Archery - Where to start - first year elk hunting

This is a dumb comment - u should never discourage any hunter in any capacity from trying
Hey Jseag some of the guys on here are just pulling your leg if you stick around long enough you will get to know the ones
theirs a lot of new guys that show up want info and leave so your gona get some guys having fun dont take it the wrong way
Theirs a lot of good folks on here and a wealth of knowledge if you stay a while

First I think you just need to come to terms with the fact that it will take a while to figure it out, and that you just need to go and do it to start that process.

Second it's considered uncouth to talk about units and spots just as a general principle and especially because if someone googles Wyoming xx unit, this thread will immediately pop up.

There is a ton to learn about elk hunting, finding them and dealing with them once down are the most important. IMHO they aren't particularly hard to kill... much easier than WT in many respects, once you find them.

It's going to be hard for anyone to make any recommendations without any information about you, fitness level, how comfortable you are camping, hunting solo, etc.

Personally, I don't think started with archery elk is a great idea for first time western hunters. Mostly because if you get one down you have a high potential to waste a ton of meat, they are big, it's a ton of weight to move, you need to work quickly in September when it could be pretty hot, and you need a plan to get the meat cooled off.

My 2 cents, if your going solo look at early - mid October rifle cow hunts.

If you are dead set on bow still consider a cow, and limit how far you hunt from the trailhead.

Why is that?

Here's a pro Tip:

People who give you the truth are the people you want to surround yourself with.

People who blow sunshine up your skirt just want something from you, usually money.
telling a guy to not even try elk hunting and just hunt closer to home instead of trying out west is def what could be considered . a “dumb comment”. The OP called you out correctly, so take your own advise about being told the truth. You have been told the truth. Hide from it or embrace it?

Colorado has been popular in part because it is, or maybe was, the last state that nonresidents could drive in and buy an elk tag day before the hunt. I would rather have a “general season“ tag in WY, ID, or MT but you have to apply early to get general season tags in these states and carry bear spray in many areas. I think Idaho sold out already, on December 1. Limited entry hunts are extremely difficult to draw in any of these states, but you have as much chance as any one else in Idaho because they do not have a point system.

Don’t listen to the guys messing with you. The advice to watch Randy’s elk videos and podcasts is good. Also consider one of the analyst services like Go Hunt or Huntin Fool. I can’t speak to any besides HF and like them. Good luck

This is my first year elk hunting. I have archery hunted white tail historically. I am 26 and from South Carolina.

What is your suggestion on where to start applying for tags and what units specifically to try and hunt to get the best chance for archery?

I have done a ton or research on Colorado and plan to apply for some limited draw tags then fall back on OTC if needed.

Any suggestions of specific units or areas?
I’m here with ya buddy looking for some advice 👍

The kid is asking for advice and help!! Im new to elk hunting also, hunted 5 years with no tags notched. Lots of videos out there to help you decide where to go. Its alot different than white tail hunting, but with some experience and advice from others you can have a good hunt. Good luck to ya

Go hunt. Its amazing and addicting. Research a couple areas using all the search functions on all the sights available. Get in great shape, physically and mentally for long days and a lot of work. Don't give up till the last minute of the last day. Theres people everywhere just do your thing and enjoy each day. Good luck.

This is my first year elk hunting. I have archery hunted white tail historically. I am 26 and from South Carolina.

What is your suggestion on where to start applying for tags and what units specifically to try and hunt to get the best chance for archery?

I have done a ton or research on Colorado and plan to apply for some limited draw tags then fall back on OTC if needed.

Any suggestions of specific units or areas?
You’re “young enough” where building points in a few states would benefit you in the future. In the mean time getting out there and experiencing elk in the mountains is priceless and cut down on the learning curve. NM is a state you should be applying since you have as good a chance to draw a tag as someone that’s been applying for years. Also consider UT for their spike only opportunities. You can’t kill branched bulls but you would be experiencing true elk hunting.

As far as asking for specific units or areas, don’t ask that ? again.

Good luck.

SC?

that's too far away. You'll never be able to spend enough time on the mtn to learn anything.

I wouldn't worry about elk .

Take up hogs, or bears in your neighborhood.

Blossom where your planted.
I’ll tell you what. I definitely agree. SC is way too far away to have any type of consistent success hunting DIY across the west. I don’t even know why he would try. Completely unattainable goal.

This year, apply NM & Idaho random. All species that you can get in for the base license purchase. Make a trip this year only if you draw a good tag in those 2 states.

Get CO d/e points. And buy WY d/e/a points (as well as apply for WY random) this year and keep researching for 2024 or 2025.

Travelling solo from SC for a newbie DIY otc hunt could be fun. But awfully expensive for what you'd be getting. Not worth fuel & tag prices imo. Get a few scattered points and the trip will be more worthwhile. And you just might draw a great tag in NM, Idaho or on the random side in WY.

It may be worth hiring a guide in some sort of wilderness non trophy OTC unit (more affordable). A lot can be learned in one year with an experienced guide. There is a lot to learn from gear selection, where to find the animals, what to do with them once you get one down. I know for me it took me a good 3-4 years to get the hang of it. If I was traveling that far every year I would have given up after year two. Just a different perspective but don’t get me wrong, a lot of fun could be had on a DIY hunt, the more critical thing is try and find someone who has some experience to help speed up the learning curve.

There is a lot to learn from gear selection, where to find the animals, what to do with them once you get one down. I know for me it took me a good 3-4 years to get the hang of it. If I was traveling that far every year I would have given up after year two. Just a different perspective but don’t get me wrong, a lot of fun could be had on a DIY hunt, the more critical thing is try and find someone who has some experience to help speed up the learning curve.
All truth. Good advice.

My best piece of advice would be to pick a unit in a state with OTC tags. Learn that unit and you will eventually have success. Jumping from state to state does not help. I have never had a hard time finding elk in any Colorado unit. I simply look for a place that will let you get at least a mile from a road and I have generally found elk. I have had great hunts on the Colorado return list. JMO…I would absolutely not build points in CO. I am north of two decades worth of points and still probably a few from the units I want. If I were to start over it would be ID, NM or OTC states with a leftover/reissue as a backup.

Good luck and I hope somebody has explained that is is very addicting.

Last edited:
You guys keep offering advice to a guy who quit site (as expected)shortly after asking the same question thats been asked as many times as whats the best caliber. Wish search feature worked better and people learned how to use it when joining.
He probably got tired of seeing responses from guys like you calling him out for asking for advice. Probably a young kid wanting to get into elk hunting and reaching out for advice from experienced hunters. Im sure you never had any help or guidance when you started elk hunting.

He probably got tired of seeing responses from guys like you calling him out for asking for advice. Probably a young kid wanting to get into elk hunting and reaching out for advice from experienced hunters. Im sure you never had any help or guidance when you started elk hunting.
Apperantly besides being bad at elk hunting you cant read. I havent posted anything good or bad for this guy because i had nothing productive to contribute. Maybe you need to start listening to people with real experiance instead of being a champion for failure. When someone ask where is the "best chance for success" as the op did: thats your que to not answer...

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back