look up Randy Newbergs videos for how to apply for NR tags. He’s very informative. I’ve never applied to hunt out of state because it’s quite spendy even in a neighboring state… if you’re 26 and can just go buy outta state NR tags OTC and actually make that trip and survive comfortably, it not be fiscally damaging, and provide the costs for transportation, taxidermy, butcher etc. I’d say you have the ability to certainly look up what “specific areas” you’d be wanting to apply for.. that’s my take. Absolutely not trying to be rude, I wish you the very best! If you end up in SW MT maybe send a message! That said, DO NOT apply for Montana… ✌🏽
Thanks

SC?

that's too far away. You'll never be able to spend enough time on the mtn to learn anything.

I wouldn't worry about elk .

Take up hogs, or bears in your neighborhood.

Blossom where your planted.
This is a dumb comment - u should never discourage any hunter in any capacity from trying

and I live in Pa
Thanks man!

agreed. It is extremely hard to be successful in a unit coming into the hunt with no experience in the area. Instead of calling it quits after the first year with no success, people should invest mulitple years in the area to learn the area and how the game behaves. Moving from unit to unit will likely result in the same frustrations each year.
Makes sense!

You could always buy GoHunt's service. Colorado is a mecca GoHunt advertising $ king.

Colorado issues two types of landowner tags: unit-wide and private-land only. The unit-wide tag gives the hunter access to hunt on the private property for which the tag was issued, but also allows the hunter the privilege of hunting all public land in that unit.
How can I get a tag for private land?

How can I get a tag for private land?
I don't use GoHunt. I know they're the portal for selling landowner tag opportunities for $.

I value OnX.

Wish you the best with your hunt.

PS. I've not checked into them though I'd figure the Randy Newberg hunting education is a pretty good avenue to get rolling.

Back