Caribou Gear

Barnes 127g LRX

What are y'all's groups with the LRX, particularly out of a 6.5 Creed? I've been a touch disappointed in my Tikka but they are certainly hunting accurate.
I bought a box of the Barnes factory rounds. The couple groups I shot were about 1.25” in my Tikka. The same rifle will shoot well under an inch with 147 gr Hornadys and 139 Scenars. The one doe I shot behind the shoulder with a 127 LRX ran a little ways, but I have had them run a little ways with the same shot from a 300 RUM and a 338 Lapua.

One thing that some guys overlook is the size of the target. 1"groups at 100yds are great for the bench shooter but unnecessary for the hunter. Just because a certain rifle will give nice tight bench groups, it's really unnecessary for a hunting rifle. Your target is going to range from a 6" kill zone up to maybe 12"" depending on the animal. Someone mentioned 3" at 2-300 yds. That is great for the average shooter.

I don't suppose you would share the Win mag load?
I will share it, but you need to do your own load work up as this load is HOT HOT HOT !!! I started load development for this rifle and went over published max load with no pressure signs. I was getting better and better accuracy the faster I pushed them. End result was 1/2 moa for about 400 rounds then they opened up to about 1 moa over next 200 rounds. I had
completely torched the barrel in about 800 rounds and had to get it rebarrelled. Proceed with caution!!!
Browning X- bolt 300 win mag
Sig Sauer brass
Win. large rifle magnum primers
H 4831SC. 77.5 grains
Barnes 175 LRX
COAL 3.527"
Velocity. 3190 fps.
Personally I will not shoot this hot of a load again regardless of accuracy. I am planning on doing load development for 175's with the new barrel and will not go over published max load!

I will share it, but you need to do your own load work up as this load is HOT HOT HOT !!! I started load development for this rifle and went over published max load with no pressure signs. I was getting better and better accuracy the faster I pushed them. End result was 1/2 moa for about 400 rounds then they opened up to about 1 moa over next 200 rounds. I had
completely torched the barrel in about 800 rounds and had to get it rebarrelled. Proceed with caution!!!
Sig Sauer brass
H 4831SC. 77.5 grains
Barnes 175 LRX
COAL 3.527"
Velocity. 3190 fps.
Personally I will not shoot this hot of a load again regardless of accuracy. I am planning on doing load development for 175's with the new barrel and will not go over published max load!
Yup that's a pretty hot load! I was thinking that I would start with IMR 4350. I'm pretty familiar with that powder plus I have a few pounds of it. Something I liked about the lrx is that they seem to really like the velocity up around 3000.

Not sure why I didn't have pressure signs. Brass was good for 8 loadings before I encountered the first loose primer pocket, which was also right about the time the barrel gave up, so I've scrapped the whole batch. I don't know if seating the bullets out that far created enough more case capacity that it changed the pressure curves or if the gun was just an oddball. The barrel definitely didn't like it!! Probably not the stupidest thing I've done but it ranks up there close to the top!

Is there a chart for minimum recommended fps for expansion on the LRX? I'm not looking for speed at muzzle but at point of contact.
Anecdotally, the interwebs seems to think it is 1600fps. Would be interested to see what Barnes says. I’d also think that would be subject to slight change if you shoot something hard— a scapula or big rib— as opposed to soft lung tissue.

Last edited:
I switched to these bullets in MY 6.5 PRC a couple years ago. Very happy with the performance.

I get ammo from Choice Ammunition. Chrono’s just at 3000 fps, and I typically shoot just over a minute out of the X-Bolt.

I use another load with the 156 Berger for elk, but the Narnes hasn’t let me down yet.

I started a load for a couple 6.5 squeezemoors today. 127 LRX over 44.5 gr of Staball. I'm not going to test anymore. A Ruger American Predator and a Ruger Hawkeye stainless both shot 3/4" off the bench at 100yds. Good enough.

I'm really pleased with the performance I've been getting with Absolute Hammers, but in my 6arc, the better BC of the 95LRX inspired me to try them out. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to get them to shoot as well as the 87AH and 90CX, but the velocity was excellent. I will try the LRX in other calibers though, its a great concept.

Sig Sauer brass
H 4831SC. 77.5 grains
Barnes 175 LRX
COAL 3.527"
Velocity. 3190 fps.

Dang, that's a quick trip through a barrel. What did you do for a new barrel? Did they match the factory contour?

Doesn't surprise me that much that you didn't see obvious pressure signs. It's only 1 grain more than hodgdon max for a 175 SGK loaded to 3.34" and 3190 isn't that uncommon for that bullet weight, just is with a powder not known for speed like h4831.

Last edited:
Have a machinist friend who does gunsmithing. He turned a 30 cal barrel blank down to match factory contour. Trued up the action/bolt and did his normal accuracy enhancing "magic"Had him make it 24" instead of 26" as I run a suppressor. Shoots less than 1/2 moa if I do my part.

Have a machinist friend who does gunsmithing. He turned a 30 cal barrel blank down to match factory contour. Trued up the action/bolt and did his normal accuracy enhancing "magic"Had him make it 24" instead of 26" as I run a suppressor. Shoots less than 1/2 moa if I do my part.
Sounds like a good friend to have!

Question on the LRX - the standard Barnes TTSX definitely likes a jump to the lands; is the LRX comparable in this regard?

I have a couple boxes of 7mm 139gn LRX bullets I'm intending to try in .284 win.

Question on the LRX - the standard Barnes TTSX definitely likes a jump to the lands; is the LRX comparable in this regard?

I have a couple boxes of 7mm 139gn LRX bullets I'm intending to try in .284 win.
Exactly the same process. I have one at .120 and one at .050.

Yes, you're definitely going to want to tinker with seating depth on these. I usually do a ladder test to find a generally suitable powder charge, then perform Barnes' recommend seating depth test:

1st group- .050” jump
2nd group- .075” jump
3rd group- .100” jump
4th group- .125” jump
5th group- .150“ jump

Back