Idaho Palisades 2024 elk hunt

Bill Christy

I will be hunting Idaho Palisades area for the first time in the 2024 season. I've been told the area along Highway 31 up to Liars Peak is a good area for public hunting. Does anyone have any other Palisade suggestions for a rifle bull elk hunt?

I will be hunting Idaho Palisades area for the first time in the 2024 season. I've been told the area along Highway 31 up to Liars Peak is a good area for public hunting. Does anyone have any other Palisade suggestions for a rifle bull elk hunt?
Probably one of the worst zones in the state when it comes to elk population and density... all i gotta say is good luck.

Last edited:
I used to hunt that area quite a bit and ended up abandoning it due to the pressure. We would backpack in and still see the hills around us light up with campfires every night. Also, anywhere in that area that is legal for ATVs and side by sides, there will be ATVs and side by sides...lots of them.

I remember seeing a big ol' moose and some lost domestic sheep one year. Couldn't buy a mule deer! Beautiful country though, depending on where you stand you have awesome views of the Grand Tetons.

It is a pretty tough zone to hunt. I recently moved to Teton Valley and no one who lives here hunts that zone. I have seen elk in there but sounds like densities are really low and it is a challenge. Beautiful country, however.

I also live in the unit and drive out of the unit to hunt. My first priority is getting a tag in Wyoming. They did a population survey around 2020 and only counted 400 some cows in units in the Palisades zone. A large herd is 5-6 elk in that unit you ll find you will end up chasing a single or maybe two bulls in an entire drainage. The vast majority of elk are hiding in private wealthy anti hunting landowners. Also they won’t give you access to retrieve or hunting permission. Most of the elk near the Tetons stay in Wyoming because WYGF feed them. If you are able to I’d exchange the tag and hunt an area with more wilderness.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back