Archery - Where to start - first year elk hunting

I just see alot of negative responses. Like you said you had nothing to do with that. My bad, just wish guys were more helpful rather than trash a guy. Wasnt just pointed at you, was in general response. I can help ghe guy in areas not to go 😁

Probably Colorado. Don’t let anybody talk you out of it. Pick an area that has high numbers and not known for trophy bulls. Idaho MT and WY are likely better quality. Success rates are low, not because elk hunting is an impossible task. It’s because 95% of elk hunters don’t care, are lazy excuse making pussies that will go out of there way to quit after a day or two of being discouraged.

Probably Colorado. Don’t let anybody talk you out of it. Pick an area that has high numbers and not known for trophy bulls. Idaho MT and WY are likely better quality. Success rates are low, not because elk hunting is an impossible task. It’s because 95% of elk hunters don’t care, are lazy excuse making pussies that will go out of there way to quit after a day or two of being discouraged.
In that case I look forward to hunting colorado come sept.

This might come off sticky but is exactly true to any archery elk hunt. It is not easy and anyone can be successful but to have continued success you have to grit it out and do what others won’t. (Hunt when it is cold hot snow ice rain wind) 90% of the elk will always be killed by 10 % of the hunters because they refuse to give up. That being said I hunted 30 days with a bow last year and never even knocked an arrow. It is hard but that is what makes it rewarding!!!

Pick one or two units that u like. Research old post other forums for Information. Ask questions but ask the right ones. Look at the success rates for the last few years on the units. Make a plan,depending on how much time your going to have to hunt spend all your time in one unit or divide for both units u pick. This past year was my first time ever elk hunting with my brothers. We were not successful but had a blast and learned a lot with plenty more to learn and can't wait to go back a lot of good guy on this forum with helpful tips and advice

Greenhorn pretty much nails it, you are late to the party in ID and WY at this point so just pick a CO unit and go, it's not that hard, relentless forward progress for two weeks and I bet you get a bull, most people just throw in the towel after two half ass days...
As far as advice goes:
1. Get fitter, the western mountains surprise most first-timers even if they think they are fit, you really can't have too much in the tank, covering ground finds elk and if you can't do that then you will be one of the 90% that never punch a tag.
2. Don't marry a spot, if there are tracks at a spot that don't have an elk currently standing in them they are not a reason to sit there for a week, be mobile, camp at the truck and go into different drainages every morning and evening until you find the activity you are looking for, elk are rutting somewhere if it's not where you are then you need to keep moving until you find it.
3. I'd pick a unit based on terrain, not so much for success rate, stats are easily skewed by private land and many other factors, buyer beware... better to decide what type of terrain and style of hunting you prefer and make your location choice to have as much of that type of hunting as possible, for example, I hate hunting flat dark timber, I'll take a unit that is mostly alpine terrain or oakbrush over a flat dark timber unit any day, even if the success rate in the timber unit is significantly higher, someone who loves stillhunting through timber would likely hate my preferred spots...

If you’ve done research, then you should have a unit or two in mind. Pick a unit and hunt it. If your homework was good, you should find elk.
Above all, don’t give up on that unit next year. Learn the unit, it takes time.
Everyone started somewhere.

Well, for one thing you're not taking into account the super high temperatures of the (enter any fall since 1990) fall, or the clear problem of the full moon during the peak of the rut. Gross.

Late ruts, early ruts, no ruts, silent ruts..................Gross.

When I get to a trail head and see 1 single car, I know the entire 100 square mile radius is hunted out and spooked...............Gross.

Downfall timber? Who in dafaque wants to step over that? Ever? Gross.

Spending all day in the woods without lunch at camp? Gross.

No cell service? Who in dafaque can hunt there without an Instagram feed? Gross.

In the end I'm not sure why I'm trying to inspire competition with a smart mouth. Carry on.

