Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Elk Caliber for wife...

JoeSchmo

NOT a 7mm .08. We had a bull at 275 yards broadside, 162 grain lead with the 7mm .08, she hit the front shoulder. After a very, very long track. She got another shot at 80 yards, the bullet mushroomed on the initial rib hit and then without hitting any bone on the exit- didn't even make it through the hide!! BUT she did get her 1st bull!! She was stoked!! I'm still disappointed with the 7mm .08, has been a great deer gun for years....

What other calibers for wife... packing weight isn't a big deal since she is in very good shape... just don't want to make her kick shy.... what are some bigger caliber options with less recoil??

Ah... but the problem may be the bullet, not the caliber. What bullet did she use? The elk's shoulder is a hell of an obstacle for a lighter bullet. If you feel you must go to a larger caliber, think 308.

HSM Hornady 162 grain... up until now, I have been a huge fan of the 7mm .08

likely had little to nothing to do with the "caliber".

My son dropped a 6 point bull Sunday with a 7-08. 140TSX

Agreed that it was most likely the bullet rather than the caliber. 7mm-08 has definitely taken its fair share of elk. I'd use a 140 grain all copper or gilding metal bullet. Plenty of other calibers, but not sure they'd be way better. .308win, 270win, .25-06 Rem, .260 Rem, etc. IMHO the bullet is far more important than the caliber. Good Luck!

A .270 may be a good option if you are done with the 7mm-08. I can take it off your hands if you really need to get rid of it!!

Try a Barnes TTSX and you just might be impressed.

Last edited:
So probably bad bullet.... what about penetration up to 300 yards? Here's her bull....

Attachments

• 2015elk.jpg
    2015elk.jpg
    230.3 KB · Views: 734
I killed one at 410 with it, same bullet.

Thanks for your help! I appreciate the knowledge of people who know a heck of a lot more than me! Thanks everyone!!

I just hate watching an animal suffer for a couple hours and my wife almost couldn't stand it... she broke down a couple times.... Glad it ended well for her sakes.

My personal experience with the 7mm08 on elk includes two cows and two bulls, taken at 255, 310, 330, and 435 yards. Three with 140gr Accubonds and one with 140gr Partition. IMO a 7mm08 is very suitable for elk with premium projectiles and good shot placement.

What would possibly be the advantage of a .270 over a 7-08? Confused.

Probably aren't any that would make a difference to the elk, but he was looking for an elk caliber for his wife that is not a 7mm-08, so I suggested one. Simple as that.

Keep the rifle and get better bullets. I have killed elk with the 7mm-08 and 140 partitions and 120 TTSX's. It is my favorite elk caliber and has never failed me.

Last edited:
Depends on what your wife considers a lot of recoil...has she shot anything else? My wife shoots my 300 wby with no complaints. Hard to beat the 300 wm.

7/08 with the right bullet will kill any elk standing.

Chit happens.. If you want to try another bullet, I'd look at the 140 AB or 150 BT.

OK, where's Buzz?

I think you are getting some good advice.... fairly unanimous too... The 7-08 has been proven again and again as a good elk gun...

Get the good pills and do it again!!

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1sockeye2
Back