Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

What caliber are you using to get pass through shots on elk

chevyman181

Hello all, I hunt mostly deer and a lot of the places I hunt it's think and if the deer run off very far you're going to have to blood trail. I like a Caliber and bullet that leaves a good blood trail. I've only been a part of a few elk hunts but only one has left a blood trail. The elk I'n the picture was shot at 200yrds with a 280rem with a 154 SST. The bullet entered in the ribs and exited just in front of the shoulder you can see in the picture. This elk ran 400 yards and then was shot again.

I just like a good blood trail and am interested in what more experience elk hunters are seeing and using.

Thanks

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221130-131107-112.png
    Screenshot_20221130-131107-112.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 100
Exit holes are more about #1 bullet construction and #2 sectional density than caliber or cartridge. I’m surprised you got an exit with an SST shot out of any cartridge.

If you want consistent exits then shoot heavy for caliber solid copper projectiles. Or at least bonded core conventional projectile.

An elk shot in the right spot shouldn’t run 400 yards. I’m using 280ai with 160 gr accubonds. Most shots do not pass through but are found in the offside hide. Average elk distance from shot is 50 yards or less.
I was very surprised, things happen... The elk was quartering away, the shot went in the back of the vitals on the right side all the way through and exited in front of the shoulder on the left.

I shot a rag horn at about 80 yards with an 8mm Remington years ago. Funnel shaped cloud of heart tissue on the snow where he’d been. He went a couple hundred yards. Shot another with the 577 NE at about 50 yards square through the heart he went almost 200 yards. Others have taken two steps and fallen over.
I shoot a 338 Jarrett for elk, sometimes my 375 HH. Out of 20 some elk taken with the 338 I’ve recovered one Accubond. The blood trails have otherwise been relatively short if at all. I shot quite a few with an 06 as well. If I recall correctly those were all taken with 180 grain partitions, didn’t get pass through with all of those, found a number of bullets against the hide.

There is no secret formula. I have shot and killed animals that lost lungs and heart and ran, I have dropped them right there. Even with a bow they have just stood there as if nothing happened. Each animal is different. I just try to use the best bullet or broadhead/arrow combinations that I can find that are accurate and proven to be used on the target animal that I am after.

Exit holes are more about #1 bullet construction and #2 sectional density than caliber or cartridge. I’m surprised you got an exit with an SST shot out of any cartridge.

If you want consistent exits then shoot heavy for caliber solid copper projectiles. Or at least bonded core conventional projectile.
I've used Barnes TTSX, Nosler Accubond, Nosler Partition, Hornady Interbond and Hammer Hunters.

I believe they've all passed through except the Hornady Interbond. That was a facing-on shot just to the right of the sternum and went back to the left hip. Since the cow just tipped over, I wasn't worried about any blood trail.

Calibers are 7mm Wby, 300 Wby and 340 Wby.

Dad has used 7mm Wby and 300 Wby with the TTSX and also had pass-through shots.

This year we took 5 elk, all with copper bullets and all pass-throughs. I'm not sure I will use anything but a copper bullet for elk in the future after seeing the performance of each of them this year.

I have killed elk with 180 grn 30cal nosler partitions and accubonds all died within 50yards
I have killed elk with 7mm berger 180 grn vlds all died within a few feet of being hit.

Back