Last edited:
I wish I would have started when I was 26 instead of 50. Good on you. Apply in as many states as you can afford to start building points, AZ, NV, UT, CO & WY. You can apply in ID & NM every year since they don't have a point system. In 10 years, you will start drawing tags pretty much every year. In the mean time, plan on archery hunting, buy an OTC tag in CO and go! Don't let the weak sucks tell you it's too hard or too expensive. You probably won't tag an elk but you will have a great experience in some beautiful country. Plan on spending as much time as you can hunting in CO. The season runs the entire month of September and the rut usually is in full swing in the 3rd week. Spend a couple days getting acclimated to the altitude before you start hunting and get the high altitude products from Wilderness Athlete to help your body to deal with the conditions (can't stress this enough). Watch as many YouTube videos as you can from guys like Randy Newberg, elk101 and Born and Raised Outdoors. You can learn a ton about elk hunting from your couch. Whatever you do, buy a tag and go. You won't regret it.

I would try Utah. In Utah, you can put a Bluetooth Apple AirPod in one ear and have your buddy keep an eye on the bull or buck while he helps lead you into a shooting position. It’s almost not fair chase it’s so easy, but Utah people would say otherwise. Having a buddy along would allow you to carpool and split gas on the long trip. Don’t forget to name the animal, film it, and put it on YouTube, and also make sure your beard is well groomed and your shirts are a couple sizes too small. Good luck!

I believe you will have a really rewarding experience, whether you find elk or not, do your homework(as stated above) and your labors will eventually pay off. I was fortunate enough to land a job with an outfitter right out of the service and it put me smack dab in the middle of elk in the Colorado high country. I do not know what it is like there now, but I do not think the elk pay much mind to social media, at least not yet!

Best of luck to you!

Hope it works out for you to hunt elk somewhere. I am almost embarrassed on how long I have been playing the point game in several states for the few times i have been awarded a tag. Good Luck!

Well, for one thing you're not taking into account the super high temperatures of the (enter any fall since 1990) fall, or the clear problem of the full moon during the peak of the rut. Gross.

Late ruts, early ruts, no ruts, silent ruts..................Gross.

When I get to a trail head and see 1 single car, I know the entire 100 square mile radius is hunted out and spooked...............Gross.

Downfall timber? Who in dafaque wants to step over that? Ever? Gross.

Spending all day in the woods without lunch at camp? Gross.

No cell service? Who in dafaque can hunt there without an Instagram feed? Gross.

In the end I'm not sure why I'm trying to inspire competition with a smart mouth. Carry on.
Whiny excuses, cam kills a six point in Colorado every year

This is a dumb comment - u should never discourage any hunter in any capacity from trying
You do understand that his comment was sarcastic just as most of these are. Their point is, that you don't come on as a newbe and expect people to give up units or areas that took them a while to figure out. Like a cpl guys said, you are young, best bet is to get your feet wet first. These guys are a wealth of info, but put some time in first. It's just plain fun being in the mountains in the first place. Good luck and shoot straight.

This is my first year elk hunting. I have archery hunted white tail historically. I am 26 and from South Carolina.

What is your suggestion on where to start applying for tags and what units specifically to try and hunt to get the best chance for archery?

I have done a ton or research on Colorado and plan to apply for some limited draw tags then fall back on OTC if needed.

Any suggestions of specific units or areas?
Should be applying every year for that Kentucky nr elk tag!!! Close to home as well. Just go play with them if you don't draw. Might go a ways to when you draw or head west.

Hope it works out for you to hunt elk somewhere. I am almost embarrassed on how long I have been playing the point game in several states for the few times i have been awarded a tag. Good Luck!
The reason for that is this thread.

People trip over themselves trying to show off how much they know.

But the net/net of it, is that every time you help some noob, you cut your own throat.

The general elk tag in WY has gone from 50% draw with 0 points a few short years ago, to literally once in a lifetime at 5+ points because of threads like this.

It's probably too late, but if you ever want to draw a tag again, you should be waving people off, not holding their hand, and walking them through it.

The outdoors is finite. The number of humans isn't.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back